Blackrock Caverns: Karsh Steelbender

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, guillex

Blackrock Caverns: Karsh Steelbender

Postby Sober » Thu Dec 16, 2010 3:54 pm

So besides Beauty (who you probably need 2 good CCs for), this boss seems to give me a bit of trouble, or at least everytime I tank him it's a bit inconsistent.

Firstly, his trash, the Conflagrations, how have other people dealt with them? So far my groups have kited them back into the hallway, so the quicksilvers freeze again, and then it's a 1.16M hp burn since it reduces the group's hp% and occasionally AOEs the raid. Seemed to have wiped each time if there is more than one quicksilver standing nearby since they seem to Flame Buffet. Fear works on the Quicksilvers, not sure about anything else (roots, etc.); haven't tried.

Onto the boss, I've seen strats where you only stack to 6-8 and then let it fall off, spawn adds, then use them, or try to tank up to 15 stacks (an achievement I think?). I suppose it depends on your healer. When his armor is melted, this buff stacks on the boss. I seem to have some problems running the boss out the fire pools for 2-3 stacks, but I've found the fire 'fountain' pretty easy, or is that a dps problem on the adds? Yes, I've been marking a kill order on the adds.

Adds seem to do 2-4k melees on me, so you can't really just spawn adds willy-nilly, 4 or so show up everytime the vents go off.
Sober

Re: Blackrock Caverns: Karsh Steelbender

Postby d503 » Thu Dec 16, 2010 4:07 pm

Here's what we do:

Conflags - Try to pull the conflag to an area where there aren't too many quicksilvers. Any that do end up coming with the conflag, have another class taunt them out of the area of the conflag and "tank" them until they harden up. This will only prevent 1 dpser from being on the conflag, and have everyone else beating it down.

Boss - I do a "two stack at a time" strat. Put the boss in for 2 stacks, then take him out. Before the buff expires, put him in for another 2 stacks, then take him out. Lastly, put him in for 2 final stacks (6 total) and pull him out. Let the buff fall off and have the adds pop out. Get all adds on you with 1 hammer and stop attacking them. At that point, have each DPS pull an add off of you, and outside the outer ring (that shoots up the flames). Have them solo the add outside. This works best with Taunts and Distracting Shot. I wouldn't recommend them trying to DPS the add to get it off you, they might kill it under him. You can Crusader Strike and WoG to ease the healers a bit. Once the adds are all down and DPS are back in, drag the boss in for another 6 stacks, 2 at a time.

Hope this helps!
d503

Postby Gracerath » Fri Dec 17, 2010 1:34 am

Not knowing any better, someone was feeding me a strat suggesting going up to 10-12 stacks, 1-2 at a time. Needless to say, it didn't work well. I think he said he was using wowwiki. I went to wowhead and comments there suggest the strat posted above. I only read it after the group had broken up, naturally.

From now on, I'm doing all my own research and not assuming anyone else knows what the hell they are doing.
Bye space sword!
Gracerath
Maintankadonor

Postby Goodheart » Fri Dec 17, 2010 4:02 am

I did this fight as a healer and noticed that 10ish stacks are basicly the maximum I can handle with decent 333 gear. As long as you pause a while between stacks at 5+ to let me heal up the group, it's doable.
This also reduces the hassle with adds, since it usually only takes 2 cycles to 10 stacks to kill him.
Goodheart

Postby pyrile » Fri Dec 17, 2010 8:23 am

just pull 1 of the conflags up on the staircase one at a time preferrably and nuke it the quicksilvers will harden, then pull the other one near the bottom of the staircase, try to keep the conflag away from the hardened quicksilvers on the top of the staircase or he will activate them, and for boss just make your inital pull so that he will run through the flame pillar, do not let him stay in the column, he gains a real nasty damage buff use cooldowns as needed, once he looses his debuff/buff just run the boss through the column again, rinse repeat.

as for beauty not sure why you need to cc the babies, just pull 3 of them either all at once or one at a time. just have all dps & the healer stay behind the mobs as you walk backwards down the boss's entrance hallway moving when they drop the puddles. NOTE do not kill runty the 4th baby, if you kill all the babies it will insta enrage beauty and she will become unkillable.
pyrile

Postby Forgrim » Fri Dec 17, 2010 8:31 am

pyrile wrote:as for beauty not sure why you need to cc the babies, just pull 3 of them either all at once or one at a time. just have all dps & the healer stay behind the mobs as you walk backwards down the boss's entrance hallway moving when they drop the puddles. NOTE do not kill runty the 4th baby, if you kill all the babies it will insta enrage beauty and she will become unkillable.

On heroic, they all pull at the same time, causing mass havoc without CC. 2 babies + beauty = chaotic but manageable. 3 babies + beauty = holy shit run for your life.
Forgrim

Postby pyrile » Fri Dec 17, 2010 8:49 am

Well i cant speak for heroics quite yet only 84, but if the figth mechanics are the same you could treat this boss like Grobbulus or Putricide, where the tank will walk backwards around in a circle, clockwise/counter whatever works best for you. I would mark the three babies and kill them first. from what you mentioned that is how I would go about tanking that boss in heroics
pyrile

Postby Forgrim » Fri Dec 17, 2010 11:43 am

pyrile wrote:Well i cant speak for heroics quite yet only 84, but if the figth mechanics are the same you could treat this boss like Grobbulus or Putricide, where the tank will walk backwards around in a circle, clockwise/counter whatever works best for you. I would mark the three babies and kill them first. from what you mentioned that is how I would go about tanking that boss in heroics

The's the presumed way to do it, but at the current state of things, the amount of dps three babies + mommy puts out is unsustainable for a healer. That, and Beauty has an AOE fear so if ur tanking the 3 babies while everyone's running around feared, unless you can break the fear and start healing urself, its pretty doomed. that's why at the minimum, i think 1 cc is needed at this current time. I consider this fight trivial if you have 2 cc's, and still fairly easy with 1 cc. The difficulty just jumps without at least 1 CC.
Forgrim

Postby Belloc » Fri Dec 17, 2010 12:20 pm

Generally speaking, if you don't have the CC to do Beauty, you don't have the CC to clear to her in the first place.
Belloc

Postby inthedrops » Sat Dec 18, 2010 6:56 pm

Beauty gets easier with gear so just come back later. It's possible to tank all three and the boss in 346 gear if your group is at that point already. Good cooldowns, human racial for any scary fear etc.

The Steelbender, I've tanked it only twice. However we recently worked on the 15 stack achievement. And I've got to say, it was soooo much easier to tank when going for the achievement than doing it the "5 then drop stacks" way.

Regardless of which way you do it. Try to get only 1 stack at a time, not two. The reason is that often he stops to do his melee attack thing and ends up getting two anyway. If you're trying for two, he'll get 3. And you'll be getting too many adds.

I feel strongly that you should get 1 on him. Before it expires, get a second, and keep going up until the point where it's too much for your healer. For us, we were fine up until the 15 mark (I accidentally got him to 16) but I'd think 10 would be more ideal for a guild run (non-pug). Only then let it drop. I honestly think 5 is too small an amount for more guilds people. It actually makes it more difficult for the tank due to adds.

The nice benefit of this is that there are zero adds to take care of, and the fight ends quickly. And you'll probably end up with the achievement. You just have to save your cooldowns for the end, including Divine Guardian. Pop DG just before you take him in for those last stack or two as they will hurt the party the most. Save up three Holy Power so you can wog the healer too, have lay on hands ready, all that jazz.
inthedrops
Maintankadonor

Postby fuzzygeek » Sat Dec 18, 2010 7:12 pm

Belloc wrote:Generally speaking, if you don't have the CC to do Beauty, you don't have the CC to clear to her in the first place.

I don't think this is necessarily true. I've carried some poorly geared DPS through this instance without CC, but Beauty was beyond their ken.

For , I've never been able to get fewer than 2 stacks on him at a time. I blame the felf hitbox.
fuzzygeek
Maintankadonor

Postby Bashe » Wed Dec 22, 2010 6:41 am

Gracerath wrote:Not knowing any better, someone was feeding me a strat suggesting going up to 10-12 stacks, 1-2 at a time. Needless to say, it didn't work well. I think he said he was using wowwiki. I went to wowhead and comments there suggest the strat posted above. I only read it after the group had broken up, naturally.

Why needless to say? I do it this way and it works just fine.

- Build up 10 stacks, slowly. Don't just go in and out all the time, start to go back in at around 8s left on the debuff. Give your healer time to deal with the aoe damage. Your ranged dps can hug the circle of healing or whatnot.
- At 10 stacks, just let it drop off. This spawns the adds. Now you tank him while the adds get dragged off to the side somewhere and dealt with. Don't drag him into the fire at all at this point. During this phase boss dps is almost negligible.
- Once the adds are dead, you start the cycle from the beginning, which is a nice moment to hit offensive cooldowns for everyone.

Doing it like this, and with somewhat decent dps, it's very unlikely to go into another round but if you have to, let the debuff drop off at 10 stacks again. If you screw up and the stacks fall off by accident, deal with the adds first, before going back to the cycle.
Bashe

Postby Njall » Wed Dec 22, 2010 6:44 am

Blue post today says that the debuff is being extended to 17 seconds from 12.
Flight to Peru: £1000
Camping gear: £200
Native guide: £50
Sledgehammer to break down stone door: £12.99
Awakening one of the Great Old Ones: priceless.

There are some things man was not meant to know. For everything else,
there's Mastercard.
Njall
Maintankadonor

Postby Goodheart » Wed Dec 22, 2010 6:46 am

That should make it possible to kill him before the first 10-stack debuff ends :3
Goodheart

Postby Bashe » Wed Dec 22, 2010 6:47 am

Njall wrote:Blue post today says that the debuff is being extended to 17 seconds from 12.

Wow. That should pretty much trivialize it, at least from the tank's pov.
Bashe

Next

Return to Normal and Heroic 5-Man Dungeons