sorry had to
Rachmaninoff

Re: deleted

Postby thatguy » Fri Dec 10, 2010 11:18 am

thatguy

Postby Fridmarr » Fri Dec 10, 2010 10:21 pm

Njall wrote:
Barathorn wrote:All we got by way of notification of this on the news in England was a clip of someone on Fox news saying that whoever leaked this stuff should be executed and the newsreader didn't even comment on that after the guy said it!

I was more shocked that people can say that on a major news channel and not even be questioned about it than the actual leaks which are likely to contain nothing of interest.

It's Fox. Often the voice of the hysterical and/or unthinking - and that's what they are paid to do. Sad, really, how Yellow Journalism has become the norn in the US media.

And then there is the rest of the media, equally hysterical and/or unthinking, just representing the opposite side of the fence.
Fridmarr
Global Mod

Re: Wikileaks Department of State documents

Postby Brekkie » Sat Dec 11, 2010 4:43 am

its certainly not just Fox, Fox just tends to be slightly more blatant about it. But MSNBC is no better.

Personally I get a lot of my news from BBC.
Theckhd wrote:big numbers are the in-game way of expressing that Brekkie's penis is huge.
Brekkie

Postby Njall » Sat Dec 11, 2010 7:39 am

Fridmarr wrote:And then there is the rest of the media, equally hysterical and/or unthinking, just representing the opposite side of the fence.

I keep forgetting that, for a significant portion of the US populace that there is no such thing as moderates or middle ground. Thank you for reminding me of this.
Flight to Peru: £1000
Camping gear: £200
Native guide: £50
Sledgehammer to break down stone door: £12.99
Awakening one of the Great Old Ones: priceless.

There are some things man was not meant to know. For everything else,
there's Mastercard.
Njall
Maintankadonor

Postby Brekkie » Sat Dec 11, 2010 9:49 am

I wouldn't point that totally at the American public. The two-opposing fanatical sides dynamic is a narrative that sells better in the news media, so its what is displayed.
The closest thing to moderates in television are probably the stand up comedians, simply because they make fun of everybody and will at least hear someone out on their view point.
Theckhd wrote:big numbers are the in-game way of expressing that Brekkie's penis is huge.
Brekkie

Postby Fridmarr » Sat Dec 11, 2010 11:18 am

Brekkie wrote:its certainly not just Fox, Fox just tends to be slightly more blatant about it. But MSNBC is no better.

Personally I get a lot of my news from BBC.

I don't think you'll find the BBC is any better really, there's a reason why of all the coverage of wikileaks available for them to show that they chose the one Barathorn saw, but their perspective is at least refreshing. In fairness I haven't seen any form of cable news in a long time, in fact I don't even know what channel any of them are on since I moved, and that was 4 years ago. If I listen to news it is usually NPR, but they have their own jar of flies in this regard.

Anyhow, I had read Koppel's article when it was published (and he's as guilty as anyone btw). That article was a byproduct of the criticism of the election night coverage by MSNBC, which was handled mostly by pundits apparently. Fox isn't more blatant, they are more honest about it (lol "fair and balanced" is still their slogan right?), but that's only because they were forced to be. Eventually the rest will likely have to deal with that too.

Really though, I think the whole journalism profession is deluding itself in its concept of being unbiased. Just read through the wires on any given day, and you'll easily see the problem is ubiquitous around the globe. Then again, who says it's really a problem?
Fridmarr
Global Mod

Postby Melathys » Sat Dec 11, 2010 12:35 pm

I've given up watching any news network for years now. I listen to NPR though.
Melathys

Postby Alviarin » Sat Dec 11, 2010 1:54 pm

What's NPR please? :?:
Alviarin

Postby Melathys » Sat Dec 11, 2010 2:18 pm

National Public Radio

http://www.npr.org/

Its completely donation driven. So they don't owe allegiance to any commercial entity.
Melathys

Postby Heil » Sat Dec 11, 2010 2:27 pm

Melathys wrote:National Public Radio

Its completely donation driven. So they don't owe allegiance to any commercial entity.

more on that topic here.

I find it interesting how simple it was to pull up their funding.
Name's Panda, G. D. Panda.
Heil

Postby Thalia » Sat Dec 11, 2010 2:43 pm

Melathys wrote:National Public Radio

Actually they are subsidized quite a bit by your tax dollars. They get Federal, State, and Local government funding. They can't stay afloat on pure donations.
Thalia

Postby Melathys » Sat Dec 11, 2010 3:07 pm

either way, I find their news better to listen to than CNN, Fox etc, which are profit driven.

honestly, sometimes I think you get better news from here http://www.theonion.com/ than anywhere else........ :P
Melathys

Postby Brekkie » Mon Nov 21, 2011 10:58 am

Shameless necro

The Article 32 hearing for PFC Bradley Manning will begin on December 16, 2011 at Fort Meade, Maryland. The hearing is expected to last approximately five days. With the exception of those limited times where classified information is being discussed, the hearing will be open to the public.

In other news, Anonymous wants to launch an attack against the Department of Defense Press Secretary in protest.
Brekkie

Previous

Return to Arkham Asylum