So...is Ret suppose to be this.....gappy ?

Ret, Holy, PVP, etc

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Baelor

So...is Ret suppose to be this.....gappy ?

Postby sherck » Fri Dec 10, 2010 6:25 am

I Ret off-spec to quest and do dailies.

On just normal mobs, I mostly save my AoE abilites as well as CDs (AW, Zealotry) for when I get an add unexpecently which is fairly often in Hyjal with the current respawn rate of some mobs.

For single target mobs, I typically pull with Exorcism, cast Judgement as the mob is inbound, hit CS as soon as the mob is in melee range and then....wait for a proc or wait until CS is up again and then....wait for a proc or until Judgement if off CD and then....wait for CS again and then hit TV and start all over again.

There is a fair amount of waiting if nothing procs.

Is this the way it is suppose to be? Is there suppose to be a fair amount of down time if you don't get an proc? Am I doing it wrong?

Cheers,
sherck

Re: So...is Ret suppose to be this.....gappy ?

Postby Flex » Fri Dec 10, 2010 8:53 am

Holy Wrath isn't a true AoE ability. Maximum damage is done to one target, so use it! Also reforge everything to haste.
We live in a society where people born on third base constantly try to steal second, yet we expect people born with two strikes against them to hit a homerun on the first pitch.
Flex

Postby Kelaan » Fri Dec 10, 2010 10:51 am

sherck wrote:For single target mobs, I typically pull with Exorcism, cast Judgement as the mob is inbound, hit CS as soon as the mob is in melee range and then....wait for a proc or wait until CS is up again and then....wait for a proc or until Judgement if off CD and then....wait for CS again and then hit TV and start all over again.

My 'rotation' usually ends up being something like:
(exo or judge) CS -> judge -> CS -> Holy Wrath -> CS -> TV (and then if it is still alive, CS or Hammer of Wrath)

I normally kill things in Vash'j with about 1.5 of these rotations. Using CLCRet or power auras to notify you when you have a free 3-point holy power ability is KEY: TV is higher priority than anything. It procs more than you might imagine. Exorcism and Judgement are meant to be fillers between CS-es, so using them together on the pull is making your rotation more frustrating. You can use Holy Wrath if you have neither of them up.

Stack haste for as close to 3 sec GCDs as possible. This is harder as ratings decay when we level. I have something like a 3.8 second cooldown on my CS, now. However, TV (and free TVs) are such a large contributor to damage that delaying the holy power generation by going CS-X-Y-CS-... seems like a net loss. Mileage and theorycraft may vary, but basically strength and haste are two things you want to stack. (Well, and hit cap ;))
Kelaan

Postby Njall » Fri Dec 10, 2010 11:08 am

Kelaan wrote:
sherck wrote:For single target mobs, I typically pull with Exorcism, cast Judgement as the mob is inbound, hit CS as soon as the mob is in melee range and then....wait for a proc or wait until CS is up again and then....wait for a proc or until Judgement if off CD and then....wait for CS again and then hit TV and start all over again.

My 'rotation' usually ends up being something like:
(exo or judge) CS -> judge -> CS -> Holy Wrath -> CS -> TV (and then if it is still alive, CS or Hammer of Wrath)

Do you use Inquisition in this "rotation" at any point?
Flight to Peru: £1000
Camping gear: £200
Native guide: £50
Sledgehammer to break down stone door: £12.99
Awakening one of the Great Old Ones: priceless.

There are some things man was not meant to know. For everything else,
there's Mastercard.
Njall
Maintankadonor

Postby Kelaan » Fri Dec 10, 2010 5:27 pm

Njall wrote:My 'rotation' usually ends up being something like:

Do you use Inquisition in this "rotation" at any point?[/quote]

No, but not for any good reasons that matter:

- I haven't trained it (I'm 83 now but haven't been near a trainer)
- I have no idea where I'd keybind it. ;) Maybe an alt-q macro...
- Things in Vash'jir die too fast to matter IMO.
- When I mine in uldum/THL, I'm prot for safety.
- The few dungeons I've done (1x each of Throne, BRC, and Vortex Pinnacle) have all been as a tank so I haven't fought anything that lived more than two cycles of this.

I suspect that when I get to harder dungeons, or play as DPS, I'll use Inq for boosting AOE damage, or in ways recommended by EJ. I haven't read up on Inq's value theorycraft in a while. So, the short answer is, "no, because i'm playing like a scrub like now and leveling archaeology". :D
Kelaan

Postby cerwillis » Fri Dec 10, 2010 7:27 pm

On the topic of inquisition, when I finish a mob off and have 3 HP, I use WoG if I need it and Inq if I don't, in theory pulling the next mob as quickly as possible. Also Eternal Glory is sweet for ret questing, and often makes it so you can use both.
Mistawillis - Cerwillis - Turbowillis - Evilan
<Silent Resolve> Durotan/SW:TOR Shii-Cho
Miniwillis <PK> SC
cerwillis
Maintankadonor

Return to Off-specs & Other Classes