Cataclysm Basics

How to get started.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, lythac

Cataclysm Basics

Postby Knucklehead » Thu Dec 09, 2010 5:46 am

I would like to apologize if this info is posted elsewhere. I did a few keyword searches and browsed through the most recent topics and I did not see it. I am leveling my pally as prot simply beacause I enjoy it. I know ret would probably be faster...so please don't blast me. So here are a few questions

What seals should I be using and when. I have generally only used truth for all situations. Insight seems to lean towards a good solo seal correct? Will I ever swap seals in a instance/raid?

I have gotten in the habit of saving all holy power for Shield Slam. Now comes inquisition. How do I mix this in and should I even be using it?

Is there a set rotation for single targets and AOE pulls?

I seemed to be having some snap aggro problems last night with larger pulls. I was grouped with guildies that I really have not seen this issue before. This is one of the reasons I thought it might be good to re-explore the way I am doing things

Thanks in advance
Knucklehead

Re: Cataclysm Basics

Postby lythac » Thu Dec 09, 2010 8:10 am

I think most of your questions are answered here - 4.0 Tankadin FAQ - Protection Paladin Basics.

As for Insight being a good seal for solo leveling, I haven't had to use it yet but only done the first part of Vashj'ir. With all the judging I seem to be doing always have a tonne of mana so I chuck a Holy Light on myself between every 10 mobs or so, generally keeping above 90% which seems to reduce Horde attention. I seem to be the only Alliance player on my server who isn't being chain ganked.
Ryshad / Lythac of <Heretic> Nagrand-EU
lythac

Postby sculder » Thu Dec 09, 2010 8:26 am

On a related note, once you get to 83, holy radiance is essentially a frenzied regen and is amazing for soloing if you're squishy in ret gear like I was... I generally got around 10-15% of my health back over 10 sec, at a relatively low mana cost compared to me 20k mana pool. Now once you hit 85 and/or put on prot gear, HR is considerably less effective, as it usually ticks for a little less than 1k. Match this with my 125000 unbuffed hp, and its practically trivial compared to the damage intake.
sculder

Postby fuzzygeek » Thu Dec 09, 2010 11:04 am

sculder wrote:Now once you hit 85 and/or put on prot gear, HR is considerably less effective, as it usually ticks for a little less than 1k. Match this with my 125000 unbuffed hp, and its practically trivial compared to the damage intake.

I macroed HR into Divine Guardian. It's a nice little combo effect.
fuzzygeek
Maintankadonor

Postby Arcand » Thu Dec 09, 2010 9:42 pm

I'm solo questing with Insight; it's probably an overcautious stance but
it means I can pull as much stuff as I can reach, pay no attention at all
to my health bar and never have to touch my heals.

I don't like the "slowly wear down, top off, repeat" style of soloing because
I worry that I'll forget to keep track of my health for a couple minutes and
get myself killed - I'm kind of a neat freak about my bars and would rather
kill a bit slower if it keeps me mostly topped off.
Arcand

Return to Basic Training & Talents