Bear rotation in 4.0

Ret, Holy, PVP, etc

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Baelor

Re: Bear rotation in 4.0

Postby Astronomic » Tue Nov 16, 2010 6:47 am

Gamingdevil wrote:Why would you not Mangle ever on single target when you have the glyph? The glyph deals 50% damage of the attack to a secondary target, the damage to the main target is unchanged.

Your thinking of glyph of maul which does the additional damage to a 2nd target.
I believe glyph of mangle is 10% more mangle damage.
You can have my gold for free, The mobs of elywnn forest are holding on to it.
Astronomic

Postby Astronomic » Tue Nov 16, 2010 7:37 am

Corpsegrinder wrote: I'll first use swipe if there's more than two, to get aggro, maul if there's only two, then I'll use maul, then lacerate the mob I have targeted already twice, tab, lacerate, tab lacerate, until I have all the mobs lacerated. Then I utilize the berserk for consecutive mangle's on all victums. Of course I toss in swipe here and there when it's up.

For multi-target situations put thorns on yourself 1st unless u'd lose alot of rage by shifting. Even if its only 2 mobs open with swipe, cuz maul will not do more damage/threat without bleeds on target and swipe will do full damage to both targets while maul does 50% damage to the 2nd target. If you have 60 rage feel free to use both ^.^ .

Corpsegrinder wrote: therefore I just auto attack for a quick rage gain to use growl. Swipe's never used ever, nor is maul since I have the glyph. I just basically use Lacerate 3 times, then mangle. Most of the time, I'm lucky enough for berserk to proc at that time, so I use mangle twice, then pulverize, then back to lacerate, rinse repeat.

If you rely on auto-attack to be your initial threat a decent fury warrior will pull off you every time; You should use enrage to get off a mangle ASAP. Why would you want a quick rage gain to use growl, a taunt? Maul should be hit every time its up because its NOT on the GCD so it can be used without interference of your other abilities, rage allowing.
Astronomic

Postby Gamingdevil » Tue Nov 16, 2010 1:44 pm

Astronomic wrote:
Gamingdevil wrote:Why would you not Mangle ever on single target when you have the glyph? The glyph deals 50% damage of the attack to a secondary target, the damage to the main target is unchanged.

Your thinking of glyph of maul which does the additional damage to a 2nd target.
I believe glyph of mangle is 10% more mangle damage.

I meant Maul :oops:
If it is weak, kill it before it gets stronger. If it is strong, weaken it.
Gamingdevil

Postby bldavis » Tue Nov 16, 2010 1:49 pm

no matter what tanking class you are you should be using an ability for initial threat

for bears, there is FFF and enrage+maul, in addition to thorns, swipe, mangle

most of the time on my pulls i will pop out of bear Thorns-> bear form-> FFF-> run in mangle then start lacerating
for multi pulls Throns-> FFF on main target-> swipe maul tab targeting FFF and mangle on CD

Brekkie:Tanks are like shitty DPS. And healers are like REALLY distracted DPS
Amirya:Why yes, your penis is longer than his because you hit 30k dps in the first 10 seconds. But guess what? That raid boss has a dick bigger than your ego.
Flex:I don't make mistakes. I execute carefully planned strategic group wipes.
Levie:(in /g) It's weird, I have a collar and I dont know where I got it from, Worgen are kinky!
Levie:Drunk Lev goes and does what he pleases just to annoy sober Lev.
Sagara:You see, you need to *spread* the bun before you insert the hot dog.
bldavis

Location: Searching for myself. If i get back before I return, please have me stop and wait for myself.

Postby Corpsegrinder » Thu Nov 18, 2010 11:34 am

Honestly, I don't know why I don't use it. Guess it's just a personal preference.
Corpsegrinder

Postby Astronomic » Thu Nov 18, 2010 11:44 am

Not using maul because of personal preferance would be akin to a pally tanking with a 2h axe because they think it looks shiny.
Astronomic

Postby bldavis » Thu Nov 18, 2010 1:35 pm

Astronomic wrote:Not using maul because of personal preferance would be akin to a pally tanking with a 2h axe because they think it looks shiny.

RET-TANK FTW!!!

ARCANITE REAPER HO!

Amirya:Why yes, your penis is longer than his because you hit 30k dps in the first 10 seconds. But guess what? That raid boss has a dick bigger than your ego.
Levie:(in /g) It's weird, I have a collar and I dont know where I got it from, Worgen are kinky!
bldavis

Location: Searching for myself. If i get back before I return, please have me stop and wait for myself.

Postby Shoju » Fri Nov 26, 2010 8:46 am

I didn't want to post another topic about bear tanking, so I will just ask here.

How in the hell do low level bears tank?

I had thought about swapping my voodookin to a bear to tank a little while leveling, but when I'm looking at my bars (just dinged 29) I would have.

Mangle (Single Target Damage)
Maul (Single Target Damage)
Demo Roar (Debuff)
Enrage (Rage)
Skull Bash (interrupt)
Challenging Roar (3m CD AoE taunt)
Feral Charge (movement)

That's.... 2 damaging abilities and no AoE....

REALLY? Am I missing something? Are bears not supposed to tank before level 36, and even then, they are doing so with 3 damaging abilities?
Shoju

Postby bldavis » Fri Nov 26, 2010 1:20 pm

very very carefully....

you have to be very careful with pulls and use cc if you can
its a huge PITA, but then again feral in general is pathetic at low levels no matter if you are cat or bear

my new troll druid will be going feral, so i will look into this

bldavis

Postby Shoju » Fri Nov 26, 2010 3:13 pm

bldavis wrote:very very carefully....

you have to be very careful with pulls and use cc if you can
its a huge PITA, but then again feral in general is pathetic at low levels no matter if you are cat or bear

my new troll druid will be going feral, so i will look into this

I'm thoroughly enjoying being balance, but I'm just thinking about what I can do to help all the guild rerollers really. I just really can't see how this is a "playable state" for a class.
Shoju

Postby bldavis » Fri Nov 26, 2010 3:49 pm

bears were always prettu much screwed at low levels, if you went feral then you were in for pretty much hell until 20 and you got cat form

it wouldn't surprise me if low lvl feral focused on cat form, being you get it at 8 now

bldavis

Postby Epimer » Sun Nov 28, 2010 3:39 am

Shoju wrote:How in the hell do low level bears tank?

You missed out Feral Faerie Fire at level 24. Take this with a pinch of salt, since my Tauren druid dinged 13 last night and my last attempt at a NElf druid is stuck in the mid 30s somewhere, but in a 3.x world FFF did a ridiculous amount of threat at low levels. If I hit a mob with FFF, it was mine from then on. I could get by with FFF every 6 seconds and autoattack.

I don't know if that's true in 4.x, but I'll get bear form tonight and see how Ragefire Chasm goes without FFF :/
Epimer

Postby Epimer » Sun Nov 28, 2010 4:36 pm

Ok, after spending the evening tanking instances from levels 15 to 18, I can confidently say this about low level bear tanking: it sucks. No part of that was fun. I'm going to spend a lot of time in dungeon runs faced with scenes like this:

Levelling dungeons are properly srs bsns and all that, but jeez.
Epimer

Postby Astronomic » Mon Nov 29, 2010 6:41 am

Do you have thorns? If so you will hafta use it every pull, aoe wont get better until you either get very geared or hit lvl 81 and get thrash. Swipes nice but it wont stop dps from hitting the target ur not focusing on. I remember even when I hit 80 my swipe just wasnt cutting it.
Astronomic

Postby Shoju » Wed Dec 01, 2010 9:27 am

If you could cast thorns while in bear form, or it lasted longer than 40 seconds it would be great. Right now, Thorns is GARBAGE.

I'm doing "ok" when I do tank, I have tanked ~6 dungeons so far, and when I get a good group, it is fine, but with a stupid group, it is the worst time ever.

I have debated posting something about it on the official forums, but man.... that just seems like a flame fest waiting to happen.
Shoju

PreviousNext

Return to Off-specs & Other Classes