Remove Advertisements

Gathering professions early in Cata.. need info..

SPOILERS Discussion about the Cataclysm Beta SPOILERS

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

Re: Gathering professions early in Cata.. need info..

Postby Sabindeus » Thu Nov 18, 2010 10:49 am

Zalaria wrote:Tauren druid herbing is sick.

Swift Flight Form + Cultivation

It casts so fast with the new (as of 4.0.1) racial that half the time mobs don't even get a chance to aggro, and the rest of the time they can't get anywhere near you before you've herbed and flown away.

haaaaaaaaax
Turn In, an NPC interaction automator - http://wow.curse.com/downloads/wow-addo ... rn-in.aspx
Sabindeus

Postby Palisade » Thu Nov 18, 2010 10:55 am

Sabindeus wrote:
Zalaria wrote:Tauren druid herbing is sick.

Swift Flight Form + Cultivation

It casts so fast with the new (as of 4.0.1) racial that half the time mobs don't even get a chance to aggro, and the rest of the time they can't get anywhere near you before you've herbed and flown away.

haaaaaaaaax

nerf cows! :lol:
Palisade

Postby theckhd » Thu Nov 18, 2010 10:59 am

Palisade wrote:nerf cows! :lol:

That's coming in the next expansion when they introduce the new "Butchering" profession.

I was going to go with "Meat Packing" but decided that might be a tad too far.
"Theck, Bringer of Numbers and Pounding Headaches," courtesy of Grehn|Skipjack.
MATLAB 5.x, Simcraft 6.x, Call to Arms 6.0, Talent Spec & Glyph Guide 5.x, Blog: Sacred Duty
theckhd

Postby Nikachelle » Thu Nov 18, 2010 11:02 am

theckhd wrote:
Palisade wrote:nerf cows! :lol:

That's coming in the next expansion when they introduce the new "Butchering" profession.

I was going to go with "Meat Packing" but decided that might be a tad too far.

:lol:
Nikachelle
Maintankadonor

Postby Rasmfrackn » Thu Nov 18, 2010 11:48 am

Braundo wrote:I'm torn on that. On the one hand, I want to get geared up as quickly as possible to help my guild out, so I want to farm ore for crafted gear. On the other hand, I want to sell all the ore I get because prices are going to be INSANE.

As someone who did all this 2 years ago the weekend that LK came out, I'd like to mention that the prices on things will drop in half in about a day or two, and very rapidly settle out somewhere profitable but nowhere near the initial frenzy fairly quickly. If you're really debating between cashing in and skilling up for raiding, you have plenty of time to do both if you aren't starting raids in the second reset cycle of Cata. :) Heck, sell for the first 2 days and buy back afterwards and you'll come out well ahead on cash.
Rasmfrackn
Dwarf Paladin
Icecrown Server
Eng/Scribe/Masochist
Rasmfrackn

Postby Braundo » Thu Nov 18, 2010 12:45 pm

Good advice, thanks. :)
Braundo
Maintankadonor

Postby Sabindeus » Thu Nov 18, 2010 1:35 pm

thanks for the insight Rasm
Turn In, an NPC interaction automator - http://wow.curse.com/downloads/wow-addo ... rn-in.aspx
Sabindeus

Postby Rasmfrackn » Thu Nov 18, 2010 2:34 pm

I just hope I'm right again. :) But, I can't see how I would be wrong... the first 2 days or so are the rich/impulsive people trying to either be server first for their profession or to get a head start on selling the top products early. Presumably they're the ones who actually work the AH and care about profits, so they have very deep pockets.

I was selling saronite ore for 20g/piece and goldthorn for 100g/stack on saturday morning. (I think LK released on a thursday?) By Sunday it was 8-10g/piece for saronite ore.

I can only imagine what the continued inflation of LK will to do the first stacks of pyrite and jasmine, not to mention the occasional green/blue gem. I just hope I have the stomach to gouge people for what I think they'll pay. :)
Rasmfrackn
Dwarf Paladin
Icecrown Server
Eng/Scribe/Masochist
Rasmfrackn

Postby halabar » Thu Nov 18, 2010 3:14 pm

Rasmfrackn wrote:I just hope I'm right again. :) But, I can't see how I would be wrong... the first 2 days or so are the rich/impulsive people trying to either be server first for their profession or to get a head start on selling the top products early. Presumably they're the ones who actually work the AH and care about profits, so they have very deep pockets.

I was selling saronite ore for 20g/piece and goldthorn for 100g/stack on saturday morning. (I think LK released on a thursday?) By Sunday it was 8-10g/piece for saronite ore.

I can only imagine what the continued inflation of LK will to do the first stacks of pyrite and jasmine, not to mention the occasional green/blue gem. I just hope I have the stomach to gouge people for what I think they'll pay. :)

It's also the folk trying to level their professions so they can make that best-in-slot trinket by the second day. :D

Right now it is kinda strange. Past few days I was selling eternal shadow for 16g/each, a few weeks ago it was 3g/each.

But from Wrath I remember cobalt still being 50g+/stack 5-6 weeks after launch and longer. The insane prices drop of fast, but it still can be very profitable for a while. And if you have deep pockets, you can buy out and resell as well, but more risk there.
Amirya wrote:... because everyone needs a Catagonskin rug.

twinkfist wrote:i feel bad for the Mogu...having to deal with alcoholic bears.
halabar

Postby Neptuno » Sat Nov 20, 2010 10:38 am

katraya wrote:I'm usually in the mid-range of gold and would liek to know what it is like to be "rich."

You'll never beat this guy:

He's disabled from an accident in the military and thus gets paid to be home and play wow. He plays the AH and rarely farms... also this is after he finished the Insane title... I sold him my Crimson Deathcharger a few weeks ago and he's like man you're dropping me below 800k... oh wait let me empty my mailbox on my alts ... ok, there we go back up to 950k"
Neptuno

Postby degre » Sat Nov 20, 2010 12:32 pm

Neptuno wrote:He's disabled from an accident in the military and thus gets paid to be home and play wow. He plays the AH and rarely farms... also this is after he finished the Insane title... I sold him my Crimson Deathcharger a few weeks ago and he's like man you're dropping me below 800k... oh wait let me empty my mailbox on my alts ... ok, there we go back up to 950k"

It's not much about how much time you have at end, some people just love it. I've got a colleague that started playing ages ago, his main is a 43 rogue, he just doesnt really quest or does instancing, he just love to log and play the economics, got himself the subscription to handle the AH as soon as was released and he now does most of his market through his iPhone, he never even made it to the outlands, but gots more gold than I'll ever see and on his server he pretty much controls a huge chunk of the sales.

EDIT:
this is obviously an example on the far end of the scale, but like him, there are many players who just love doing the same thing while playing their game.
On EU-Kadghar: Degre | Beldegre | Degrotto | Koshien
degre

Postby Neptuno » Sun Nov 21, 2010 12:44 am

there are probably better games for economics but to each their own for $15/month (though EVE you can buy game time with your economic performance and make the game free, though i guess people do the same in wow but under the table)
Neptuno

Postby Chunes » Mon Nov 22, 2010 2:54 pm

Neptuno wrote:there are probably better games for economics but to each their own for $15/month (though EVE you can buy game time with your economic performance and make the game free, though i guess people do the same in wow but under the table)

Last I heard, it's actually totally legit to buy/sell game cards for gold.

Personally, AH warfare is about 45% of my enjoyment of the game, alts are about 5-10% and my main's raiding/progression obligations are the rest.

I honestly don't know how I'm going to split my time when cata drops. I'm already resigned to not really doing any serious leveling until the weekend after it ships (due to work obligations during the week and a good friend being in the same boat more or less due to finals that week, so we're leveling together like BFFs on the weekend).

I'll most likely pass the majority of the time scouring the AH for deals and selling down my inscription stockpile for the first week. Depending on what kind of g/hour this is netting I may also consider taking my DK for a spin in the new zones to get some resources mined/herbed for my Mains' JC/BS/Alch (not looking forward to leveling any of those).
Chunes

Postby Mutley » Mon Nov 22, 2010 4:52 pm

Does anyone know if you can herb while transformed into the the vial of the sands dragon?

Would be kinda nice for non druid herbalists.
Mutley
Vek'nilash EU
Mutley

Postby Neptuno » Tue Nov 23, 2010 6:33 am

Chunes wrote:
Neptuno wrote:there are probably better games for economics but to each their own for $15/month (though EVE you can buy game time with your economic performance and make the game free, though i guess people do the same in wow but under the table)

Last I heard, it's actually totally legit to buy/sell game cards for gold.

Personally, AH warfare is about 45% of my enjoyment of the game, alts are about 5-10% and my main's raiding/progression obligations are the rest.

I honestly don't know how I'm going to split my time when cata drops. I'm already resigned to not really doing any serious leveling until the weekend after it ships (due to work obligations during the week and a good friend being in the same boat more or less due to finals that week, so we're leveling together like BFFs on the weekend).

I'll most likely pass the majority of the time scouring the AH for deals and selling down my inscription stockpile for the first week. Depending on what kind of g/hour this is netting I may also consider taking my DK for a spin in the new zones to get some resources mined/herbed for my Mains' JC/BS/Alch (not looking forward to leveling any of those).

if you don't want to leave town, random bg's may be good xp too.
Neptuno

Previous

Return to Cataclysm