Remove Advertisements

Beefadin: Endurance vs. Magic Resistance

Anything, including off-topic posts

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

Beefadin: Endurance vs. Magic Resistance

Postby Niloc » Fri Nov 19, 2010 4:16 pm

It's accepted knowledge that since Tauren Endurance works on 5% of base HP it's pretty worthless as a min/max racial to benefit tanks.

My question is whether Blood Elf Magic Resistance is any better. I love with the idea of having a Beefadin, but I don't want to sacrifice real survivability for aesthetics.

People generally marginalize Magic Resistance as well as Endurance, but in a world where all else is equal, which is a better tanking racial and by how much?
Niloc

Re: Beefadin: Endurance vs. Magic Resistance

Postby Braundo » Fri Nov 19, 2010 4:25 pm

Being that Magic Resistance is being changed to Arcane Resistance in Cataclysm (if it isn't already?), I would still say that Endurance is better. I'd take an extra ~2500 health (or whatever it is) over an Arcane magic resistance that might very rarely matter, and doesn't stack with most other magic resistance buffs (so far as I know).

It's not like either is all that big of a deal, though, as you say.
Braundo
Maintankadonor

Postby Non » Sun Nov 21, 2010 4:25 am

Arcane Torrent: off GCD aoe interupt
**"It's no secret that any correspondence between what Non says and the truth is purely coincidental"
Non

Postby Khellitha » Sun Nov 21, 2010 1:32 pm

Always play what you will enjoy more, the Racials generally arn't powerfull enough compared to disliking your toon because you chose a race you don't really like! :)
Khellitha

Postby Kalortpor » Sun Nov 21, 2010 6:48 pm

Non wrote:Arcane Torrent: off GCD aoe interupt
death to gearscore
Kalortpor

Postby Karnadas » Sun Nov 21, 2010 7:02 pm

Braundo wrote:I'd take an extra ~2500 health (or whatever it is) over an Arcane magic resistance that might very rarely matter, and doesn't stack with most other magic resistance buffs (so far as I know).

When I race changed on the PTR, I believe the difference in health was around 450hp. 5% of base health is not 2k+
Karnadas

Postby Braundo » Sun Nov 21, 2010 8:08 pm

Karnadas wrote:
Braundo wrote:I'd take an extra ~2500 health (or whatever it is) over an Arcane magic resistance that might very rarely matter, and doesn't stack with most other magic resistance buffs (so far as I know).

When I race changed on the PTR, I believe the difference in health was around 450hp. 5% of base health is not 2k+

At level 85, I meant. Beta players from this forum have stated Endurance to grant somewhere between 2000-2500 health at level 85.
Braundo
Maintankadonor

Postby fuzzygeek » Sun Nov 21, 2010 8:40 pm

Kalortpor wrote:
Non wrote:Arcane Torrent: off GCD aoe interupt
fuzzygeek
Maintankadonor

Postby Worldie » Tue Nov 23, 2010 6:58 am

Braundo wrote:
Karnadas wrote:

At level 85, I meant. Beta players from this forum have stated Endurance to grant somewhere between 2000-2500 health at level 85.

2500 hp on HP pools of over 150k in entry level gear, probably over 250k in end game gear, doesn't seemb significant to me to justify playing a cow! (that is, if i was still horde)
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Postby Braundo » Tue Nov 23, 2010 8:06 am

Of course it doesn't -- I don't think anybody here is pretending that any racials are so good that it's not viable to play any other race. People should pick whatever race they want -- the OP was just asking specifically about the value of Endurance vs. Arcane Resistance, and I gave my opinion on that specific point.
Braundo
Maintankadonor

Postby Worldie » Tue Nov 23, 2010 8:24 am

My point was that the value of Endurance - the value of playing a cow is < Value of Arcane resistance.
:p
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Postby Niloc » Tue Nov 23, 2010 10:10 am

My original (poorly researched) question is moot. It's not a question of comparing Endurance to Magic Resistance, because Magic Resistance has been changed to be in line with Nature Resistance. They're both kind of marginal resistance types that we're getting 2% of.

Then the question becomes Arcane Torrent vs. Warstomp, with Arcane Torrent as a clear winner. The difference is I'm less likely to stay a BE for an interrupting mana pot than I was for a racial that directly boosted mitigation. The interrupt is handy, but my raids have never relied on me as an interrupter so I don't feel much of a loss there.

Guess I'll be stocking up on mana pots.
Niloc

Postby Awyndel » Tue Nov 23, 2010 10:52 am

I think you're using the words "accepted knowledge" wrong here. Especially in the context of min/maxing. The very point of min/maxing is picking up little bonuses, like that 2K health, to maximise your performance. There are a lot of ppl who would be very happy with 2K health. Me for instance.

And don't cows have nature resistance as well?
Awyndel

Postby Worldie » Tue Nov 23, 2010 10:55 am

They do but all the Resist racials don't stack with raid buffs so they give no benefit at all in a raid.

Actually on min-max situation unless Cata bosses require lots of interrupts, Cows win. The "mana pot" effect havent been needed since 3.0 already so it's a moot point.

Worldie
Global Mod

Postby Arnock » Tue Nov 23, 2010 10:56 am

Arcane torrent AND the ability to fit through doors>>>>> endurance.
Courage not of this earth in your eyes
Faith from far beyond lies deep inside
Arnock

Next

Return to General