Cataclysm Level 85 Prot PVP

SPOILERS Discussion about the Cataclysm Beta SPOILERS

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

Cataclysm Level 85 Prot PVP

Postby towelliee » Thu Nov 18, 2010 7:12 pm

Here is my spec talents geming gear and glpyhs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CwZ-3dEkWVs

Anyone else interested in going Prot for PVP in Cata?
towelliee

Re: Cataclysm Level 85 Prot PVP

Postby heuvarius » Fri Nov 19, 2010 1:57 am

Prot is pretty OP atm in BGs at 80. A lot of that is due to PoTI and Vengeance, both of which are going to be nerfed. 15k back to back Frisbies in the face was fun though.
Best looking Femtaur-din in the game.
heuvarius

Postby Zhuel » Fri Nov 19, 2010 6:55 am

PoTI has already been nerfed on beta. Vengeance can be removed but I'm not so sure it will be. Vengeance falls off very quickly and would be difficult to build to a level that's going to brake it. If people focusing the the tank in a BG and letting the healer keep him alive while the group blow him up, then people get what they deserve (and are fail at cc on the healer :P). Increase survivability and AS is what makes prot so great in BGs right now. Ret is very squishy and can be locked down very easily and so can prot, but we can live through more and we can Captain America people that root us.
Zhuel

Postby Thyre » Fri Nov 19, 2010 11:08 am

You shoul think about shield enchante "titan" dunno what it is called in english. In the past it gave blockvalue now it its another way of weaponchain.

grettings
Thyre

Postby Kelaan » Fri Nov 19, 2010 11:13 am

towelliee wrote:Here is my spec talents geming gear and glpyhs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CwZ-3dEkWVs
Anyone else interested in going Prot for PVP in Cata?

Remotely interested. :) How much does your spec differ from a normal tanking spec? (Aside from the armor talent and less reckoning) Would it be OK to use a normal tanking spec and just swap glyphs around?

Also ... what is the pvp gear purchased with? Justice points, I assume? I saw some crafted str/resil gear but don't know what I'll be looking at if I want to get prot gear, pvp gear, and ret gear as well. ;)
Kelaan

Postby Braundo » Fri Nov 19, 2010 11:22 am

Thyre wrote:You shoul think about shield enchante "titan" dunno what it is called in english. In the past it gave blockvalue now it its another way of weaponchain.

grettings

That'd be Titanium Plating.
Braundo
Maintankadonor

Postby Yelena » Sat Nov 20, 2010 5:22 am

heuvarius wrote:Prot is pretty OP atm in BGs at 80. A lot of that is due to PoTI and Vengeance, both of which are going to be nerfed. 15k back to back Frisbies in the face was fun though.

PotI was a crutch, I intentionally avoided it in my PvP spec, knowing it was going to be nerfed, and I do just fine. Case in point; I was able to get Wrecking Ball tonight, without even trying for it (of course, having over 1500 Resilience helps).

Valleri - Frostwolf
Yelena

Postby Brightsong » Sat Nov 20, 2010 5:10 pm

http://wowtal.com/#k=fuTt0i8uJ.a8t.paladin.RjTud1

Proposed PVP spec.

Also, Prot seems to only be any good against melee, casters can kite it indefinitely even more than pre-4.0 since we can't remove snares off ourselves.
Brightsong

Postby Yelena » Sat Nov 20, 2010 9:38 pm

It isn't as if every other melee is immune to being kited, while some do have a couple more tools to get out of snares/roots than what Prot Paladins have.

That said; the fact Retribution was given snare/root removal (via Cleanse), while Protection wasn't, is kind of bullshit. On the same token, the likely counterpoint to that would be the fact that Protection can use the Glyph of Dazing Shield. Problem is, the glyph doesn't do a damn bit of good when you're being chain rooted/snared by any competent caster. In all likelihood, getting the "Cleanse treatment" would come at the price of losing the glyph, which makes for an interesting "choice"; a 10 second daze has several uses in its own regard.

Overall it's an aggravating quality of life issue at best, but certainly not game/class breaking by any stretch of the imagination.
Valleri - Frostwolf
Yelena

Postby Brightsong » Sat Nov 20, 2010 11:03 pm

Yelena wrote:It isn't as if every other melee is immune to being kited

Feral is completely immune to being kited. All the other classes have snares and gap closers.
Brightsong

Postby Neptuno » Sun Nov 21, 2010 1:34 am

yeah, it's sad when dazing shield is more likely to provide a gap closer than anything ret has.

The fix to acts of sacrifice should help out a lot, but I'll wait and see on that.

And feral loses resources to go bear and of course there's hibernate that i've seen used really well on them too.
Neptuno

Postby Yelena » Sun Nov 21, 2010 2:33 am

Brightsong wrote:All the other classes have snares and gap closers.

Warriors, Death Knights, and Rogues can be kited just as easily as a Prot Paladin. They have tools to address some snares/roots, but not all, kind of like the boat Prot Paladins are in.

Besides, if you want to get this "injustice" addressed, make a thread on the official forums. Explain in no uncertain terms why it is a problem for Prot Paladins, not simply going "but the other classes can do this, why can't we?", as that will be disregarded and subject to even more flaming than usual. Complaining about it here is just preaching to the choir.
Valleri - Frostwolf
Yelena

Postby Neptuno » Sun Nov 21, 2010 2:44 am

I'd say its not even localized to protection, but if they applied DR to movement impairing like they do with actual snares it would fix a LOT of issues
Neptuno

Postby towelliee » Sun Nov 21, 2010 4:03 am

towelliee

Postby PsiVen » Sun Nov 21, 2010 6:44 pm

I'm pretty disgusted with the current state of Prot PvP, the kiting is worse than ever and entirely dependent on RNG burst which will get nerfed as soon as it becomes relevant. A melee fighter with no ability to close to melee range and one spell trying to serve eight functions simultaneously is doomed.

I'll still probably try it, but if it becomes impossible to get rated BGs because everyone would rather have a druid/DK/feral I'll wind up Ret or not PvPing again.
Gladiator Psiven, Retired Tankadin
WoW-sober since March 2014
Longtime addict of Space - Glory Through Conquest
PsiVen

Next

Return to Cataclysm