Professions

SPOILERS Discussion about the Cataclysm Beta SPOILERS

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

Re: Professions

Postby Palisade » Wed Nov 17, 2010 3:00 pm

Rasmfrackn wrote:
Palisade wrote:LOL

Mining/Herbing grant XP on some weird calculcation that I've not been able to figure out yet. OL and NR nodes seem to give a much larger % of level than Old World nodes

Yeah, I just went back to test mining XP finally, and while running around I was in northrend for a bit. Tiger Lilies gave me ~1650 xp rested, while adder's tongue gave me 4300 rested. Contrast that with pyrium and twilight jasmine (top end cata mats) giving me 4400 rested. I would imagine herbing your way through your 70s would go very quickly.

Herbing definitely does, at least in the early 70s. On my new shaman, I went through 70, 71 and most of 72 camping the big lake with the fireweeds in Borean Tundra (plus some BGs and a couple of instances.)
Palisade

Postby rodos » Wed Nov 17, 2010 4:34 pm

Digren wrote:I'm in the same boat - except they put in enchanting BoP noncombat pets. I'm going to have to sacrifice something, and I think my mining will have to go.

Wowhead does not show the new enchanting pets as being BoP, nor requiring enchanting to use. Is that incorrect?
rodos

Postby halabar » Wed Nov 17, 2010 4:40 pm

rodos wrote:
Digren wrote:I'm in the same boat - except they put in enchanting BoP noncombat pets. I'm going to have to sacrifice something, and I think my mining will have to go.

Wowhead does not show the new enchanting pets as being BoP, nor requiring enchanting to use. Is that incorrect?

Less miners makes me happy. :wink:
Amirya wrote:... because everyone needs a Catagonskin rug.

twinkfist wrote:i feel bad for the Mogu...having to deal with alcoholic bears.
halabar

Postby Rasmfrackn » Wed Nov 17, 2010 4:47 pm

As if anyone cared, I just got to 81 on my rogue to see the difference.

Cata herbs/mines went from 4400 to 5500 rested. Archaeology went from 11,000 to 13,500 rested. Same things, must scale as a % of XP to level or some other way.
Rasmfrackn
Dwarf Paladin
Icecrown Server
Eng/Scribe/Masochist
Rasmfrackn

Postby Neptuno » Wed Nov 17, 2010 6:38 pm

halabar wrote:If you already have any gathering profession maxxed, it might make sense to keep it until you hit 85 before dropping it for something else. That XP gain from gathering is nice.

kits are a good way of handling this: if you switched mining for something that mining gives resources toward, you can move the kit to a bank alt or in mail box till you hit 85, then switch it.
Neptuno

Postby Xequecal » Wed Nov 17, 2010 9:02 pm

I honestly don't get why people are attracted to mining. Trying to compete with the speed/position hacking chinese farmers for ore nodes is not my idea of fun. Not only that but you can make ten times the amount of gold for the time spent by just buying mats off the AH and making things with Alch or JC.
Xequecal

Postby culhag » Thu Nov 18, 2010 4:01 am

Xequecal wrote:I honestly don't get why people are attracted to mining. Trying to compete with the speed/position hacking chinese farmers for ore nodes is not my idea of fun. Not only that but you can make ten times the amount of gold for the time spent by just buying mats off the AH and making things with Alch or JC.

I'm not really interested in Mining as a long term money maker. The point is to be able to mine while questing, which can make for some nice profit for zero time investment.
culhag
Maintankadonor

Postby Neptuno » Thu Nov 18, 2010 6:13 am

Xequecal wrote:I honestly don't get why people are attracted to mining. Trying to compete with the speed/position hacking chinese farmers for ore nodes is not my idea of fun. Not only that but you can make ten times the amount of gold for the time spent by just buying mats off the AH and making things with Alch or JC.

cause it's a tank forum and its a competitive profession for tanking. not having "raid professions" is more of a dps thing when the gathering things boost your mainspec about as well as the crafting ones.

that said, i dropped mining when they first added the hp bonus (since it wasn't stam and thus didn't scale) for JC once i had enough mats for it back in naxx... then switched my enchanting to alchemy for the longer flasks... then in icc when i started playing with ret and trying to max armor i switched again to engineering. if i'd kept a gathering profession, id have made money instead of spending and probably wouldn't have had to sell my crimson deathcharger to finance cata leveling of 2 "raid professions" on my 2 raiding toons :( mining is reasonable and if you don't want to farm it, you find nodes will leveling just fine.
Neptuno

Postby degre » Thu Nov 18, 2010 7:38 am

Talking about mining, is there any new area a la Wintergrasp? As in the first few weeks of WotLK I've farmed the hell out of that place, nobody was going there as everyone was exping or farming elsewhere with flying mounts.
On EU-Kadghar: Degre | Beldegre | Degrotto | Koshien | Sousuke
degre

Postby Palisade » Thu Nov 18, 2010 7:59 am

degre wrote:Talking about mining, is there any new area a la Wintergrasp? As in the first few weeks of WotLK I've farmed the hell out of that place, nobody was going there as everyone was exping or farming elsewhere with flying mounts.

Yes, I believe it is called Tol Barad. However, from what reading I've been able to do on the zone, it seems to be heavily phased.

As for using kits and leveling a "raid" profession... That is exactly what I did back pre-Wrath. I farmed the mats to power level BS, and then did it again to power level JC. I already had leveled an alt with mining, so it was no loss for me to drop it.

It has always been my practice to level alts with at least one gathering profession, and with the XP changes and tracking changes, now they'll have both gathering professions.
Palisade

Postby Sabindeus » Thu Nov 18, 2010 9:08 am

Xequecal wrote:I honestly don't get why people are attracted to mining. Trying to compete with the speed/position hacking chinese farmers for ore nodes is not my idea of fun.

My server does not have speed/position hacking chinese farmers.

Not only that but you can make ten times the amount of gold for the time spent by just buying mats off the AH and making things with Alch or JC.

My server ALSO doesn't have a reasonable economy where these things are true.
Turn In, an NPC interaction automator - http://wow.curse.com/downloads/wow-addo ... rn-in.aspx
Sabindeus

Postby halabar » Thu Nov 18, 2010 9:22 am

Sabindeus wrote:
Xequecal wrote:I honestly don't get why people are attracted to mining. Trying to compete with the speed/position hacking chinese farmers for ore nodes is not my idea of fun.

Not only that but you can make ten times the amount of gold for the time spent by just buying mats off the AH and making things with Alch or JC.

This.

Blizz has killed off many of the hack-farmers, and the Cata changes are doing more for that. Also, since I solo a lot these days, having something to do while waiting in LFG is nice.

And let's look at it another way. In one corner you have the Mining speed-hackers, in the other you have the basement dwellers who repost their glyphs 12 times a day, and accept a 50c profit margin on flasks. Which would you rather compete against?.. :wink: For myself, I do a lot better with 2 toons with mining/Eng, and one with JC/BS (and I have an alchemist as well now). So I can sell raw mats, or finished goods, whatever makes more sense.

But for the initial rush, selling raw mats is the greatest profit, (allthough I am looking to see how quickly I can craft the engineering weapons, those might sell well).

halabar

Postby Sabindeus » Thu Nov 18, 2010 9:40 am

halabar wrote:
Sabindeus wrote:

This.

Blizz has killed off many of the hack-farmers, and the Cata changes are doing more for that. Also, since I solo a lot these days, having something to do while waiting in LFG is nice.

And let's look at it another way. In one corner you have the Mining speed-hackers, in the other you have the basement dwellers who repost their glyphs 12 times a day, and accept a 50c profit margin on flasks. Which would you rather compete against?.. :wink: For myself, I do a lot better with 2 toons with mining/Eng, and one with JC/BS (and I have an alchemist as well now). So I can sell raw mats, or finished goods, whatever makes more sense.

But for the initial rush, selling raw mats is the greatest profit, (allthough I am looking to see how quickly I can craft the engineering weapons, those might sell well).

my server has more AH bots than it does miners or hackers.
Turn In, an NPC interaction automator - http://wow.curse.com/downloads/wow-addo ... rn-in.aspx
Sabindeus

Postby halabar » Thu Nov 18, 2010 9:44 am

Sabindeus wrote:my server has more AH bots than it does miners or hackers.

Gonna be interesting to see what the botters do since the glyph industry is dying.

halabar

Postby Arees » Thu Nov 18, 2010 12:12 pm

I read a post a couple of days ago that mentioned that there is a rep vendor in Twilight Highlands that sells JC patterns. Now I can't seem to find that post. Does anybody know anything more about this? What patterns is it, and are they good for leveling JC fast? When can you start questing in TH? I'm thinking probably 84.
Arees

PreviousNext

Return to Cataclysm