Reforging/Mastery/Block Cap Compilation Guide (4.0.X)

Warning: Theorycraft inside.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, theckhd

Re: Reforging/Mastery/Block Cap Compilation Guide (4.0.1)

Postby sculder » Fri Nov 05, 2010 6:16 am

Griffith wrote:isn't the 5% miss already in the script from the OP?

yes
sculder

Postby Java » Fri Nov 05, 2010 8:57 am

You have made me one of the happiest players all around. I have come back to the game after almost1 sabbatical year (work was incompatible with WoW) and I was totally lost in the game. After being a hardcore player, I was feeling like a newbie, new talents, gear, game styles... and thanks to this thread I have perfectly understood how to get my gear updated and ready to return to my 'old glory days' (forgive my enthusiastic speech)

Thanks again !
Java

Postby sculder » Sat Nov 06, 2010 8:14 am

Java wrote:You have made me one of the happiest players all around. I have come back to the game after almost1 sabbatical year (work was incompatible with WoW) and I was totally lost in the game. After being a hardcore player, I was feeling like a newbie, new talents, gear, game styles... and thanks to this thread I have perfectly understood how to get my gear updated and ready to return to my 'old glory days' (forgive my enthusiastic speech)

Thanks again !

Sadly this will be mostly obsolete in a few weeks :)
sculder

Postby Øtep » Thu Nov 11, 2010 4:36 am

Here is my armoury...

http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/character/a ... p/advanced

I have managed Block Cap, Hit Cap, and Hard Expertise Cap (with food buff). Just linking as a reference to the amount of gear needed to make a proper attempt at getting capped on all fronts.

As you can see I am using two DPS items and mostly 277 gear. I had the Heroic CTC for a while and it really helped stay block capped until more upgrades came along (and the proc, coupled with Blood Draining, isn't that bad either).

I am not quite at the recommended parry rating (I have 920 raid buffed). Whether I am reforging badly or what, I'm not sure. I think it's worth it for the hard expertise cap, though.

I will say that the heroic T10 legs would be a fine investment for any tank due to the massive amounts of expertise. I wish I had gone for them sooner.

Anyway, I'm just posting this as a guide to what it takes to meet the block and expertise caps.

Øtep
Øtep

Postby pancake » Thu Nov 11, 2010 11:43 am

Being "block capped" means that you will block every melee hit that is not avoided by a dodge or parry. The block cap is at 102,4% and is the sum of dodge, parry, opponent's miss chance and our block chance. We get about 36% of combined block chance and avoidance for "free" : 5% base block chance + 16% block from mastery, 5% miss and approximately 5% dodge (depending on race - base agility). This means that we need about 66,4% of combined block chance and avoidance from gear to reach the block cap.

Sorry if this was already mentioned or if this is a stupid question, but I don't see where we're getting this 36% free block. The numbers just don't add up. The free sources of mitigation it lists are:

5% base block
16% base mastery
5% miss
5% dodge from agi(approx)

I don't claim to be an expert mathematician but my arithmetic says that only adds up to 31%.

Anyways, that aside, if I'm understanding this correctly, out of our 102.4% block cap we should have the following (using the numbers straight on the stat sheet, as in final dodge including both rating and agi):

21.6% dodge
21.44% parry
5% miss
15% holy shield

Leaving us with aiming for 39.36% block chance (without holy shield), 21% of which we get without any mastery rating at all. Meaning we only need 18.36% from mastery, which is what, 10 mastery (or just over 9 assuming partial mastery still provides benefit). Which is 459 master rating (or 422 assuming partial mastery).

Does this look right, or am I missing anything important in regards to the block cap?
pancake

Postby Øtep » Thu Nov 11, 2010 12:07 pm

You forgot 5% base parry in your calculation :) 36%
Øtep

Postby pancake » Thu Nov 11, 2010 12:36 pm

Øtep wrote:You forgot 5% base parry in your calculation :) 36%

Ah, should have thought of that. But in fairness it was missing from what I quoted, and I just saw a math problem that didn't add up. :P

Is there a definitive answer on partial mastery? I read somewhere on ElitistJerks that despite the tooltips that partial mastery (and expertise) still provide partial effects. And assuming this is correct that means that it takes 23 mastery rating (slightly less) to get 1% block, and would mean that at the DR values for dodge and parry you'd only need 422 mastery rating for the block cap.

I only ask because with those dodge/parry values we end up needing *just over* a full point of mastery, which means wasting almost a full point of mastery if we don't get partial benefits. And interestingly, if the change to our mastery goes live we'd still need *just over* a full point of mastery again wasting most of a point if we don't get partial benefits.
pancake

Postby Øtep » Thu Nov 11, 2010 1:43 pm

Yeah, we get partial mastery too from what I can tell by taking items off my character.
Øtep

Postby Kady » Wed Nov 17, 2010 1:39 pm

So let me just get this correct to make sure I am understanding this

Using the macro provided in the main post, I need to be at 102.4%.

I can minus 15% off when looking at the macro, so on my screen in my chat box it pretty much needs to be at least 87% showing correct? or do I need it to say 102%?

Also my stats should be as close to this as possible?

21.6% dodge
21.44% parry
36% block
22.4% expertise
8% hit
Kady

Postby AriKT » Wed Nov 17, 2010 2:14 pm

Kady wrote:So let me just get this correct to make sure I am understanding this

I can minus 15% off when looking at the macro, so on my screen in my chat box it pretty much needs to be at least 87% showing correct? or do I need it to say 102%?

Also my stats should be as close to this as possible?

21.6% dodge
21.44% parry
36% block
22.4% expertise
8% hit

The easiest way to say it is that your char screen should list:

21.6% dodge
21.44% parry
39.36% block

when Holy Shield is down, for the best damage reduction, or those 3 numbers on your char screen add up to 82.40% in order to block cap.

You get 5% miss base, and 15% block from Holy Shield to push that up to 102.4%.

All this is only until 4.0.3a hits. The numbers change then, and its pretty much max out mastery at that point as long as you don't go over 102.4% total. This is very hard to do even with BiS gear once 4.0.3a hits. You pretty much need to use an avoidance trinket to reach it then.
AriKT

Postby sculder » Wed Nov 17, 2010 4:02 pm

Kady wrote:So let me just get this correct to make sure I am understanding this

it should say 87.4%, holy shield will cover the missing 15%

Don't forget about kings and shout/horn too, that's another few percent of avoidance.
sculder

Postby amityafflict » Thu Nov 18, 2010 1:28 am

sculder wrote:
Don't forget about kings and shout/horn too, that's another few percent of avoidance.

I was wondering about this myself, I know theck has covered a bit on strength to parry and agi to dodge but I was wondering if anyone had come up with some sort of script or easy conversion to find out exactly how much avoidance we are going to get in a fully raid buffed situation. Including Kings, HoW, Food buff and anything else I may have missed. Main reason is to see how much mastery I can afford to drop and start spending in threat stat weights.
amityafflict

Postby Gamingdevil » Thu Nov 18, 2010 5:49 am

amityafflict wrote:
sculder wrote:

I was wondering about this myself, I know theck has covered a bit on strength to parry and agi to dodge but I was wondering if anyone had come up with some sort of script or easy conversion to find out exactly how much avoidance we are going to get in a fully raid buffed situation. Including Kings, HoW, Food buff and anything else I may have missed. Main reason is to see how much mastery I can afford to drop and start spending in threat stat weights.

It's rather hard to make a general formula for that, because of diminishing returns. No one will receive the exact same amount of avoidance for raid buffs.
If it is weak, kill it before it gets stronger. If it is strong, weaken it.
Gamingdevil

Postby Palisade » Thu Nov 18, 2010 9:03 am

Lanthorr wrote:
sculder wrote:There's really only 2 buffs you need to worry about in your calculations - battle shout and kings. Kings and MOTW don't stack anymore, and battle shout is the same as horn/totem. Combined they give you about 3% avoidance, but the exact amount will vary depending on your stats.

I got into a group with one of those classes with the non-kings buff and figured out, for me, the amount gained from kings and <other buff> is 2.49%. My gear is a mix of 251-264 mostly. I am using Ick's Rotting Thumb and Fervor of the Frostborn both reforged for mastery to reach block cap. I will use this setup for melee fights and 2x stam trinkets for magic fights.

I think it would be safe to assume a 2.5% avoidance increase from raid buffs, and build that into our goal. Such that we would need 84.9% from the macro before holy shield.

However, I love to see a macro (as others mentioned previously) that included the 15% from holy shield.
Palisade

Postby Christiane » Thu Nov 18, 2010 10:36 am

I've developed a variant of the macro that provides current values and target values in one line. It's hard to fit it all into the 255-character limit of a macro, so excuse to obtuse nature of the code. The whole thing should be on one line in the game macro window.

Code: Select all
/script function f(v) return string.format("%.2f",v) end local b,d,p=GetBlockChance(),GetDodgeChance(),GetParryChance() DEFAULT_CHAT_FRAME:AddMessage("Dodge: "..f(d).."/21.6; Parry: "..f(p).."/21.44. Total: "..f(b+d+p+5).."/87.4 (102.4 inc HS)")

Output on my pally:

Dodge: 22.18/21.6; Parry: 22.03/21.44. Total: 89.12/87.4 (102.4 inc HS)
Christiane

PreviousNext

Return to Advanced Theorycraft and Calculations