Remove Advertisements

Gathering professions early in Cata.. need info..

SPOILERS Discussion about the Cataclysm Beta SPOILERS

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

Re: Gathering professions early in Cata.. need info..

Postby Sabindeus » Wed Nov 17, 2010 10:20 am

halabar wrote:ok, let's ask it a different way.. apart from phasing, what's the order to go out to level mining? Obsidian first in Vashj'ir?

Obsidium in either Vashj'ir or Hyjal.
Turn In, an NPC interaction automator - http://wow.curse.com/downloads/wow-addo ... rn-in.aspx
Sabindeus

Postby Rasmfrackn » Wed Nov 17, 2010 10:41 am

I was under the impression that you had to do a quest arc to get to Deepholm, but when I was testing my gathering skillup route there was no XP from mining so I may just have been too low level.

That said, my first order of business on dec 7th is to raise my rogue all the way to 85 via mining+herbing+archaeology, and AH everything. I found that I could get herbing to 510ish pretty easily in hyjal, but mining was pretty slow just under 500. I tried going straight from hyjal to twilight highlands, but that jump made it impossible to mine the elementium and pick the twilight jasmine. Without deepholm, I finally stumbled upon Uldum as being the skillup bridge. Whiproots in the riverbeds and enough "non-rich" elementium to finish leveling those up.

I didn't have any issue gathering in twilight highlands at 81 or whatever I got to via gathering XP, but obviously stealth is always great for gathering, especially with vanish. :)
Rasmfrackn
Dwarf Paladin
Icecrown Server
Eng/Scribe/Masochist
Rasmfrackn

Postby Sabindeus » Wed Nov 17, 2010 10:50 am

Rasmfrackn wrote:I was under the impression that you had to do a quest arc to get to Deepholm, but when I was testing my gathering skillup route there was no XP from mining so I may just have been too low level.

It's not so much an arc as it is like 1 quest from the Hero's Call Board

That said, my first order of business on dec 7th is to raise my rogue all the way to 85 via mining+herbing+archaeology, and AH everything. I found that I could get herbing to 510ish pretty easily in hyjal, but mining was pretty slow just under 500. I tried going straight from hyjal to twilight highlands, but that jump made it impossible to mine the elementium and pick the twilight jasmine. Without deepholm, I finally stumbled upon Uldum as being the skillup bridge. Whiproots in the riverbeds and enough "non-rich" elementium to finish leveling those up.

Interesting... I didnt find that Twilight Highlands had a significantly higher concentration of Rich Elementium than Deepholm or Uldum...

I didn't have any issue gathering in twilight highlands at 81 or whatever I got to via gathering XP, but obviously stealth is always great for gathering, especially with vanish. :)

hax and sploits imo
Turn In, an NPC interaction automator - http://wow.curse.com/downloads/wow-addo ... rn-in.aspx
Sabindeus

Postby Rasmfrackn » Wed Nov 17, 2010 11:01 am

Sabindeus wrote:
Rasmfrackn wrote:I was under the impression that you had to do a quest arc to get to Deepholm, but when I was testing my gathering skillup route there was no XP from mining so I may just have been too low level.

It's not so much an arc as it is like 1 quest from the Hero's Call Board

Yeah, fair enough. Like I said I'm still 81 [Correction: still 80. No XP from mining really slowed me down. TH still not a problem though.) so I couldn't verify what I needed to do. :) Good to know, though; I was hoping to get into Deepholm.

Interesting... I didnt find that Twilight Highlands had a significantly higher concentration of Rich Elementium than Deepholm or Uldum...

Maybe not, especially compared to Deepholm. But, my plan is mainly for that first week, so I want to get to as high a leveled zone as possible to get ahead of the people who are actually questing. I should be in TH in about 2 hours after I start, so that + digital download = about 11am on the 7th. Hopefully there won't be TOO many midnight liners by then.

(Side note vis a vis Uldum skillup bridge: anyone else ridiculously psyched that the teleporter between sholazar and un'goro is now a 2-way path thanks to old weather flying?)
Rasmfrackn
Dwarf Paladin
Icecrown Server
Eng/Scribe/Masochist
Rasmfrackn

Postby Sabindeus » Wed Nov 17, 2010 11:06 am

does that teleporter work if you're not on the quest?
Sabindeus

Postby Palisade » Wed Nov 17, 2010 11:13 am

Sabindeus wrote:does that teleporter work if you're not on the quest?

It did in early Wrath, I recall using it to help run friend's alts through Zul'drak instead of flying all the bloody way down from Darn or using the boat over to Rachet/Theramore.

Via bubble and jumping off the side
Palisade

Postby Nikachelle » Wed Nov 17, 2010 11:25 am

Oh wow. I never thought of that. That's amazing.
Nikachelle
Maintankadonor

Postby halabar » Wed Nov 17, 2010 1:58 pm

Sabindeus wrote:does that teleporter work if you're not on the quest?

Once you've done the quest, it always works for you.
Amirya wrote:... because everyone needs a Catagonskin rug.

twinkfist wrote:i feel bad for the Mogu...having to deal with alcoholic bears.
halabar

Postby halabar » Wed Nov 17, 2010 2:00 pm

Sabindeus wrote:
halabar wrote:ok, let's ask it a different way.. apart from phasing, what's the order to go out to level mining? Obsidian first in Vashj'ir?

Obsidium in either Vashj'ir or Hyjal.

Grrr... as someone with a geology/mineralology background, it annoys me with what they do with the mineral names. If they want to make something up, just make it up. Same issue with Pyritium or whatever it's called. Pyrite is an iron ore basically. Obsidian is volcanic glass.

halabar

Postby halabar » Wed Nov 17, 2010 2:02 pm

Rasmfrackn wrote:I didn't have any issue gathering in twilight highlands at 81 or whatever I got to via gathering XP, but obviously stealth is always great for gathering, especially with vanish. :)

Gonna like hunter's camo for mining while leveling.

halabar

Postby Sabindeus » Wed Nov 17, 2010 2:08 pm

halabar wrote:Grrr... as someone with a geology/mineralology background, it annoys me with what they do with the mineral names. If they want to make something up, just make it up. Same issue with Pyritium or whatever it's called. Pyrite is an iron ore basically. Obsidian is volcanic glass.

Just assume everything is made up. I don't think Obsidium is a real thing, is it?

Also Obsidian in WoW is an entirely unrelated material.
Sabindeus

Postby Sabindeus » Wed Nov 17, 2010 2:10 pm

halabar wrote:
Rasmfrackn wrote:I didn't have any issue gathering in twilight highlands at 81 or whatever I got to via gathering XP, but obviously stealth is always great for gathering, especially with vanish. :)

how, Camo is an 85 ability. :P
Sabindeus

Postby Braundo » Wed Nov 17, 2010 2:11 pm

halabar wrote:Grrr... as someone with a geology/mineralology background, it annoys me with what they do with the mineral names. If they want to make something up, just make it up. Same issue with Pyritium or whatever it's called. Pyrite is an iron ore basically. Obsidian is volcanic glass.

As someone who writes software for a living and has to endure every TV show and movie that talks about "hacking their mainframes," get in line.
Braundo
Maintankadonor

Postby halabar » Wed Nov 17, 2010 2:21 pm

Sabindeus wrote:
halabar wrote:

how, Camo is an 85 ability. :P

Doh!

halabar

Postby lythac » Wed Nov 17, 2010 2:30 pm

Braundo wrote:

As someone who writes software for a living and has to endure every TV show and movie that talks about "hacking their mainframes," get in line.

Hack Blizzards mainframe please and change the ore name for us.

Cheers.
Ryshad / Lythac of <Heretic> Nagrand-EU
lythac

PreviousNext

Return to Cataclysm