Remove Advertisements

Other members for Heroics

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

Other members for Heroics

Postby Somrael » Fri Dec 14, 2007 6:08 am

My guild has been doing scattered PUGs in Heroics, and yesterday we tried it out as a guild event, and got our heads kicked in. Ramps chewed us up and spat us out; we were running with me tanking (~12k armor, 10.5 hp unbuffed, over 500 defense), a resto shammy with decent gear and raid experience, a hunter, rogue, and undergeared retadin. I know that my gear is a little on the low side, though I did make uncrittable, and reading the forums here I know that the rest of the group is just as important. Does anyone have recommendations for a specific five man composition for specific heroics? I figure once we get into the swing of things, it'll be easier to swap out members, but for now we need badges and better gear (to say nothing of experience). We have access to pretty much any class/spec except druids and shadow priests. Any advice would be much obliged.
Last edited by Somrael on Fri Dec 14, 2007 7:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Only the dead have seen the end of war." -Plato
Somrael

Postby Lakirby » Fri Dec 14, 2007 6:41 am

Melee-heavy groups aren't great in hero Ramparts, mostly because of the debuff that the 2nd boss does.
<Shadows of Eternity> - Kilrogg EU - 5/5 MH 9/9 BT
Retiring 11/07/08 - Tanking to the bitter end.
Lakirby

Postby adese » Fri Dec 14, 2007 7:26 am

If you're a bit under geared for Heroics, you might want to give Slave Pens a try. It's one of the easier heroics out there, and doesn't have anything too crazy to deal with (at least nothing new that you didn't see in Normal).
adese

Postby Vanifae » Fri Dec 14, 2007 7:41 am

11k Armor is probably hurting you too.

Get better gear.
This is why I'm a humorless feminist. Because rape jokes killed my sense of humor.
Minnerva wrote:if you act like a jerk then we push you away unless when born the girl got slapped around by her father.
Vanifae

Postby Somrael » Fri Dec 14, 2007 7:52 am

Thanks; I'll get everyone together for an SP run next time. Our Retadin was having trouble in Normal 70 instances, but hopefully he'll have some time over the week to get caught up (I was doing more damage than he was, fairly consistently). I'm likely going to be running with this guys the most consistently, so if SP won't pose too much of a problem to heavy melee, it's worth trying.
Somrael

Postby Vanifae » Fri Dec 14, 2007 7:54 am

Somrael wrote:Thanks; I'll get everyone together for an SP run next time. Our Retadin was having trouble in Normal 70 instances, but hopefully he'll have some time over the week to get caught up (I was doing more damage than he was, fairly consistently). I'm likely going to be running with this guys the most consistently, so if SP won't pose too much of a problem to heavy melee, it's worth trying.

You should be able to do Slave Pens, beware the mobs that fear toward the end.
This is why I'm a humorless feminist. Because rape jokes killed my sense of humor.
Minnerva wrote:if you act like a jerk then we push you away unless when born the girl got slapped around by her father.
Vanifae

Postby Exodius » Fri Dec 14, 2007 5:06 pm

The mobs at the start fear too, just after you get out of the tunnel. :(

The hardest part of ramparts is that there are many mobs - I think about half - have the ability to stun lock the tank. Blood Furnace is similar in that respect as well.

When you are stunned, you can't parry or block. I think you can't dodge either. You just bend over and the mob will proceed to wail on you.

If your healer is not prehealing big heals for the majority of the trash, and you haven't CC'd every thing you can, then it's likely you'll die from the stuns.

I'm not a massive fan of the Slave Pens as there are so many annoying pats in the place. It's normal to skip a lot of that instance, and it's also normal to have crap wipes because you skipped stuff. I just find it frustrating. Not hard, just frustrating. :(

Although the 3 badge mech run is no more, and the mage boss cheats and the final male boss can be frustrating with his MC and the adds that he spawns... you might want to try getting two badges out of mech at least though if you want a warm up. The first 3 bosses (well, 1 boss and 2 sub) are still not easy peasy but they can give you a taste for heroics at least without instant wiping on every trash pull (at least, not hopefully). :P

Just watch out for the destoryer just before the key unlocking thing. He hits like a frieght train. You can and must have something being done to his charge fist or else it's going to be some ridiculously huge damage you will take. They normally hit harder than heroic bosses. :(

Whatever you do though, when starting heroics, don't be afraid to CC. You might have been AoE tanking normal 70s while outgearing them, but if you are borderline heroic level, it can just be painful without CCing. :(

And as for ideal group composition, I have friends in game that play a high quality holy priest, warlock and mage. I find that the core 4 of us and any random person can do the easier heroics, while the 4 of us and a solid 5th can take on any instance.

The key though is the quality of the players. Someone in full T5 who does not have a good dps rotation or understands prehealing and downranking will still struggle, no matter how much their AP or spell damage or plus healing or whatever is. :P
Exodius

Postby Somrael » Sat Dec 15, 2007 7:12 am

I think that the stuns and the healing were both issues... I'm not sure if it's fair to say our healer was "whack a mole" healing, but it felt that way (and he likes to spice things up in normal instances with some dps). Luckily my wife is a disc/holy priest with solid skills, so that will help, hopefully.

And thank you all for the advice; like another poster, I'm just about at the end of what gear I can get from Normals, so I pretty much need to start heroics/raids. I think that if we could clear a boss or two, it'd be enough of a boost to keep plugging away. SP or Mech it is. =)
Somrael

Return to 5 Mans / Heroics