Game plan for Realm 1st 85?

SPOILERS Discussion about the Cataclysm Beta SPOILERS

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

Re: Game plan for Realm 1st 85?

Postby Discus » Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:50 am

what essentially boils down to an entire game built around killing mobs and colecting items.

I think the game was originally about this but has evolved - I certainly enjoyed levelling and exploring up to about level 40 on my first character after that it was repetitive. But for many the game is now more about raids/dungeons/achievements/PVP once they hit the level cap.

If this weren't the case there wouldn't be endless threads on this and every forum on tips to hit asap and get past the dull bit.

Anyway, apologies, I risk derailing the thread with what is essentially a subjective opinion to which there is no right or wrong answer.
Discus

Postby Nikachelle » Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:51 am

It's hardly Blizzard's fault if people are sick of leveling because the customer leveled their 5th (6th, 7th, 8th, 9th...) alt through Northrend to get to level cap.

If anything, that's a success for them... that the content is so repeatable that people will actually do it many, many times.
Nikachelle
Maintankadonor

Postby Discus » Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:54 am

It's hardly Blizzard's fault if people are sick of leveling because the customer leveled their 5th (6th, 7th, 8th, 9th...) alt through Northrend to get to level cap.

I've never levelled an alt, precisely because it's would involve repeating content, it was dull by lvl 40 on my first character.

Of course many people enjoy it, but what is Blizzard's fault is their nerfing of alternative options (aoe farming) for those of us who hate questing.
Discus

Postby Nikachelle » Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:59 am

If you hate questing so much, just don't do it. Your alternative is doing dungeons.
Nikachelle
Maintankadonor

Postby Flex » Mon Nov 15, 2010 11:00 am

Nikachelle wrote:If you hate questing so much, just don't do it. Your alternative is doing dungeons.

Or leveling via PvP!
We live in a society where people born on third base constantly try to steal second, yet we expect people born with two strikes against them to hit a homerun on the first pitch.
Flex

Postby Nikachelle » Mon Nov 15, 2010 11:04 am

Flex wrote:
Nikachelle wrote:If you hate questing so much, just don't do it. Your alternative is doing dungeons.

Or leveling via PvP!

I'd considered saying that at first, but I don't think the xp gains from battlegrounds would be comparable to leveling or dungeoning. (Especially if you're stuck in a battlegroup that continuously loses.)
Nikachelle
Maintankadonor

Postby Discus » Mon Nov 15, 2010 11:16 am

I will be levelling as much as possible in dungeons. Some posts upthread are suggesting this will only be possible in gear obtained from Quests though.

The existence of Quest Add ons, many threads looking for shortcuts and exploits suggest to me I'm not the only one who hates qsting. Also Blizzard increasing XP per quest, attempting to added variety into quests, allowing XP from professions, reducing level cap from 90 to 85 all suggest to me they are slowly moving in the right direction.

Hopefully, by the next expansion, they'll abolish, or at least give more alternatives to, questing.
Discus

Postby Flex » Mon Nov 15, 2010 11:29 am

Discus wrote:I will be levelling as much as possible in dungeons. Some posts upthread are suggesting this will only be possible in gear obtained from Quests though.

The existence of Quest Add ons, many threads looking for shortcuts and exploits suggest to me I'm not the only one who hates qsting. Also Blizzard increasing XP per quest, attempting to added variety into quests, allowing XP from professions, reducing level cap from 90 to 85 all suggest to me they are slowly moving in the right direction.

Hopefully, by the next expansion, they'll abolish, or at least give more alternatives to, questing.

More XP from quests means nothing if the XP required per level increases, which it did from TBC to WotLK, needing 1 million more XP to reach 71 from 70 as compared to 70 from 69 is quite a jump, and no doubt will be the same from Cataclysm, seems 80-82 requires about 1.6 million XP and then it doubles after that.

XP from professions only affects herbalism and mining, crafting professions just get a bonus where more difficult patterns reward more skillup points.

Also level cap reduction seems to be focused solely on 5 is less than 10 when the time to reach 85 seems about the same as it was from 70 to 80.
We live in a society where people born on third base constantly try to steal second, yet we expect people born with two strikes against them to hit a homerun on the first pitch.
Flex

Postby Korola » Mon Nov 15, 2010 11:53 am

I always found it odd how in a game called Everquest, there were very few quests involved. If there was a quest, it rewarded very little XP. The game was mostly brainless pull these mobs in this area over and over again to get to level cap, then raid.

World of Warcraft has the potential to reach level cap without killing a single creature.

Quest, kill, or collect are all viable means to reach cap in WoW. I don't think you're going to reach cap first by picking flowers or chain pulling heroics. I also think that this is the way it should be.
Korola
Maintankadonor

Postby Braundo » Mon Nov 15, 2010 12:01 pm

Discus wrote:Hopefully, by the next expansion, they'll abolish [...] questing.

If you honestly hate questing so much that you want to see it removed from the game altogether, I think that World of Warcraft may not be the game for you. There's no offense intended here, just being realistic -- WoW is the game that pioneered the quest-centric progression model.

There are plenty of other MMOs out there where you can (or must) level your character through grinding, partying, crafting, or other such activities. :)
Braundo
Maintankadonor

Postby Sabindeus » Mon Nov 15, 2010 12:07 pm

Discus wrote:Hopefully, by the next expansion, they'll abolish, or at least give more alternatives to, questing.

You realize they overhauled every quest in Azeroth for this expansion, right? Everything old is new again, give it a try. Maybe it won't be so bad this time.
Turn In, an NPC interaction automator - http://wow.curse.com/downloads/wow-addo ... rn-in.aspx
Sabindeus

Postby halabar » Mon Nov 15, 2010 1:09 pm

Korola wrote:I don't think you're going to reach cap first by picking flowers or chain pulling heroics.

You might be able to do it gathering and chain pulling, depending on how camped the nodes are.

Working on my DK, just dinged 75, at lvl 74 I was getting 4300xp per node with rested, compared to about 1,600 per mob kill with rested. While I am running some questlines, considering that each quest is awarding ~20000xp at 74, if you can find 5 nodes in the time it takes to complete that one quest, you are better off gathering instead of questing, unless the quest has you killing tightly grouped mobs.

It will be interesting to see what it's like with 80-85, but I can get the nodes, I just may gather most of my way to 85, only doing the necessary quests for phasing access to areas.
Amirya wrote:... because everyone needs a Catagonskin rug.

twinkfist wrote:i feel bad for the Mogu...having to deal with alcoholic bears.
halabar

Postby halabar » Mon Nov 15, 2010 1:11 pm

Discus wrote:Hopefully, by the next expansion, they'll abolish, or at least give more alternatives to, questing.

You might be hating Cata then. There are going to be plenty of required questlines to phase access to areas. You can get lots of XP from gathering, but, you will need to do those questlines or miss some content.
Amirya wrote:... because everyone needs a Catagonskin rug.

twinkfist wrote:i feel bad for the Mogu...having to deal with alcoholic bears.
halabar

Postby Korola » Mon Nov 15, 2010 1:30 pm

halabar wrote:
Korola wrote:I don't think you're going to reach cap first by picking flowers or chain pulling heroics.

You might be able to do it gathering and chain pulling, depending on how camped the nodes are.

Working on my DK, just dinged 75, at lvl 74 I was getting 4300xp per node with rested, compared to about 1,600 per mob kill with rested. While I am running some questlines, considering that each quest is awarding ~20000xp at 74, if you can find 5 nodes in the time it takes to complete that one quest, you are better off gathering instead of questing, unless the quest has you killing tightly grouped mobs.

It will be interesting to see what it's like with 80-85, but I can get the nodes, I just may gather most of my way to 85, only doing the necessary quests for phasing access to areas.

Although in Wrath the quests often tied together in strings of 2,3, or 4. Meaning that you would grab -

Quest A - collect 8 wolf tails (20,000 xp)
Quest B - pick the stuff off the ground near the wolves (20,000 xp)
Quest C - talk to the guy near the wolves (10,000 xp who in turn gives you 3 more quests)

Most quests if done in the sequence laid out, I found them much faster than what current gathering xp is.

You do make an interesting point though, on the way to the wolves you pick 3 nodes and net 5,000 xp each. In doing so you have really added a lot of experience to the current model.
Korola
Maintankadonor

Postby Sabindeus » Mon Nov 15, 2010 1:32 pm

halabar wrote:

You might be hating Cata then. There are going to be plenty of required questlines to phase access to areas. You can get lots of XP from gathering, but, you will need to do those questlines or miss some content.

technically none of those quests are required to do anything but more quests
Turn In, an NPC interaction automator - http://wow.curse.com/downloads/wow-addo ... rn-in.aspx
Sabindeus

PreviousNext

Return to Cataclysm