Remove Advertisements

I need help

How to get started.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, lythac

I need help

Postby Aulerenea » Sun Nov 14, 2010 7:10 pm

I have severe threat issues from what I can tell from tankadin tps addon, as I have not raided, or done a heroic, since the changes. I lose threat easier though, from few things I've done I know this for a fact. Highest average threat I've produced, according to the addon, is about 6694, the most common numbers are about 4313.6, before the patch, highest was 11629.4, with the low range average around 7530.3. None of that is great, but it was adequate for my 10 man raiding group. I use the rotation from the FAQ, HoTR-Judgement-HoTR-AS-HoTR-ShoTR, granted I sometimes click wrong, but it doesn't seem to improve much for my threat numbers. Maybe I shouldn't take the average as a guide, but I figure it should have some effect due to it was higher before patch. I don't think it's gear or talents, just something I am doing wrong. My friend says it's because I click to play, but he doesn't play prot paladin, paladin at all, and I have been clicking forever, I know people say clicking is bad but... I would ask someone in my guild but we don't have a prot paladin class leader anymore.

If I shouldn't have posted, I'm sorry, I just need help and don't know where to go.
Aulerenea

Re: I need help

Postby amh » Mon Nov 15, 2010 3:18 am

Aulerenea wrote:I have severe threat issues from what I can tell from tankadin tps addon, as I have not raided, or done a heroic, since the changes.

What kind of environment have you been testing your tps in? Knowing that is kind of a big deal.

Aulerenea wrote:from the FAQ

Take a look at the new one, it's stickied in this sub-forum. :)
I used to play a paladin.
amh
Maintankadonor

Postby Aulerenea » Mon Nov 15, 2010 11:32 am

Testing I really don't do well when I think of it, once I attempted Razorscale and XT a few days after the patch first went live, it went horribly wrong, next was Magister's Terrace with a friend of mine that isn't very good, but I lost threat often to him. Guess I should have tested more before asking :/ sorry for bothering

Anyway, I'll have another look at the FAQ thanks :)
Aulerenea

Postby benebarba » Thu Nov 18, 2010 2:04 pm

people say a lot of things are bad. Not macroing, keyboard moving, mouse targeting, etc. etc... if you can't do it well, it doesn't matter what folks say is the right way. Go with what works for you, and maybe try some of the other stuff for a bit to see if it starts working for you. For example: I know that jump turns are supposed to be faster than keyboard turns, but I can't reliably do them - so I don't bother for the most part.

one thing that may be happening is that it is taking you more than 1 cooldown to move from button to button. If so, you may face a TPS drop compared to using the keys and using the mouse to do other things. This happened to me for a little while, until I got the hang of using the keyboard for both my spell/attack buttons and certain movement. But to be honest, most issues I have keeping threat is because of fat fingering the rotation or not popping certain cooldowns followd by dumb, overgeared DPS or healers who overheal or heal said dumb DPS.
benebarba

Postby Barathorn » Fri Nov 26, 2010 8:01 am

Just to echo that clicking for most raids is fine, you won't be as quick as a binder but you can be very competant as a clicker.

Amh showed me the differences and now I click and bind to play and it is quicker.
Sabindeus wrote:I feel like I should get a t-shirt made for me that says "Not Socially Awkward, Just Fat".

Brekkie wrote:The world will always need people to dig ditches.
Barathorn

Location: Hitting Panda's over the head with a cricket bat shouting Get Orf My Lawn!

Postby Chasey » Sun Nov 28, 2010 2:56 am

I have tried really hard to only bind, it hasn't progressed that far, I do click at times. I have worked to get most of my movement to mouse turn and my majority of spells are bound. Its made me faster but there are a few things I click still.

This thread really helped me alot.http://ferarro.blogspot.com/2008/12/my-set-up.html
Chasey

Return to Basic Training & Talents