Remove Advertisements

Game plan for Realm 1st 85?

SPOILERS Discussion about the Cataclysm Beta SPOILERS

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

Game plan for Realm 1st 85?

Postby fudomyou » Fri Nov 12, 2010 6:22 pm

I'm talking with one of my main healers about how we're going to take some vacation days and try to be our realm first 85s - we have a questing game plan since he's been scoping out the beta, but he doesn't have experience with the dungeons.

Do you guys know what the most efficient XP/hour is between repeatedly hitting dungeons and burning through quests? What's the best plan for hitting 85 before the uberguilds get there? And do I need to get my ret set ready just in case it's faster than prot leveling, then pull out the prot set for dungeons? :)

Thanks.
fudomyou
Maintankadonor

Re: Game plan for Realm 1st 85?

Postby Invisusira » Fri Nov 12, 2010 7:45 pm

Best way to do it is to force your son into slave labor, © my GM. But that requires you to have a son.
Invisusira

Postby Nikachelle » Fri Nov 12, 2010 9:58 pm

Don't sleep. Seriously.

You think if you can nap and keep out-leveling people? You won't. Don't sleep, and maybe you'll have realm first.
Nikachelle
Maintankadonor

Postby Xequecal » Fri Nov 12, 2010 10:16 pm

To do this I strongly suspect you're going to need some kind of degenerate XPing trick. Questing will never do it. There's no way you can count on being a faster quester than thousands of others attempting the same thing. A healer will only slow you down.

They took the target cap off Divine Storm, the fastest leveling I could think of would be something like speccing Ret in Prot gear, and pulling Hall of Stone in its entirety on normal mode then AoEing it down. Do that once every five minutes and I don't see anyone keeping up via questing.
Xequecal

Postby Neptuno » Sat Nov 13, 2010 12:32 am

that may be good for the first level or two, but your gear will fall behind and you'll be stuck when you need to do some of the new places without new gear.

my thoughts would be "plan for endurance" people take breaks, why should you? stock up on fluids, get a catheter inserted and a nice chair that doesn't cause strain, then the day before you sleep until 2 hours before launch, and gtg!
Neptuno

Postby Braundo » Sat Nov 13, 2010 1:14 am

Neptuno wrote:get a catheter inserted

:shock:
Braundo
Maintankadonor

Postby Marsha » Sat Nov 13, 2010 3:03 am

One more time.

Questing (and running each 5 man once) is the smartest way to level. Quest speed and layout have been improved in so many ways now, plus you'll want the rep from all the zones factions. Doing a 5 man as you discover each one is a good idea, but just run it once for the rewards and exp, and do it in a guild group so you all earn guild rep.

The quest rewards are items you'll need to start doing 5 man heroics once you reach 85.

Be color blind in using those items over your current epics. They are almost all upgrades. Your set bonuses aren't that important either. If you made smart choices your average item level as a fresh 85 will be 320 or more.

Have some basic cut gems and enchant scrolls on your toon to use on those items, and reforge as needed.

Use flasks and fish feasts at all times. Have the mats for Feast on hand to level up cooking to 455.

Have lots of bag space available. Buy some of the new foods from a vendor. You'll make a lot of gold along the way to 85 so spend cash as needed to level professions faster.

When I first log in I plan make sure I enabled my mods. I'll go to the Flight Master and buy old world flying. Then visit all my profession trainers and pick up archeology. I'll have slots on my bar ready to take the icon for digging, and at least 2 empty ones key-bound for on use quest items I'll get in my bags. I'll stop by my class trainer to make sure I have everything and hit up the First Aid trainer. The new bandages are actually good now and I used them a lot to speed up down time. I'll probably go do Vash'jr 1st and then do Hyjall. By the time I've done them both I'll be 82 and then off to Deepholme. 84 in Ulduam and get to 85 in Twilight Highlands, and then the real fun starts.
Marsha

Postby Skye1013 » Sat Nov 13, 2010 3:29 am

Marsha wrote:One more time.

Questing (and running each 5 man once) is the smartest way to level.

How do you account for the thousands of other players sharing your quest zones, trying to kill the same mobs/collect the same items? Exactly how is that faster than dungeon grinding? I could see this working faster once you leave the "starting" zones, but up until that point...
"me no gay, me friends gay, me no like you call me gay, you dumb dumb" -bldavis
"Here are the values that I stand for: I stand for honesty, equality, kindness, compassion, treating people the way you wanna be treated, and helping those in need. To me, those are traditional values. That’s what I stand for." -Ellen Degeneres
"I'm not going to censor myself to comfort your ignorance." -Jon Stewart
Horde: Clopin Dylon Sharkbait Xiaman Metria Metapriest
Alliance: Schatze Aleks Deegee Baileyi Sotanaht Danfer Shazta Rawrsalot Roobyroo
Skye1013
Maintankadonor

Postby Treck » Sat Nov 13, 2010 4:18 am

Nikachelle wrote:Don't sleep. Seriously.

You think if you can nap and keep out-leveling people? You won't. Don't sleep, and maybe you'll have realm first.

Its expected to take like 8hours to level all the way, its not gonna be a hard time staying away all the way to 85.
Treck

Postby Ryyu » Sat Nov 13, 2010 7:00 am

As someone else said, go to icecrown, Do all the dailys you can on the 6th (close area so can hand them in asap) when 00:01 Comes. it is quite a chunk of 81, oh and leave Hyjal/vashj the SECOND you ding 82, get to the next zone asap.

Edit oh and This.
Ryyu

Postby Passionario » Sat Nov 13, 2010 8:04 am

Skye1013 wrote:How do you account for the thousands of other players sharing your quest zones, trying to kill the same mobs/collect the same items? Exactly how is that faster than dungeon grinding? I could see this working faster once you leave the "starting" zones, but up until that point...

Supposedly all new zones are heavily phased.
If you are not the flame, you're the fuel.
Passionario

Postby Chicken » Sat Nov 13, 2010 8:36 am

There's some other less obvious things you can do as well, for instance start an open question on your realm forums asking what zone people are going to start leveling in, then pick the less popular option to start your leveling in to reduce competition. You can also further manipulate things by having someone with beta experience (Or without for that matter), posting in the thread saying one of the two zones is much better, encouraging more people to go to the zone you aren't doing to start with.

If you're on a PvP realm you also have additional options open to you, so as long as you know enough people (preferably on both factions) that don't particularly care about getting to level 80 first but who do love to PvP. Encourage them to do their best to kill any competition you might have! In particular reminding people this might be their one good shot at the revival of world PvP might help encourage some of them to change their priorities to killing each other instead of getting higher level.
Chicken

Postby fudomyou » Sat Nov 13, 2010 10:19 am

Ryyu wrote:As someone else said, go to icecrown, Do all the dailys you can on the 6th (close area so can hand them in asap) when 00:01 Comes. it is quite a chunk of 81, oh and leave Hyjal/vashj the SECOND you ding 82, get to the next zone asap.

Edit oh and This.

This is a great suggestion that I totally hadn't thought of. Thanks!

Meanwhile, the tundra mammoth is affordable if I drain all my alts of cash. I do, however, have Jeeves and the Argent Squire. Are those not sufficient?
fudomyou
Maintankadonor

Postby Teranoid » Sat Nov 13, 2010 10:26 am

Treck wrote:
Nikachelle wrote:Don't sleep. Seriously.

Its expected to take like 8hours to level all the way, its not gonna be a hard time staying away all the way to 85.

I really hope this is a typo. There's no way in hell it's only going to take even hardcore players 8 hours to hit the cap.
Teranoid

Postby amh » Sat Nov 13, 2010 11:02 am

I would avoid Vashj´ir like the plague on launch day. The first few quests need to happen in a strict order to unlock the others, and two of those involve killing stuff in close proximity to where everyone-and-their-mothers-and-,-well-,-their-entire-extended-family is going to be.

1: Kill a few neutral sea creatures and loot a seashell. This one isn´t half bad, but if you´re unlucky, you can waste a good 5 minutes on it.

2: Kill a few hostile naga. This one is the real bottleneck. The respawn-rate sucks, so if you aren´t grouped up, it´s gonna take you ages. Might not be god-awful at 00.10, but at 10:00? Forget it, it´ll take you half an hour.

(3: Kill goblin-like raiders and/or loot items from the ground. This one probably won´t be as bad, since you´re past the horde of people grinding raiders, but it can be terrible.)

Once those two are done, it won´t be half as shit. I did them right after they sent out a wave of beta invites, so launch day on a smaller scale. Infuriating to say the least. Hopefully people will think "Ooh, fishies and shinies and sea-mounts and fucking rainbows!" and go Vashj´ir, so Hyjal won´t be as crowded. :)
I used to play a paladin.
amh
Maintankadonor

Next

Return to Cataclysm