Remove Advertisements

Quick Question for Beta Testers - Help me Level!

SPOILERS Discussion about the Cataclysm Beta SPOILERS

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

Quick Question for Beta Testers - Help me Level!

Postby Goins2754 » Tue Nov 09, 2010 11:58 am

I was wondering if someone could suggest some really good grinding mobs for Cata. I need some 82-83 level mobs to carry me to 85.

I'm talking about genuine grinding mobs. Maybe a large pack, or mobs that respawn quickly. Something that I can kill over and over until my fingers bleed and knock out these levels. I'm looking to kill these for 48 hours straight and make a run at some server firsts.

Zone and coordinates would be VERY helpful.

Thanks!
Goins2754

Re: Quick Question for Beta Testers - Help me Level!

Postby Sabindeus » Tue Nov 09, 2010 1:02 pm

:|

you will probably be disappointed when you hit L82 and the mobs start killing you.
Turn In, an NPC interaction automator - http://wow.curse.com/downloads/wow-addo ... rn-in.aspx
Sabindeus

Postby Arees » Tue Nov 09, 2010 1:27 pm

Sabindeus wrote::|

you will probably be disappointed when you hit L82 and the mobs start killing you.

This a hundred times over. When I was 74 and questing in twilight highlands I would run into trouble pulling more than 2, and just 2 was usually enough to where I spam WoG every time I get HoPo which makes it take even longer to kill things.
Arees

Postby Marsha » Tue Nov 09, 2010 3:22 pm

Goins2754 wrote:I need some 82-83 level mobs to carry me to 85.

Grinding mobs is really a bad idea. On Alpha I was out of quests and had a bar and a half to reach 85 so I just killed some level 82-83 mobs in MH but it's not fun or recommended. It took less than 4 hours.

Once beta opened some more zones, I leveled another copy, and once again found doing quests in each zone was by far the most efficient and sensible method to level. If you take a few seconds and actually read the quests they go fast, and with the in game tools you really don't need any mods at all. The games map an mini map have icons you simply can't miss, and with the objective tracker up you can minimize travel time by a lot. Questing is simply a lot better than it's ever been before.

Leveling to 85 is the easy part of Cataclysm. You'll see players hit 85 in less than 24 hours. It's all you have to get done once at 85 is where the real fun starts.
Marsha

Postby Arianne » Tue Nov 09, 2010 4:54 pm

Hitting 85 in 24 hours just by following quests? :o That's kinda crazy...
Arianne

Postby Sabindeus » Tue Nov 09, 2010 5:19 pm

Yeah that seems a little quick to me... but I could just be slow I suppose. 80->81 was veeeeery fast that I will vouch for.
Turn In, an NPC interaction automator - http://wow.curse.com/downloads/wow-addo ... rn-in.aspx
Sabindeus

Postby steadypal » Tue Nov 09, 2010 5:44 pm

lvl 80-82 in vash and hyjal were extremely quick and painless as prot, almost hit 83 in deepholm, took a little break til they upped the lvl cap, during that time i guess they made all the mobs hit harder to, cause i hit lvl 83, and i was constantly getting crushed by 2-3 mobs having to WOG every 3 holy power, so idk how im going to lvl, i'd assume ret would get owned, but kill stuff faster
steadypal

Postby Bastien » Tue Nov 09, 2010 5:55 pm

I think 80->85 in 24 hours is probably achievable. I need to check my character's /played to see where I am in terms of finish time.
ImageImage
Bastien

Postby Sabindeus » Tue Nov 09, 2010 6:54 pm

steadypal wrote:lvl 80-82 in vash and hyjal were extremely quick and painless as prot, almost hit 83 in deepholm, took a little break til they upped the lvl cap, during that time i guess they made all the mobs hit harder to, cause i hit lvl 83, and i was constantly getting crushed by 2-3 mobs having to WOG every 3 holy power, so idk how im going to lvl, i'd assume ret would get owned, but kill stuff faster

Yeah, I know which break you're referring to and they boosted mob hp/damage during that time.

And yeah around the L83 Deepholm level is when you start getting fairly punished by mobs if you're still in ICC epics.
Sabindeus

Postby Passionario » Wed Nov 10, 2010 1:50 am

What happens if one stays in Northrend and farms those instantly respawning one-shottable cultists at the 3-cauldron spot?
If you are not the flame, you're the fuel.
Passionario

Postby Téuntjûh » Wed Nov 10, 2010 8:41 am

you probs get almost no xp @ all.
Like when BC and WotLK hit, the XP you get from the new content mobs is way higher!
Thats why people run into Hellfire Peninsula when they hit 55!
Téuntjûh

Postby Fridmarr » Wed Nov 10, 2010 9:33 am

I haven't played in this alpha or beta much, but in the past, beta leveling speed was purposely set to be quite a bit faster than what live ended up being.
Fridmarr
Global Mod

Postby Passionario » Fri Nov 12, 2010 4:51 am

Téuntjûh wrote:you probs get almost no xp @ all.
Like when BC and WotLK hit, the XP you get from the new content mobs is way higher!

To be fair, we weren't getting brutally mauled and forced to constantly heal ourselves at levels 63+ and 73+.
So having access to one-shottable forced-respawning mooks sounds more attractive this time.

How much XP do Northrend mobs award on beta, compared to new ones?

Edit: For that matter, how much XP do Northrend gathering nodes award to post-80 characters?
If you are not the flame, you're the fuel.
Passionario

Postby PsiVen » Fri Nov 12, 2010 6:12 am

The XP granted by gathering nodes, pre-Cataclysm mobs, etc. is far too low to even think about grinding on them efficiently.

The XP granted by grinding Cataclysm mobs is far lower than questing, which is also known as "turning in massive XP/gear bonuses in between grinding mobs." Half the mobs in the game don't even appear now until you've gotten the quest for them. They are all far too powerful to AoE farm.

There's no gimmick to level by, grind dungeons hard or quest hard if you want a chance at the server first. And yes, it's approximately 24 hours /played to 85. 70->80 was about 30 hours IIRC.
Gladiator Psiven, Retired Tankadin
WoW-sober since March 2014
Longtime addict of Space - Glory Through Conquest
PsiVen

Postby Goins2754 » Fri Nov 12, 2010 9:26 am

PsiVen wrote:The XP granted by gathering nodes, pre-Cataclysm mobs, etc. is far too low to even think about grinding on them efficiently.

The XP granted by grinding Cataclysm mobs is far lower than questing, which is also known as "turning in massive XP/gear bonuses in between grinding mobs." Half the mobs in the game don't even appear now until you've gotten the quest for them. They are all far too powerful to AoE farm.

There's no gimmick to level by, grind dungeons hard or quest hard if you want a chance at the server first. And yes, it's approximately 24 hours /played to 85. 70->80 was about 30 hours IIRC.

Ah, well eff it. I'm not gonna race through the content and not fully experience the leveling through the new zones just to get a server first. If I could've grinded the mobs for the win and then gone back and leisurely do all the quests, I would have done it. I'll still try, but it sounds like I'd be a long shot to compete against anyone who's just flying through quests.
Goins2754

Next

Return to Cataclysm