Remove Advertisements

What gear is needed for the first couple of instances?

SPOILERS Discussion about the Cataclysm Beta SPOILERS

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

Re: What gear is needed for the first couple of instances?

Postby Sabindeus » Wed Nov 10, 2010 2:26 pm

Linguist wrote:Also, we are on a 1:4 ratio of Alliance to Horde. Questing will be near impossible.

Meh, SMolderthorn is a similar ratio and we managed to quest in WotLK.
Turn In, an NPC interaction automator - http://wow.curse.com/downloads/wow-addo ... rn-in.aspx
Sabindeus

Postby bldavis » Wed Nov 10, 2010 2:26 pm

Linguist wrote:
thatguy wrote:I may be mistaken, but I thought you had physically find the new dungeons or you had to do some quest chains that lead up to the dungeon in order to do the Cata dungeons. So at 12:01, you can't just queue up for those dungeons.

Also, haven't beta testers shown that questing is actually the faster way to level? I guess I might also be worried about instances being buggy. H: HoR was buggy where you couldn't set foot on the ship the first night it was relased. Maybe I'm too conservative but I'd take the safer route and quest while relying heavily on No-Doze, Red Bull, and a supply of Clif Bars in my reach.

Yes I know you have to physically find them.

Also, we are on a 1:4 ratio of Alliance to Horde. Questing will be near impossible.

i suggest getting the hell off that server then, as you will be lucky to do any leveling if you cant even find the dungeons to run them
<3 PvE servers

Brekkie:Tanks are like shitty DPS. And healers are like REALLY distracted DPS
Amirya:Why yes, your penis is longer than his because you hit 30k dps in the first 10 seconds. But guess what? That raid boss has a dick bigger than your ego.
Flex:I don't make mistakes. I execute carefully planned strategic group wipes.
Levie:(in /g) It's weird, I have a collar and I dont know where I got it from, Worgen are kinky!
Levie:Drunk Lev goes and does what he pleases just to annoy sober Lev.
Sagara:You see, you need to *spread* the bun before you insert the hot dog.
bldavis

Location: Searching for myself. If i get back before I return, please have me stop and wait for myself.

Postby Sabindeus » Wed Nov 10, 2010 2:27 pm

Finding the entrance to Blackrock Caverns is easy (seriously it's like right there) and you can totally level to 85 in it alone.
Turn In, an NPC interaction automator - http://wow.curse.com/downloads/wow-addo ... rn-in.aspx
Sabindeus

Postby thatguy » Wed Nov 10, 2010 2:28 pm

Linguist wrote:
thatguy wrote:I may be mistaken, but I thought you had physically find the new dungeons or you had to do some quest chains that lead up to the dungeon in order to do the Cata dungeons. So at 12:01, you can't just queue up for those dungeons.

Also, haven't beta testers shown that questing is actually the faster way to level? I guess I might also be worried about instances being buggy. H: HoR was buggy where you couldn't set foot on the ship the first night it was relased. Maybe I'm too conservative but I'd take the safer route and quest while relying heavily on No-Doze, Red Bull, and a supply of Clif Bars in my reach.

Yes I know you have to physically find them.

Also, we are on a 1:4 ratio of Alliance to Horde. Questing will be near impossible.

Is it a pvp server?

Frankly, I would think that the vast majority of people at the very beginning of Cata will completely ignore pvp unless there's a zone like Grizzly Hills. You aren't the only one trying to level your toon. Everyone wants to get to the cap and the "live and let live" concept will trump over the "Hey, let's go gank". I play on Korgath and pvp is pretty much a common theme but at WotLK release, nobody cared at all about pvp, they cared about getting to 80. I'll bet a nickel that this will be the same for Cata.
thatguy

Postby Palisade » Wed Nov 10, 2010 2:30 pm

Linguist wrote:Yes I know you have to physically find them.

Is this a PvP server?
Palisade

Postby bldavis » Wed Nov 10, 2010 2:31 pm

Palisade wrote:
Linguist wrote:Yes I know you have to physically find them.

Is this a PvP server?

if its not a PvP server then wtf is the problem?

Amirya:Why yes, your penis is longer than his because you hit 30k dps in the first 10 seconds. But guess what? That raid boss has a dick bigger than your ego.
Levie:(in /g) It's weird, I have a collar and I dont know where I got it from, Worgen are kinky!
bldavis

Location: Searching for myself. If i get back before I return, please have me stop and wait for myself.

Postby cerwillis » Wed Nov 10, 2010 2:44 pm

So all this is so you can get server first 85 dwarf or something? Seems like a lot of trouble considering you have very little chance of beating hordies to 85 that CAN quest, presumably.
Mistawillis - Cerwillis - Turbowillis - Evilan
<Silent Resolve> Durotan/SW:TOR Shii-Cho
Miniwillis <PK> SC
cerwillis
Maintankadonor

Postby bldavis » Wed Nov 10, 2010 2:56 pm

they removed the achieves for realm first race, its just class and prof now

bldavis

Postby Palisade » Wed Nov 10, 2010 2:59 pm

Then it doesn't seem like there's much liklihood of this guy getting any server firsts
Palisade

Postby Bastien » Wed Nov 10, 2010 3:00 pm

cerwillis wrote:So all this is so you can get server first 85 dwarf or something?

IIRC they removed the server first achievement for races.

Linguist wrote: Yes I know you have to physically find them.

I’m assuming that you are anticipating a large amount of PvP or high competition for quest items/mobs. Keep in mind that the new levelling zones are phased. You will only be competing for quest items/mobs with characters that are in the same phase as yours. I found very little competition on beta.

That being said, I wasn't really comfortable as a tank AoE'ing through most dungeons WotLK-style on beta until I started running them on an 85 premade with ilvl 333 gear. Maybe it was just me.

If I were attempting this, I would plan to use CC - at least the first several times through - until I had replaced most/all of my WotLK gear with Cata greens and blues.
ImageImage
Bastien

Postby cerwillis » Wed Nov 10, 2010 3:00 pm

Then considering that questing is by far > dungeons (according to the beta people), how does this guy plan to beat hordies with a 4:1 ratio? /boggle
Miniwillis <PK> SC
cerwillis
Maintankadonor

Postby thatguy » Wed Nov 10, 2010 3:05 pm

Just for my own clarity, since it's a class thing, does that mean a Belf/Tauren paladin and a Dwarf/Human/Draenei paladin are fighting for the same server firsts? Or are there two server level 85 paladin firsts (one for horde and one for alliance)?

If it's the former, then just enjoy your sleep and smell some roses along the way.
thatguy

Postby Braundo » Wed Nov 10, 2010 3:17 pm

I'm pretty sure that "Realm First Level 85 Paladin" means exactly that -- it's server-wide and not limited by faction.
Braundo
Maintankadonor

Postby Linguist » Wed Nov 10, 2010 3:38 pm

It's a PvP server. When WOTLK came out, there was so much PvP it took me about a week to hit 80. Was ridiculous. Anywhere I went, PvP and ganking. To make matter worse, being outnumbered increased the chance of PvP encounters. I'm not saying I don't like PvP/want it, but until I hit 85, I want to avoid it.

Instancing seems faster to us. Quests give a hell of a lot of XP, but if the we instance nonstop I'm thinking It'd be faster because of travel time, etc. Besides, questing after still yields more gold, correct?

We already have an engineer and already stocking up on supplies. Last thing we really need is to study up on the dungeons. So far, I just need to know if CC is needed for trash. Really. It seems like it is for some pulls, but if possible, we are trying to avoid it.

But, no one really is answering my question about anything it seems. I just want to know what kind of gear I need to out tank REGULAR instances in Cata for just spam instances. With minimum CC.

Don't tell me I'm doing it wrong. Don't tell me questing is faster. All I want to know if what gear I need.
Linguist

Postby cerwillis » Wed Nov 10, 2010 3:43 pm

If you're going for server first 85, you're doing it wrong. Questing is faster.
Miniwillis <PK> SC
cerwillis
Maintankadonor

PreviousNext

Return to Cataclysm