Professions

SPOILERS Discussion about the Cataclysm Beta SPOILERS

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

Re: Professions

Postby Zalaria » Wed Nov 10, 2010 11:40 am

Anubelle wrote:
Zalaria wrote:The JC trinkets aren't trainer patterns this time around.
They start from a drop, which gives a quest, which gives the item on completion.

It's probably safe to assume that they can't drop again after you've done the quest, though I'm not certain about that.

Hmm, that seems pretty convincing, although I did find this on Wowhead.

I think those were in for earlier beta builds, but were taken out when they converted to the drop/quest version. They also removed the spell from JC spellbooks.
Dovie'andi se tovya sagain - It's time to roll the dice
Zalaria
Maintankadonor

Postby KysenMurrin » Wed Nov 10, 2010 12:16 pm

Yeah, that's right. I got all the recipes to drop in Vashj'ir (they all dropped right one after the other in one area) shortly before they were removed (couldn't level up my JC enough at the time); the recipes stayed in my bags after, but when I finally got 475 JC they were unlearnable. The quest item drops I got one in Vashj'ir then the rest of them (again all one after the other) in Deepholm.
Temporarily playing WoW again.
Donnan - Nangun - Kysen - Kysen - Mardun - Timkins

Mostly-Book Blog.
KysenMurrin

Postby Arees » Wed Nov 10, 2010 2:01 pm

Zalaria wrote:
Braundo wrote:
Anubelle wrote:Anyway I'm glad I made this post. Someone mentioned the availability of the Figurine - Earthen Guardian trinket and that alone guarantees that it's worth it to stick to JC for at least the first few weeks of the expansion.

The other thing that I noticed is that (well, based on the data we have available now, anyway) the JC-only trinkets aren't Unique-Equipped like previous ones have been. You couldn't use both Use effects, but you could stack two to get an easy Stamina boost while starting out, perhaps.

There's another trinket with Mastery that could be stackable in the same way, potentially.

The JC trinkets aren't trainer patterns this time around.
They start from a drop, which gives a quest, which gives the item on completion.

It's probably safe to assume that they can't drop again after you've done the quest, though I'm not certain about that.

When I was leveling up on the beta, I got all the trinket drop quests in deepholm and after I completed the stam/dodge one I have never seen it drop again. I never made the healing or the caster dps one though and I see them drop over and over... on live I think I will make them just to prevent them from dropping again.
Arees

Postby Palisade » Wed Nov 10, 2010 2:57 pm

lol If you get skill ranks for them, might as well
Palisade

Postby Neptuno » Wed Nov 10, 2010 4:01 pm

rerolling professions does possibly give you a temporary stam increase, but in the long run, they'll balance the numbers again and what you'll end up with is a lot less gold if you go chasing professions every tier... and those vanilla mats aren't getting any cheaper.
Neptuno

Postby Flex » Wed Nov 10, 2010 6:24 pm

Nikachelle wrote:
Palisade wrote:But they'll be worth having in the mean time. EVERYTHING gets replaced in this game, "eventually"

Certain things don't. For example, JC gets prismatics gems (I'm assuming the same in Cataclysm), this never goes away as you can use it every time with new gear. Whereas Alchemy gets that +stamina trinket (their stone thingy), but they'll end up replacing that pretty early on and will have no way to gain that extra bit of stamina on a regular basis.

Mixology makes a 1300 health flask grant 1950 health.
We live in a society where people born on third base constantly try to steal second, yet we expect people born with two strikes against them to hit a homerun on the first pitch.
Flex

Postby Nikachelle » Thu Nov 11, 2010 9:12 am

Flex wrote:
Nikachelle wrote:
Palisade wrote:But they'll be worth having in the mean time. EVERYTHING gets replaced in this game, "eventually"

Certain things don't. For example, JC gets prismatics gems (I'm assuming the same in Cataclysm), this never goes away as you can use it every time with new gear. Whereas Alchemy gets that +stamina trinket (their stone thingy), but they'll end up replacing that pretty early on and will have no way to gain that extra bit of stamina on a regular basis.

Mixology makes a 1300 health flask grant 1950 health.

Yeah but it's not "unbuffed". So technically it doesn't look as impressive standing around Dalaran. ;)
Nikachelle
Maintankadonor

Postby lythac » Thu Nov 11, 2010 10:01 am

Braundo wrote:It's not that there would ever be an encounter where you had to have a specific profession combination, but for people who care about min-maxing, even a 0.1% survivability/stats boost means something. I agree that I wouldn't consider it worth it to relevel a profession completely just for that small boost, but the point is that there are some people on here who would. If you're in a guild that takes bleeding edge progression seriously, then it may be worth it to get every single advantage available to you, no matter how miniscule or how great the time-to-reward ratio may be.

I agree that going from Mining to Jewelcrafting for most of us is not worth it. There are however fights where a profession can make a more sizable difference, mainly if sta is not the major concern. Then you are getting more than just a small boost, but for one fight.

Of course I am talking about Heroic Anub add tanking. JC, BS and LW had quite an advantage over professions solely offering sta. When that was the hardest fight or you were chasing the no wiping achievement then it was totally worth rerolling to one of them from say Mining.

Myself I plan to drop Mining and pick up either BS or Alch (need to look at the alch trinket more) shortly after cata once my mining has gotten me the mats for leveling JC and lowbie mats if I go the BS route.

Dear God it looks good Lifebound Alchemist Stone. Not enough to specifically reroll to alch but if you are rerolling to get away from mining it is worth considering.
Ryshad / Lythac of <Heretic> Nagrand-EU
lythac

Postby Flex » Thu Nov 11, 2010 10:16 am

lythac wrote:Dear God it looks good Lifebound Alchemist Stone. Not enough to specifically reroll to alch but if you are rerolling to get away from mining it is worth considering.

3 non-prof stam trinkets
We live in a society where people born on third base constantly try to steal second, yet we expect people born with two strikes against them to hit a homerun on the first pitch.
Flex

Postby lythac » Thu Nov 11, 2010 11:47 am

Flex wrote:
lythac wrote:Dear God it looks good Lifebound Alchemist Stone. Not enough to specifically reroll to alch but if you are rerolling to get away from mining it is worth considering.

3 non-prof stam trinkets

Yes, which is why it is not enough to reroll to alch given there are other decent trinkets.

It is not just the sta that makes the trinket appealing to me, it is also the static mastery. The trinket *hasn't had any itemisation "wasted" on an on use effect/proc, granted the other sta trinkets look to have decent on use/proc effects.

*don't think the potion effect takes any away.
Ryshad / Lythac of <Heretic> Nagrand-EU
lythac

Postby Candiru » Thu Nov 11, 2010 3:17 pm

Nikachelle wrote:Yeah but it's not "unbuffed". So technically it doesn't look as impressive standing around Dalaran. ;)

Alchemists get an infinite use flask which can be used in arenas etc which essentially gives them their mixology bonus in a bottle. I think its limited to non-stam stats though so maybe its not as impressive for Dalaran.
Candiru

Postby rodos » Thu Nov 11, 2010 4:45 pm

Candiru wrote:
Nikachelle wrote:Yeah but it's not "unbuffed". So technically it doesn't look as impressive standing around Dalaran. ;)

Alchemists get an infinite use flask which can be used in arenas etc which essentially gives them their mixology bonus in a bottle. I think its limited to non-stam stats though so maybe its not as impressive for Dalaran.

Who's going to be standing around in Dalaran at 85 anyway?
rodos

Postby Xequecal » Thu Nov 11, 2010 10:53 pm

lythac wrote:
Flex wrote:

3 non-prof stam trinkets

Yes, which is why it is not enough to reroll to alch given there are other decent trinkets.

It is not just the sta that makes the trinket appealing to me, it is also the static mastery. The trinket *hasn't had any itemisation "wasted" on an on use effect/proc, granted the other sta trinkets look to have decent on use/proc effects.

*don't think the potion effect takes any away.

Alch is the only profession that can grant a stacking bonus to armor. (Mixology with armor elixir) It is also one of only two that can grant a stacking bonus to magic resists and also only one of two that can grant a stacking bonus to mastery rating.

If they put in an enchant bracer - stamina for cataclysm I really can't recommend going Alch/Engineering more strongly. I did the math, this profession combo will be able to block cap in 5-man dungeon gear (including the reputation epics, BS crafted epic shield, and your own profession epics) without having to gem for mastery or use pure +mastery trinkets. Without the engineering helm and alch trinket I don't see it possible to get there without resorting to buying all the BS crafted epics (tens of thousands, if not hundreds of thousands of gold in the first few weeks for chest/belt, as they need three BoP orbs while the shield is only one) as well as using a pure +mastery trinket aimed at DPS classes.
Xequecal

Postby Neptuno » Thu Nov 11, 2010 11:26 pm

Candiru wrote:

flask of the north didn't increase with mixology unless it was changed recently. if they provide regular updates to trinkets so they don't fall behind in 1 tier, then they're something to write home about... unfortunately, the need to have the alchemist stone equipped for the potion to be better falls short of engineering where you just need to make it an injector and it always heals better.
Neptuno

Postby KysenMurrin » Fri Nov 12, 2010 12:10 am

The Alchemy arena flasks give you just enough to match profession bonuses from other profs. They don't need the mixology bonus to serve their purpose.
Temporarily playing WoW again.
Donnan - Nangun - Kysen - Kysen - Mardun - Timkins

Mostly-Book Blog.
KysenMurrin

PreviousNext

Return to Cataclysm