Professions

SPOILERS Discussion about the Cataclysm Beta SPOILERS

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

Re: Professions

Postby Feanorion » Tue Nov 09, 2010 1:51 pm

Rasmfrackn wrote:---If I had my choice I'd just go JC since it's obviously their favorite profession to give things to, but---

In Wrath, JC started off great as far as "giving stuff to", but after the monarch crab was made obsolete, JC got literally NOTHING cool or fun to do for the rest of the expac. Not complaining about the stats: the Dragon's Eyes gave great stats, but so did every other viable tank prof. No new designs from raid drops. No new designs from the Primordial Saronite tier. Monarch Crab at level 75--- then nothing.
Feanorion

Postby Kelaan » Tue Nov 09, 2010 4:48 pm

Malthrax wrote:wait... I can do engineering +armor and engineering rawrketlawlcher on the same pair of gloves????

I don't believe you can.

You can stack an engineering tinker with a (use) effect (e.g., rocket launcher, MC dish, rocket boots, parachute) with a NON-TINKER enhancement (e.g., haste for cloak, helm enchant, icewalker, AP for gloves).
Kelaan

Postby bldavis » Tue Nov 09, 2010 4:53 pm

Kelaan wrote:
Malthrax wrote:wait... I can do engineering +armor and engineering rawrketlawlcher on the same pair of gloves????

I don't believe you can.

You can stack an engineering tinker with a (use) effect (e.g., rocket launcher, MC dish, rocket boots, parachute) with a NON-TINKER enhancement (e.g., haste for cloak, helm enchant, icewalker, AP for gloves).

ya i think its a regular enchant and a tinker, not 2 tinkers

Brekkie:Tanks are like shitty DPS. And healers are like REALLY distracted DPS
Amirya:Why yes, your penis is longer than his because you hit 30k dps in the first 10 seconds. But guess what? That raid boss has a dick bigger than your ego.
Flex:I don't make mistakes. I execute carefully planned strategic group wipes.
Levie:(in /g) It's weird, I have a collar and I dont know where I got it from, Worgen are kinky!
Levie:Drunk Lev goes and does what he pleases just to annoy sober Lev.
Sagara:You see, you need to *spread* the bun before you insert the hot dog.
bldavis

Location: Searching for myself. If i get back before I return, please have me stop and wait for myself.

Postby Malarkey » Tue Nov 09, 2010 4:55 pm

Kelaan wrote:

I don't believe you can.

You can. The armor enchant cannot be stacked with other +stat enchant but it can stack with the other tinker (haste, rocket).

The Gnomish MC doesn't have any +stam with it anymore either but it does stack with the helm enchant.
Malarkey

Postby Rasmfrackn » Tue Nov 09, 2010 6:34 pm

Malarkey wrote:The Gnomish MC doesn't have any +stam with it anymore either but it does stack with the helm enchant.

I just gained ~500 HPs when I put it on this morning after reading this thread... I think it still works. :)
Rasmfrackn
Dwarf Paladin
Icecrown Server
Eng/Scribe/Masochist
Rasmfrackn

Postby Xequecal » Tue Nov 09, 2010 7:40 pm

Engineering has been made significantly weaker in the beta. The nitro boosts and MC cap have been turned into belt tinkers, so you have to choose between them and the new ones. The bonus stats for all the tinkers have been taken out. Also, the WOTLK +armor tinker has been changed into a cooldown, so you can't stack it with the new +armor cooldown tinker.

The main issue is that Leatherworking is once again a required profession. There is no bracer STA enchant in Cataclysm so LW provides +195 STA as a profession bonus, no other profession even comes close.

The best second place profession is probably either Engineering or Alchemy, at least for the first raid tier. You can socket +416 mastery rating in the engineering epic helm which really helps if you're trying to block cap. The real question is whether Engineering is better than Alchemy. Alchemy has a pretty amazing trinket, however the tank flask in Cata is really weak and that reduces the value of the mixology bonus. It will probably be fairly strong if you use mastery/armor elixirs but you need to ask yourself if you're willing to bring 50 of those to every raid. Alchemy is clearly superior if you can come up with an ilvl359 epic tank helm, if you cannot Engineering looks to be superior. Entering the first raid tier, I would say use Engineering if you're poor, Alchemy if you're rich and can buy an ilvl359 BoE world drop tank helm to displace the engineering one as well as afford tons of armor/mastery elixirs.

For the high-end raider, I don't see any profession combos besides alchemy/leatherworking being competitive, though. These two professions are the only source of profession-based stackable resist buffs in the game, and will be critical if they ever add any resist fights. The WOTLK resistance fur linings are still very powerful, Cataclysm still uses the same resistance formula and we've only gone up five levels.
Xequecal

Postby Dantriges » Tue Nov 09, 2010 8:40 pm

Seems a bit strange that they keep stamina on bracers leatherworling only. I assume they will add one. If we get so much stamina as indicated, it could be that it´s not the most favorite stat to stack anyways.
Dantriges

Postby theckhd » Tue Nov 09, 2010 9:22 pm

I think the doom and gloom about Leatherworking being "required" is a bit overwrought. There is absolutely no way they are going to let Cataclysm go live with one profession having a 195 Stamina advantage over others.

Not to mention that I'm pretty sure it's not a 195 stamina advantage in the first place, it's a ~75-stamina advantage. And only 35 if we can use the old +40 Stamina enchant from Wrath on bracers.

If I were a betting man, I'd say that there's a ~70-75 stamina bracer enchant in the works, either planned or implemented as a raid drop.
"Theck, Bringer of Numbers and Pounding Headaches," courtesy of Grehn|Skipjack.
Simcraft 6.x, Call to Arms 6.0, Talent Spec & Glyph Guide 6.x, Blog: Sacred Duty
theckhd

Postby Malarkey » Tue Nov 09, 2010 10:13 pm

Rasmfrackn wrote:
Malarkey wrote:The Gnomish MC doesn't have any +stam with it anymore either but it does stack with the helm enchant.

I just gained ~500 HPs when I put it on this morning after reading this thread... I think it still works. :)

Well then. I'm positive that I read a blue post saying it was going to be removed so that it could stack with the normal helm enchant but I guess it hasn't gone though yet. Now I have to dig up the post...

Edit: http://www.mmo-champion.com/content/1994-Cataclysm-Beta-Build-13117

Maybe it's just going to be changed for Cata then? :/
Malarkey

Postby Tantrim » Wed Nov 10, 2010 1:47 am

theckhd wrote:I think the doom and gloom about Leatherworking being "required" is a bit overwrought. There is absolutely no way they are going to let Cataclysm go live with one profession having a 195 Stamina advantage over others.

Not to mention that I'm pretty sure it's not a 195 stamina advantage in the first place, it's a ~75-stamina advantage. And only 35 if we can use the old +40 Stamina enchant from Wrath on bracers.

If I were a betting man, I'd say that there's a ~70-75 stamina bracer enchant in the works, either planned or implemented as a raid drop.

What are the new stamina gems again? I know chimera at 101 accourding to wowhead (new dragons eye it seems with a limit of 3) but i dont see any blue solid gems (well all solid gems are ofcourse blue but i meant blue quality) so the best i find on wowhead is solid zephyrite at 45 stamina..

Is there a 60 sta blue quality gem somewhere?
Tantrim

Postby Rhiannon » Wed Nov 10, 2010 1:54 am

Yes, the rare stamina gems are +60. Solid Ocean Sapphire.
Rhiannon

Postby Tantrim » Wed Nov 10, 2010 1:56 am

Bah why doesnt wowheads item search show that but it shows the green and the chimera?
Tantrim

Postby Xequecal » Wed Nov 10, 2010 2:04 am

theckhd wrote:I think the doom and gloom about Leatherworking being "required" is a bit overwrought. There is absolutely no way they are going to let Cataclysm go live with one profession having a 195 Stamina advantage over others.

Well I never said it was a 195 stamina advantage, I just said it gives +195 STA, since there's no STA enchant in Cata you could otherwise put there. JC is the second place profession for STA and it gives 41 * 3 by replacing blue gems for a total of 123. So it's 72 more STA than any other profession. It still beats them all by miles. Remember that on any resist fight an Alchemy/LW tank will have +115 to the relevant resist versus a non Alch/LW tank, that's just immense, due to the exponential returns on resistance you could be looking at 30-50% reduced damage taken.
Xequecal

Postby Tantrim » Wed Nov 10, 2010 4:29 am

Xequecal wrote:Well I never said it was a 195 stamina advantage, I just said it gives +195 STA, since there's no STA enchant in Cata you could otherwise put there. JC is the second place profession for STA and it gives 41 * 3 by replacing blue gems for a total of 123. So it's 72 more STA than any other profession.

Assuming blacksmiths can still add 2 bs only sockets thats 120 sta potentially.. 120 is not far from 123

Actually i think theck got his 70-75 sta potential wrist enchant from that.. it would keep the lw sta advantage on par with the others
Tantrim

Postby Palisade » Wed Nov 10, 2010 7:09 am

Xequecal wrote:

Well I never said it was a 195 stamina advantage, I just said it gives +195 STA, since there's no STA enchant in Cata you could otherwise put there. JC is the second place profession for STA and it gives 41 * 3 by replacing blue gems for a total of 123. So it's 72 more STA than any other profession. It still beats them all by miles. Remember that on any resist fight an Alchemy/LW tank will have +115 to the relevant resist versus a non Alch/LW tank, that's just immense, due to the exponential returns on resistance you could be looking at 30-50% reduced damage taken.

You mean 60 * 3 stamina blue JC only gems. That's 180 stamina, a difference of 15 compared to LW.
Palisade

PreviousNext

Return to Cataclysm