Professions

SPOILERS Discussion about the Cataclysm Beta SPOILERS

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

Professions

Postby Anubelle » Tue Nov 09, 2010 6:06 am

Hi there!

I've got a couple of questions regarding professions in Cataclysm for people who are playing on the beta now, or perhaps others who are much more up to date with beta changes than I am.

1) If you compare Engineering to JC/Enchanting/BS/LW, how much of a stamina potential difference is there? It's my understanding that that there's a new Cogwheel socket for Engineering that lets you put base stats or something. I'm mostly asking this to get some perspective on what I'll have to sacrifice in terms of tanking stats to have access to rockets boots and other Engineering perks.

2) Are people planning to respec one of their professions to LW to take advantage of the LW-only stamina enchant, seeing as there's no other stamina enchant on bracers for now.

3) I couldn't find any updated versions of the LW-only resistance enchants, but are there even any Heroic bosses where resistance stacking seems to make sense?

Thanks!
Anubelle

Re: Professions

Postby Rasmfrackn » Tue Nov 09, 2010 10:35 am

I can answer part of #1. Even on live now, engineering tinkers that are "on use" things no longer occupy the same "enchant slot". You can put rocket boots on something AND any enchant you want. You can put a parachute on your cloak AND any enchant you want.

I was just told a few days ago, and I've now put tuskar's vitality on the same boots that have always have nitro boosts. At least I've got some of my PoJ speed back now.

My own profession question is if we have enough information to let me compare smithing to jewelcrafting in terms of usefulness. I've already transitioned inscription over to an alt since it's pretty pointless, so now I'm looking to replace it with something. I guess alternately is there anything in inscription that's self-only that's actually worth keeping it on a main for?
Rasmfrackn
Dwarf Paladin
Icecrown Server
Eng/Scribe/Masochist
Rasmfrackn

Postby Flex » Tue Nov 09, 2010 10:41 am

Tanking shoulder enchant? and it seems to make BoP relics.
We live in a society where people born on third base constantly try to steal second, yet we expect people born with two strikes against them to hit a homerun on the first pitch.
Flex

Postby bldavis » Tue Nov 09, 2010 10:46 am

im wondering if the alch vial that makes you the drake is a perment mount once you make it, or is it somehting ill have to make each time i wanna become one......

will link after class

Brekkie:Tanks are like shitty DPS. And healers are like REALLY distracted DPS
Amirya:Why yes, your penis is longer than his because you hit 30k dps in the first 10 seconds. But guess what? That raid boss has a dick bigger than your ego.
Flex:I don't make mistakes. I execute carefully planned strategic group wipes.
Levie:(in /g) It's weird, I have a collar and I dont know where I got it from, Worgen are kinky!
Levie:Drunk Lev goes and does what he pleases just to annoy sober Lev.
Sagara:You see, you need to *spread* the bun before you insert the hot dog.
bldavis

Location: Searching for myself. If i get back before I return, please have me stop and wait for myself.

Postby Flex » Tue Nov 09, 2010 10:47 am

bldavis wrote:im wondering if the alch vial that makes you the drake is a perment mount once you make it, or is it somehting ill have to make each time i wanna become one......

will link after class

It looks to be a learned mount.
We live in a society where people born on third base constantly try to steal second, yet we expect people born with two strikes against them to hit a homerun on the first pitch.
Flex

Postby bldavis » Tue Nov 09, 2010 10:48 am

Flex wrote:
bldavis wrote:im wondering if the alch vial that makes you the drake is a perment mount once you make it, or is it somehting ill have to make each time i wanna become one......

will link after class

It looks to be a learned mount.

thats what i was thinking but the wording is weird

iirc it says transforms yo into this drake
not teaches you to transform into this drake

Amirya:Why yes, your penis is longer than his because you hit 30k dps in the first 10 seconds. But guess what? That raid boss has a dick bigger than your ego.
Levie:(in /g) It's weird, I have a collar and I dont know where I got it from, Worgen are kinky!
bldavis

Location: Searching for myself. If i get back before I return, please have me stop and wait for myself.

Postby Flex » Tue Nov 09, 2010 10:50 am

Alchemy: Vial of the Sands
Reagents:
Pyrium-Laced Crystalline Vial, Sands of Time (8), Truegold (12), Flask of the Winds (8), Flask of Titanic Strength (8), Deepstone Oil (8)
Vial of the Sands
Binds when picked up
Mount
Requires Level 80
Requires Riding (225)
Teaches you how to transform into a dragon, allowing you to fly very fast and carry an ally on your back.
Flex

Postby bldavis » Tue Nov 09, 2010 10:52 am

oh ok, sweet ty finally my demo lock will have a flight form lol :lol:

bldavis

Postby Rasmfrackn » Tue Nov 09, 2010 10:58 am

I mean something that I can't get equivalently from a different profession. Right now all inscription offers is hearth scrolls, and I haven't used one of those in probably a year. When it comes to the bonus stats aspect of professions, smithing and JC are still better since they're actually flexible in case you don't want the single option per role that the other profs give.

Meanwhile, JC offers BoP trinkets with sockets, smithing might offer some BoPs as well but I'm not sure yet. If I had my choice I'd just go JC since it's obviously their favorite profession to give things to, but we don't have a reliable smith in our guild so I thought I might take up that mantle if it wasn't too much of a loss.

So yeah, self-only perks other than the roughly-equivalent-but-still-better-on-BS-and-JC stat boosts.

-- Ironically at the moment it looks like it's actually inscription with the BoP perks in the form of relics. I'm not sure I care about those enough to keep it, since their approach to inscription has thus far allowed people to learn every glyph by standing in the auction house.
Rasmfrackn
Dwarf Paladin
Icecrown Server
Eng/Scribe/Masochist
Rasmfrackn

Postby Digren » Tue Nov 09, 2010 10:58 am

Rasmfrackn wrote:I can answer part of #1. Even on live now, engineering tinkers that are "on use" things no longer occupy the same "enchant slot". You can put rocket boots on something AND any enchant you want. You can put a parachute on your cloak AND any enchant you want.

You can do this for the mind control tinker as well, and you get the tinker's 45 stamina stacked with the stamina from the regular enchant.

I'm still not sure if this is a bug or not, but as of now this compensates for the nerf that the engineering glove tinker took. (The glove armor tinker does NOT stack with the regular armor tinker, but the glove tinker does stack with the rocket launcher.)
Digren

Postby Braundo » Tue Nov 09, 2010 11:10 am

Rasmfrackn wrote:If I had my choice I'd just go JC since it's obviously their favorite profession to give things to

I'm definitely going to stick with JC for the forseeable future. Its BoP trinkets have always been immensely useful at the start of each expansion, skillups are easy and inexpensive, and your services will always be in demand by absolutely every player. The perks (JC gems as well as the aforementioned BoP trinkets) are competitive and useful for any class/spec as well.

While it might currently seem that Leatherworking has an edge because of the Stamina wrist enchant, who's to say that they won't add a regular Stamina wrist enchant to balance that out? I just wouldn't personally be too hasty to unlearn and completely relevel a profession because of the way things stand today -- things can change at a moment's notice, doubly so since we're still in beta.
Braundo
Maintankadonor

Postby Flex » Tue Nov 09, 2010 11:12 am

Rasmfrackn wrote:I mean something that I can't get equivalently from a different profession.

Like BoP relics?

Meanwhile, JC offers BoP trinkets with sockets

Unless I am missing something the Cata JC trinkets only huge benefit over other easily obtained trinkets is that you can use them at level 81.
Flex

Postby Malthrax » Tue Nov 09, 2010 11:43 am

Digren wrote:... the glove tinker does stack with the rocket launcher.)

wait... I can do engineering +armor and engineering rawrketlawlcher on the same pair of gloves????

SWEET!!!!!!
Malthrax

Postby Palisade » Tue Nov 09, 2010 11:56 am

I've been given thought to dropping BS in favor of engineering myself. But I'm waiting until much closer to Cata release.
Palisade

Postby twinkfist » Tue Nov 09, 2010 12:34 pm

blacksmithing hasn't been fantastic since they took away some of the perks that made blacksmithing at least worth taking. like the armorsmith or weaponsmith features.

it was nice being able to waste my time gathering mats to make both stormherald and the lionheart executioner...and then changing specs weekly depending on what weapon i wanted to use that week.

now....meh...i've put so much time and effort into the profession that even though it's kind of useless...i still won't get rid of it...plus mining is relaxing.
twinkfist

Next

Return to Cataclysm