Remove Advertisements

PTR Build 13245

SPOILERS Discussion about the Cataclysm Beta SPOILERS

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

Re: PTR Build 13245

Postby Yelena » Thu Nov 04, 2010 6:12 pm

theckhd wrote:Interesting change, but it probably makes sense. Still, in a WoG build you'd take 2/2 anyhow. I was taking 1/2 in my "balanced but mostly threat" build just to keep the Holy Shield uptime, which doesn't change. I'm not sure that this adjustment really accomplishes anything.

It depends on how much one uses WoG in their day to day business. Overall, nothing changes. If you were intending to use GbtL for the overheal shield, you were putting two points into the talent anyway.
Valleri - Frostwolf
Yelena

Postby Xenorun » Thu Nov 04, 2010 6:14 pm

*phew*

I gotta stop trusting those damn MMO tooltips >:(

Anyways, obligatory "Hi" message. LOOONG time lurker on these forums. Big thanks to Theck and others for all the help you've silently given me over the past 2 years. The information I've found here has been invaluable.

Recent thanks to Towlliee for your Beta testing information. I'm using your videos for our upcoming 10 man guilds progression.
Xenorun

Postby Lieris » Thu Nov 04, 2010 6:15 pm

Oh Boub...

I don't really understand why they tampered with it but whatever.
Lieris
Maintankadonor

Postby Sober » Thu Nov 04, 2010 6:26 pm

Maybe Blizzard is now trolling dataminers ...
Sober

Postby Yelena » Thu Nov 04, 2010 6:31 pm

Lieris wrote:I don't really understand why they tampered with it but whatever.

If one is planning to only occasionally use WoG, and doesn't care about the overheal-shield, then a single point is fine as that provides the Holy Shield interaction. Those who were interested in the overheal-shield were putting two points into the talent anyway. That's the logic behind it. It also allows them to get away from a multi-point talent design which does 3 things, but provides two of those at (effectively) full power with only a single point invested. In essence, the first rank of GbtL was overbudgeted.
Valleri - Frostwolf
Yelena

Postby Fridmarr » Thu Nov 04, 2010 9:19 pm

Yelena wrote:
Lieris wrote:The prot tree is so overwhelming and this nerf just makes it worse. If SotT is really becoming 1 point then I struggle to find 31 points that are good.

Which then gives you a "choice", which was one of the design goals of the new trees to begin with. Truthfully, none of the talents in the trees are "bad", you have a choice as to which you want to take to meet your needs.

No, that was not at all the intent of choice. The design to allow for choice was to eliminate so many of the mandatory talents (that were generally passive) so you could choose between interesting talents. Of course that last part is a bit subjective...

Flex wrote:But the world revolves around Paladins.

Yeah I can't imagine how the conversation on a tanking forum dedicated to pallys, actually centers on pallys. Besides, you've been a warrior for long enough to know better than to suggest something that dumb. Your trolling is wearing extremely thin.
Fridmarr
Global Mod

Postby steadypal » Thu Nov 04, 2010 9:38 pm

Yelena wrote:As usual, datamine errors:

Ghostcrawler wrote:Please be careful forming opinions based on data-mining.

We changed rank 1 of Guarded by the Light to provide the Holy Shield functionality and buff Word of Glory a little bit. Rank 2 provides the overheal shield functionality and buffs Word of Glory a bit more.

http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/threa ... 0547&sid=1

so reading between the lines, they did nothing to the talent lol, got everybody worried for nothin... heh
steadypal

Postby Neptuno » Thu Nov 04, 2010 10:04 pm

with the reduction in how much WoG does and how much the talent increases it, im not even sure the 1st point was over budgeted, but yeah it does seem like the hype was for nothing. maybe if blizzard would publish every patch change, datamining wouldn't be needed to find it all.
Neptuno

Postby Flex » Thu Nov 04, 2010 10:17 pm

Fridmarr wrote:

Yeah I can't imagine how the conversation on a tanking forum dedicated to pallys, actually centers on pallys. Besides, you've been a warrior for long enough to know better than to suggest something that dumb. Your trolling is wearing extremely thin.

The warrior I don't play?

Mavfin's post was far more informative than anything else posted previously here since it brought context to potential tank healing changes.
We live in a society where people born on third base constantly try to steal second, yet we expect people born with two strikes against them to hit a homerun on the first pitch.
Flex

Postby Fridmarr » Thu Nov 04, 2010 10:25 pm

Flex wrote:
Fridmarr wrote:

The warrior I don't play?

Mavfin's post was far more informative than anything else posted previously here since it brought context to potential tank healing changes.

Why on earth would you have to be playing a warrior now to understand that?

I'm not concerned with Mavfin's post, just your comment that I quoted. This isn't something that is up for debate. If you have an issue with my response, I or any other moderator will gladly discuss it through PM's. This thread is not appropriate for such a discussion.
Fridmarr
Global Mod

Postby Flex » Thu Nov 04, 2010 10:35 pm

Content Moderated. Again this is not up for discussion here.
Fridmarr

I'd still like to know what you meant with the warrior comment and how it relates to anything.
Last edited by Flex on Fri Nov 05, 2010 7:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
We live in a society where people born on third base constantly try to steal second, yet we expect people born with two strikes against them to hit a homerun on the first pitch.
Flex

Postby Sonic » Thu Nov 04, 2010 10:42 pm

Neptuno wrote:with the reduction in how much WoG does and how much the talent increases it, im not even sure the 1st point was over budgeted, but yeah it does seem like the hype was for nothing. maybe if blizzard would publish every patch change, datamining wouldn't be needed to find it all.

This is a problem they've had since launch. They pretty much refuse to share their "vision" for the class. Or any other for that matter. It causes untold frustrations and headbutting since it feels like community feedback makes little to no differance at times. And when something random happens to a skill/talent we had no problem with, it causes stuff like this.

A general explanation of what/how they want each class to do would go along way in helping both sides. Instead we rely on the data-miners to figure stuff out and then react to it.

On topic. It's probably a pvpish nerf I bet. Back to back procs with EG would get a bubble up easy and could be abused for 1 point. You could then grab DG or something keeping a strict 31 point build in prot.
Sonic

Postby Neptuno » Fri Nov 05, 2010 12:03 am

well, i think the PotI was focused more on ret. i have it at 80 and the only way i die is stun locks. i build holy power so fast that i can spam wog over and over often with hand of light procs as i continue to auto attack and its win on the health meter. of course whenever i start to get swarmed im stunned anyway, but thats the only way they could get me without CC. without PotI, i don't live near as long... but i could see it still being useful in arenas for ret with selfless healer to make the most of that talent.

as for EG or GbtL, I don't seriously expect to see many prot pallys in arenas... yes dazing shield is annoying as fuck and catches the person really well (btw, how about holy power for daze/disorient/slow from PoJ?), but they really don't do much damage when you ignore them and prevent vengeance from building as you kill their teammate...
Neptuno

Postby Darielle » Fri Nov 05, 2010 6:18 am

People need to stop reading MMO-Champ and immediately getting up in arms.
Darielle

Postby Grehn|Skipjack » Fri Nov 05, 2010 7:10 am

Darielle wrote:People need to stop getting up in arms.

Fixed.
The Seeker.
Grehn|Skipjack
Maintankadonor

PreviousNext

Return to Cataclysm