All things /script related

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, _Chloe

Re: Post Your Interface [[4.x]]

Postby Jaysal » Sun Oct 31, 2010 7:39 pm

This Interface was designed to:

Be Clean
As few addons as possible
maximize empty screen space
Keep your eyes focused on your toon and its surroundings.

I used:

Dominos (Custom Action Bars)
Aptus Aura Frames (Custom Aura Frames)
Clique (Assign actions to clicking Unit Frames)
Combo Points Redux (Displays Holy Power Stacks and Seals of Truth Stacks)
Shadow Unit Frames (Unit Frames)
Simple Raid Target Icons (Double Click Target Marking)
Omen (Threat Meter)
cVengeance (AP Gained from Vengeance)

The Sacred Duty and Holy Shield Indicators are Using a Whitelist bar in Aptus Aura Frames. That area is empty when neither buff is active.

The HotR button is a left click CS right click HotR... Almost all these buttons have L.click R.click Shift.click funtionality.

Macro I use for most of the buttons on the right hand side:
/cast [modifier:shift] Divine Light; [button:2] Holy Light; Flash of Light
Jaysal

Postby towelliee » Sun Oct 31, 2010 11:34 pm

Updated UI mix Lui and some of my addons

towelliee

Postby Epimer » Mon Nov 01, 2010 5:52 am

Jaysal wrote:Be Clean

How do you tell what your own health is?
Epimer

Postby dmok » Mon Nov 01, 2010 9:09 am

towelliee wrote:Updated UI mix Lui and some of my addons

I've seen many people who put their raid frames in the bottom-right corner of the screen ... and yet have the default anchor in the top-right section of it there. I have a question surrounding that:

do you have issues when displaying pets in the frames? Or do you just not display pets and make sure all the unit frames scale properly for a 25person raid?

Additionally, how do you size things for say a 40man raid (AV or Wintergrasp) .. or even a 25man raid with a few subs in the raid itself?

I too am working on editing the now-4.0 friendly LUI to suit my needs, but this is one of the things currently holding me back from finalizing it.
There ain't no pirate like a Mead Hall Pirate

Mead Hall Pirates - The Scryers US
Dmor: 80 Prot Paladin | Dmok: 80 MM Hunter | Dmos: 80 Disc Priest | Dmoz: 80 Unholy DK
dmok

Postby Jaysal » Mon Nov 01, 2010 8:50 pm

Epimer wrote:

How do you tell what your own health is?

You use this macro to hide/show blizzard default unit frames.

/run CompactPartyFrame:Show()

/run CompactPartyFrame:Hide()

Screen shot with blizz frames visible in solo. http://cl.ly/34Lk
Jaysal

Postby Epimer » Tue Nov 02, 2010 5:03 am

Jaysal wrote:You use this macro to hide/show blizzard default unit frames.

My point was that your own health (along with debuffs on self) is possibly the most crucial information you need as a tank, for reactive use of cooldowns etc. Having it all the way up in the top left of the screen is one of the major criticisms levelled at the default UI, so designing a UI which doesn't feature that information prominently anywhere (far right is no more visible than the default position, in my opinion) seems very odd to me. I'd also struggle without a good Target of Target unit frame, either.

I like the concept, I like a lot of the features and I like the general aesthetics, but it just seems odd to me to have a unit frame addon all set up and customised (your target frame) but to omit something as vital as a clear display of your own health.
Epimer

Postby Xcercs » Tue Nov 02, 2010 1:06 pm

Khael wrote:Edited TukUI package with DBM Recount and Omen, the entire thing takes up around 4.8mb so very lightweight

Idling in dalaran

ICC Raid

~Khael

any chance of uploading the files for that UI looks pretty sweet
Xcercs

Postby Treck » Tue Nov 02, 2010 3:18 pm

I dont feel the UI even mets those requirements.
As pointed out your health/debuffs are nowhere to be seen (maybe debuffs are close to the buffs, but they are still to far away to be eye-catching imo.
Not to mention your putting a lot of crap hiding your environment instead of making it visible.
Treck

Postby Drobent » Tue Nov 02, 2010 8:16 pm

Here's "mine", found it today and... just fell in love

Thx Dajova!
http://www.tukui.org/v2/forums/topic.php?id=4104
Drobent

Postby Jaysal » Tue Nov 02, 2010 8:46 pm

Epimer wrote:
Jaysal wrote:You use this macro to hide/show blizzard default unit frames.

My point was that your own health (along with debuffs on self) is possibly the most crucial information you need as a tank, for reactive use of cooldowns etc. Having it all the way up in the top left of the screen is one of the major criticisms levelled at the default UI, so designing a UI which doesn't feature that information prominently anywhere (far right is no more visible than the default position, in my opinion) seems very odd to me. I'd also struggle without a good Target of Target unit frame, either.

I like the concept, I like a lot of the features and I like the general aesthetics, but it just seems odd to me to have a unit frame addon all set up and customised (your target frame) but to omit something as vital as a clear display of your own health.

I have a good target of target.. it displays above the target.
Debuffs display directly above my toon.... I CURRENTLY DON'T HAVE DEBUFFS
My health is displayed directly to the right of my toon.
Reactive cooldowns??? Most of the time all the info you need to hit a cooldown is things like: Knowing the fight. Watching boss cast bars etc...

Using your healthbar to decide when to use reactive cooldowns is a piss poor idea. You should be basing this off of fight mechanics not the chance that your health drops down a bit.

If you look at your healthbar to know when to hit cooldowns you're already dead..... (not to mention that my healthbar is displayed in 2 places... target of target AND the raid frames pictured here http://cl.ly/34Lk

Things a tank should care about: TPS, Boss Positioning, Mechanics (including but not limited to: taunting, moving the boss not standing in fire and hitting defensive cooldowns during game designer intended times of high damage).

I care very little about my HP, as long as I'm doing the above correctly the only people that should care about my HP are the healers, And I trust my healers. Sorry I give prominence to screen space not some delusion that giving a lot of prominence to my HP bar is necessary.

If you read my labels in the SS youd know all this before criticizing.. :roll:
Last edited by Jaysal on Tue Nov 02, 2010 11:59 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Jaysal

Postby Jaysal » Tue Nov 02, 2010 8:49 pm

Treck wrote:

I dont feel the UI even mets those requirements.
As pointed out your health/debuffs are nowhere to be seen (maybe debuffs are close to the buffs, but they are still to far away to be eye-catching imo.
Not to mention your putting a lot of crap hiding your environment instead of making it visible.

http://cl.ly/34Lk

Did you look at this screenshot??

I have WAYYY less stuff hiding my environment than most peoples ui's in this thread....
if you saw my original screenshot.. theres clearly a label saying debuffs are right above my toons head...
Jaysal

Postby Jaysal » Tue Nov 02, 2010 11:00 pm

Updated:

You can clearly see debuffs.. they were always there i just intentionally gave myself a debuff to show placement.

You can clearly see where my health bar is in 2 places target of target and raid frames.

I reworked the buttons a bit to declutter a bit more.
Jaysal

Postby Treck » Tue Nov 02, 2010 11:58 pm

So your watching grid to see your current HP?
And your targets target bar is way to small to use as an effective healthbar for yourself, as a tank id much rather have a small target bar, and a big "self" bar.
I said: "your health/debuffs are nowhere to be seen (maybe debuffs are close to the buffs, but they are still to far away to be eye-catching imo."
Meaning they were nowhere to be seen, now we see them.

You also have WAYYY MORE stuff hiding your effective environment than most. Most people have crap hiding the sides of the screen, not the middle of it.
Treck

Postby Jaysal » Wed Nov 03, 2010 12:13 am

Treck wrote:So your watching grid to see your current HP?
And your targets target bar is way to small to use as an effective healthbar for yourself, as a tank id much rather have a small target bar, and a big "self" bar.
I said: "your health/debuffs are nowhere to be seen (maybe debuffs are close to the buffs, but they are still to far away to be eye-catching imo."
Meaning they were nowhere to be seen, now we see them.

You also have WAYYY MORE stuff hiding your effective environment than most. Most people have crap hiding the sides of the screen, not the middle of it.

Yah bud. In the very first screenshot it clearly says "debuffs display here"

Also... see my last statement I care very little about my own health bar.

I care about

TPS, Fight Mechanics : including knowing when to hit defensive cooldowns.. Not because of a healthbar because the game designers included times of high damage when your supposed to hit defensive cd's.

I trust my healers. Maybe your healers are bad but I trust mine, And I know when to hit cd's.

If you feel like that last SS still hides a lot of the screen you need to get your eyes checked.

Jaysal

Postby Epimer » Wed Nov 03, 2010 3:54 am

Jaysal wrote:If you read my labels in the SS youd know all this before criticizing.. :roll:

Your original screenshots didn't have a target of target frame visible or a place for one labelled. I'm not psychic!

The "reactive use of cooldowns" bit was mostly with things like Lay on Hands or Healthstones (or, these days, Word of Glory) in mind, rather than Ardent Defender or Divine Protection. I think leaving your own health bar entirely in the hands of healers is a bit selfish; unexpected things will happen, and it's nigh-impossible to time effective LoH/Healthstone/WoG usage without knowing your own health at all times.

Anyway, I do like the debuff display. Is it filtered?

I'd be interested to see an in-raid (at least in-combat) screenshot. Uncluttered UIs are easy to set up in Dalaran, it's the addition of raid frames/boss mods/nameplates etc. that start to clutter things up.
Epimer

PreviousNext

Return to Add-ons, UI, and Macros