Remove Advertisements

Leveling Prot in 4.0.1

How to get started.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, lythac

Leveling Prot in 4.0.1

Postby Dechion » Tue Nov 02, 2010 6:20 am

Hello folks,

For a good long time I have been a lurker here (and other places) as I read up on how other classes played to improve my own performance. I have been playing and raiding as both a Hunter and a Resto Druid for quite a while.

Then came THE PATCH.

4.0.1 dropped in my lap and basicly broke both of my main characters. I tried for a month or so to get back into them an couldn't so I decided to create a new character.

I guess I figure if I need to learn everything from the ground up I might as well start at the beginning. After all, Blizz is giving us tons of new shinies in a month or so.

Anyhow, as you might have guessed, I am here because I rolled a Pally. I had one in the early days of the dungeon finder and made it to the mid thirties I think before raiding called me back from the land of alt.

I rolled a pair of them actually, one on each side. After a bit of playing around I found I really enjoyed leveling as Prot. Avengers Shield is made of win.

Thats where you folks come in. I have these guys sitting at 14 and 15. I am just getting ready to start my journey as a Tankadin. I have tanked with my Druid but did not care for the rage mechanic, so I know a bit about the process. I'm worried I know just enough to really screw myself up.

What I wanted to ask is for advice on low to mid level tanking and gearing.

Heirloom wise I do have the chest, shoulders, two haste trinkets, and a battleworn thrash blade with crusader on it. I think everything else is still white drops, other than my badly itemised green cloak.

Hey, It was better than the grey I was wearing. :oops:

Here is a link to the armoury if that helps at all:

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-shee ... nor&n=Dech

Thanks for the help,
Dechion

Http://dechionsplace.wordpress.com/
I'd rather be a failure at something I love than a sucess at something I hate. All things being equal though I would rather be a sucess at something I love.

Http://sitv.wordpress.com/
Dechion

Re: Leveling Prot in 4.0.1

Postby benebarba » Tue Nov 02, 2010 7:56 am

I think the biggest problem I had early on was which abilities to use when, but that's gotten a bit more straight forward with 4.0.1. Now that we have CS at lvl 1 and get AS much earlier, you have some nice abilities for pulls/holding threat (so mash those when they aren't on CD, keep judgement going and taunt as needed). In a few levels, you'll pick up exorcism as an option for pulls, then consecrate and holy wrath for AoE. In the mean time, you may want to try WoG to use up your holy power and generate some AoE threat. Depending on how you spend your talent points, you should have pretty much the same basic rotations you'll be using at 80 by the time you reach the 40s. And you may as well get used to just keeping Righteous Fury up. You may find that there are times that ret aura will help you keep threat (you'll get it at 26), but mostly you'll be using devotion. When you get it, seal of insight can help make up for healers that aren't on the ball - but usually you'll be in righteousness (and later truth) in dungeons.

I think the route of PVP gear is a much better option that it used to be, at least for 5-mans, since you'll be getting crit-immune through the talent sanctuary (and be getting it pretty early on), though if you keep tanking at 80 - you'll want to get some gear with stats you can reforge into mastery (can't reforge resilience). Other than that, pick up the best quest/drop gear you can snag... it'll all be replaced so quickly that it won't much matter.

Other than that, nothing you probably don't know: have fun and stick with it! Be a bit cautious and communicate with your group - those early dungeons can get ugly at times as folks overestimate the groups abilities or are just plain annoying (gogogogogogo guy, I'm lookin at you). I think early pally tanks have a bit more going for them than they used to (I only started after wrath had come out) - so it should be good fun :D
benebarba

Postby Dechion » Tue Nov 02, 2010 8:22 am

Thanks for the advice.

So far I have not actually done any tanking, having just hit 15 last night turning in the notify the king quest at the end of that world event chain.

It looks like what I am looking at so far is pulling with Avengers Shield (after marking... I learned that lesson on my Druid) Then judging my main target on its way in.

Other than that I will be using Crusader Strike and Avengers Shield on cooldown. Well, That and refresing my judgment as required.

I think that pretty much covers all the buttons I own at the moment other than burning my Holy Power on a heal.

Am I missing anything?

*reminds self to make a mouseover taunt macro tonight*
I'd rather be a failure at something I love than a sucess at something I hate. All things being equal though I would rather be a sucess at something I love.

Dechion

Postby Justos » Tue Nov 02, 2010 9:34 am

I actually made my paladin the day 4.0.1 came out, and he's 78 now.

You're already here, so that's one of the more important things I'd tell you, head to maintankadin. Just in case you haven't make sure to read Knaughty's basic tanking thread.

Very early on before you get HotR you really won't have too much in the way of AoE, so keep the packs relatively small, about 5-6 when you pull. Cons does help once you get it, but hammer is by far and away the most helpful spell while leveling.

Once you start going into the 20-30 stretch this is where you really get some stuff that helps with tanking. Ret aura is recommended at lower levels just so you don't have to use the super mana inefficient cons as your only non-3 target AoE. 28 and 29 will see you getting HotR and HW, which will allow you to tank as many mobs as your hp and armor will allow. Drop ret aura and go back to devo, and watch as you top the damage meters in your dungeons for the next 40-45 levels. Pull as many as your healer can keep up with and just keep hammering, as it's damage isn't effected by the number of mobs.

I found that during the 50-56ish stretch the dungeon finder will only put you into either BRD or ST, and both of those get very old, very quickly. What I did at about 55 was head over to western plaguelands and go to either one of the farmsteads or the gravesites right by Chillwind Point and just AoE everything down. With WoG and your HW working as a stun on the undead there should be no problem soloing about 10-15 mobs easily. You're usually more limited by how many are in the area rather then how many you can handle.

In both BC and wrath I alternatively quested and dungeoned, cherry picking the fun/rewarding quests and just dungeoning the rest. I'm doing much the same for Northrend, and overall I'm enjoying the Prot Pally experience. Looking forward to tanking heroics/raid in preparation for cataclysm.

Good luck leveling your pally, hope you had as much fun as I did!

Justos
Justos

Postby Dechion » Tue Nov 02, 2010 9:43 am

Thanks much.

With any luck I should see that 20-30 stretch by the end of the week.

Dechion

Postby benebarba » Tue Nov 02, 2010 9:59 am

yeah, the mid/late fifties get really annoying (Yay. BRD. again...) in the dungeon finder. I too would take the route of questing to pick up some more XP to get you to outland ASAP, unless you have a big desire to see the vanilla content before it gets dragon-nuked (sounds like you probably saw it already though). Luckily the high stam, self healing and AoE you have at that point make questing a breeze (assuming you can get enough mobs in one area and don't have to keep hunting them down).

Before cat hits, it may still be worthwhile to check out sites like wowloot to find quests/bosses that will yield useful upgrades to your non-heirloom slots... though I have to admit some quests are still fun even if the loot isn't that great. And some will be going away, like the Darrowshire questline.

Oh, and don't fall into the trap of the epic questline to get your charger at 40 (still don't think they removed it)... you don't need to do that long questline to get the charger (you get it from your trainer), you'll just get a feat of strength, some XP and possibly annoyed. Thankfully I looked that one up before I tried it :oops:

Edit: the charger questline is (was, not sure if it still is) made available at 60, not 40 like I mention above. That's when you can train your charger.
Last edited by benebarba on Tue Nov 02, 2010 10:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
benebarba

Postby Nikachelle » Tue Nov 02, 2010 10:03 am

benebarba wrote:Oh, and don't fall into the trap of the epic questline to get your charger at 40 (still don't think they removed it)... you don't need to do that long questline to get the charger (you get it from your trainer), you'll just get a feat of strength, some XP and possibly annoyed. Thankfully I looked that one up before I tried it :oops:

:evil:

That is an AWFUL recommendation. If anything, I encourage you to do the paladin charger quest line because it IS epic. It makes you realize just how much work used to have to go into that getting special mount for your class. Just because you can train it easily at the trainer nowadays doesn't mean it's not worth the experience.
Nikachelle
Maintankadonor

Postby benebarba » Tue Nov 02, 2010 10:13 am

Dechion wrote:Am I missing anything?

That's about it. And like Justos said, start with small packs and work your way up. I found starting with 1 or 2 to judge how the group is going to work and to get you comfortable, then building up from there seemed to work well. Later on you'll be dealing with groups of 3-6 pretty regularly (though come Cat, it seems we'll be back down to the smaller end of that). I got complaints until I got comfortable with bigger pulls, but what good is making the DPS happy if you can't keep aggro and wipe as a result?

When you mark, make sure you let folks know what kill order you want before you get going. Some are used to different marks meaning different things. I usually only mark skull for my main target (and people are well tuned to skull killing), or pull out an extra symbol or two when I am doing a more fancy pull. Setting up hotkeys for the marks really makes this fast.
benebarba

Postby benebarba » Tue Nov 02, 2010 10:16 am

Nikachelle wrote:
benebarba wrote:Oh, and don't fall into the trap of the epic questline to get your charger at 40 (still don't think they removed it)... you don't need to do that long questline to get the charger (you get it from your trainer), you'll just get a feat of strength, some XP and possibly annoyed. Thankfully I looked that one up before I tried it :oops:

That is an AWFUL recommendation. If anything, I encourage you to do the paladin charger quest line because it IS epic. It makes you realize just how much work used to have to go into that getting special mount for your class. Just because you can train it easily at the trainer nowadays doesn't mean it's not worth the experience.

meh - to each their own (I did go back and do the darrowshire quests though, just to see the quests). I didn't really relish the thought of grinding for it, especially since I didn't get it til *after* I had trained the charger (YMMV). It sort of breaks the epicness if I grind and grind, spend a bunch more money (when I didn't have a main to supplement my income) and get access to something I already have. There's plenty of epic in other quests that haven't been undone by changed abilities.

(edited to undo edit to wrong post)
Last edited by benebarba on Tue Nov 02, 2010 10:43 am, edited 2 times in total.
benebarba

Postby Palisade » Tue Nov 02, 2010 10:21 am

Nikachelle wrote:

QFT.
This quest chain is awesome, and well worth the XP for the effort, iirc.

One more thing to add, do the random BG's when you get bored of dungeons. Especially if it is the WSG or AB holiday weekends, those are easy XP and will help through them bad leveling spots like the 50's.
Palisade

Postby cerwillis » Tue Nov 02, 2010 1:55 pm

Lately, I have found that running BGs in the 50s is far superior to running dungeons. Half a level in one AV beats the same XP for a full BRD run, in my book. BRD may be better for tanking practice though.

Edit: or I could have just agreed with Palisade.
Mistawillis - Cerwillis - Turbowillis - Evilan
<Silent Resolve> Durotan/SW:TOR Shii-Cho
Miniwillis <PK> SC
cerwillis
Maintankadonor

Postby Dechion » Wed Nov 03, 2010 2:47 am

Well, I can without a doubt say that tanking Ragefire Chasm went well. If anything it was easier than I thought it would be.

Three runs through got me a couple equippable blues and a slightly better handle on what I was doing. That got me to 17.

Next on my aganda? Trying to solo Deadmines.

I started last night, making it to one trash pull short of the second boss. Unfortunately I had to log, so I'll head back in tonight or tomorrow and see how far I really can get.

The Xp from soloing like that was awesome, with one half clear giving me a full level in short order. I think if nothing else I will stay there till I hit 20 and can get a mount.

Dechion

Postby Palisade » Wed Nov 03, 2010 1:02 pm

Dechion wrote:Well, I can without a doubt say that tanking Ragefire Chasm went well. If anything it was easier than I thought it would be.

Three runs through got me a couple equippable blues and a slightly better handle on what I was doing. That got me to 17.

Next on my aganda? Trying to solo Deadmines.

I started last night, making it to one trash pull short of the second boss. Unfortunately I had to log, so I'll head back in tonight or tomorrow and see how far I really can get.

The Xp from soloing like that was awesome, with one half clear giving me a full level in short order. I think if nothing else I will stay there till I hit 20 and can get a mount.

You are seriously soloing VC at level 17 and 18? What gear are you using, is this a twinked out alt or just heirlooms and the gear you got from RFC?
Palisade

Postby Dechion » Wed Nov 03, 2010 3:07 pm

Well, that went well. Better than I hoped for really.

I started over today at the entrance, having just dinged 18 the night before. I do have a bit of an edge in having Heirlooms equipped along with a few AH greens. (armory is in the first post above)

I made it as far as having killed the goblin engineer boss in about an hour and a half. Yes I was moving slowly, but I am trying to learn how to milk my cooldowns. I took it kind of easy.

Anyhow, by the time I finished looting him my bags were full, I had dinged level 20, and I had to take off and go visit my sons science teacher about a project he is working on. Instead of trying to pick it back up from the beginning later I just hearthed out to empty my bags and train.

So, I guess the answer is no. I did not actually solo the entire instance. Given another hour and a portable mailbox I am sure I could have though. In the entire series of attempts I only died once, and only used LoH twice. None of those were on boss fights, it was all when I screwed up and pulled multiple elites along with helpers.

Basicly, when I botched the pull.

Over all it was a ton of fun and an amazing amount of Xp for the time invested.

I think next time I will be trying Stockades at level 20 or 21. :D

Dechion

Postby Palisade » Thu Nov 04, 2010 5:53 am

2 levels in 90 minutes isn't bad. Not sure if it would be comparable to straight questing, but it definitely seems worth the time. It's certainly going to be better than grinding on world mobs.
Palisade

Return to Basic Training & Talents