Deathwing goes burninating!

SPOILERS Discussion about the Cataclysm Beta SPOILERS

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

Re: Deathwing goes burninating!

Postby Sabindeus » Wed Oct 27, 2010 2:38 pm

Chunes wrote:I'm wondering how frustrating it will be to be engaging some badass mob in an epic battle in the elwyn forest when all of a sudden, the sky goes dark and everything gets charred to shit, except said badass mob and the surrounding enemies.

I mean, if this asshole deathwing is going to be bathing the countryside in fire, it stands to reason that he'll be killing indiscriminately. So if these fire attacks kill everything in its wake, I'm all for it. If "hogger" 2.0 is spared death because deathwing cooked my ass at an inopportune time, I'm going to be a little annoyed.

Now this I agree with. All mobs in the area should get torched along with the players.
Turn In, an NPC interaction automator - http://wow.curse.com/downloads/wow-addo ... rn-in.aspx
Sabindeus

Postby Fridmarr » Wed Oct 27, 2010 3:05 pm

katraya wrote:
Fenris wrote:Devilsaur->Fel reaver->Storm giant->Deathwing

Insta-deaths are levelling up too :lol:

Don't forget the damn Sons of Arugal hanging out in Silverpine! Many of a low level horde toon has died to them and I always make sure to kill them while traveling through the forest with a higher level character.

haha, I love how we hold grudges like that. There's a certain undead thing at the Raven Hill Cemetery that I like to visit every now and then.
Fridmarr
Global Mod

Postby rodos » Wed Oct 27, 2010 8:29 pm

Sabindeus wrote:
Chunes wrote:I'm wondering how frustrating it will be to be engaging some badass mob in an epic battle in the elwyn forest when all of a sudden, the sky goes dark and everything gets charred to shit, except said badass mob and the surrounding enemies.

I mean, if this asshole deathwing is going to be bathing the countryside in fire, it stands to reason that he'll be killing indiscriminately. So if these fire attacks kill everything in its wake, I'm all for it. If "hogger" 2.0 is spared death because deathwing cooked my ass at an inopportune time, I'm going to be a little annoyed.

Now this I agree with. All mobs in the area should get torched along with the players.

http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/thread.html?topicId=27387876560&sid=1&pageNo=8#143

Zarhym wrote:Because his flames literally kill any creature, critter, NPC, or player in Deathwing's path, there are a few places we're not having him go for gameplay reasons. The large majority of the zones on the two continents are fair game though. :)

In other words, the burnination is indiscriminate. Not even Hogger is safe.
rodos

Postby Neptuno » Wed Oct 27, 2010 8:53 pm

I hope it melts Iceblocks and goes through bubbles
Neptuno

Postby Drewflyboy » Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:22 pm

Neptuno wrote:I hope it melts Iceblocks and goes through bubbles

The real question is if he'll melt the ice stone.
Drewflyboy

Postby rodos » Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:44 pm

I've got a feeling it will be 10000000 damage per second for 20 seconds or something similar.

And now we know why bubble-hearth was finally removed after all these years!

I wonder if burnination causes durability loss. If it does, everyone will end up having a "get naked" macro.
rodos

Postby Neptuno » Thu Oct 28, 2010 1:54 am

rodos wrote:

I've got a feeling it will be 10000000 damage per second for 20 seconds or something similar.

And now we know why bubble-hearth was finally removed after all these years!

I wonder if burnination causes durability loss. If it does, everyone will end up having a "get naked" macro.

http://blue.mmo-champion.com/t/27387876560/deathwing-is-coming/ wrote: The unfortunate victims of his malice will receive a rare Feat of Strength... as well as a repair bill and corpse run.
Neptuno

Postby Noradin » Thu Oct 28, 2010 2:04 am

rodos wrote:
Sabindeus wrote:

http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/thread.html?topicId=27387876560&sid=1&pageNo=8#143

Zarhym wrote:Because his flames literally kill any creature, critter, NPC, or player in Deathwing's path, there are a few places we're not having him go for gameplay reasons. The large majority of the zones on the two continents are fair game though. :)

In other words, the burnination is indiscriminate. Not even Hogger is safe.

Most of the places he won't go will be 1m x 1m and move along with elite questmobs ;)
ImageImage
Noradin

Postby Sabindeus » Thu Oct 28, 2010 8:21 am

yessssss
Turn In, an NPC interaction automator - http://wow.curse.com/downloads/wow-addo ... rn-in.aspx
Sabindeus

Postby Vallia » Mon Nov 01, 2010 7:37 am

from beta:

I've been in zones where the sky went dark and I saw Deathwing but didn't die, twice. Finally this:

unfortunately it took me a minute to find my screenshot key (darn new Mac) so the sky effect and some of the burning is gone.

quote from a guildmate:
I love how well they know their playerbase:

"We should have the dragon just randomly gib toons."
"But then they'll bitch a bunch."
"Not if we give them an ACHIEVEMENT."
Vallia

Postby Shoju » Mon Nov 01, 2010 11:07 am

The post that talks about as long as he is free to roam has me wondering, and thinking. My current thought process is:

My random thoughts
Prior to the final raid tier of Cataclysm, we are going to have a questline. It will involve at least two dragon aspects; Ysera, and Alexstrasza. I wouldn't necessarily rule out remnants of the blue, or the bronze dragonflight totally. The questline will have you aiding them in capturing Deathwing. There is no way that in his current state that a raid of even 25 players will have a chance in defeating him. It just isn't possible.

He is burninating whole zones.

The only solutions are;

1.) He will not be tanked by a player, but instead by Alexstrasza. This would infuriate tanks, and as such is not a very viable idea for the encounter. Could you imagine if your tanks were all relegated to add duty for the fight? How in the world would that make them feel? My head would explode in shear frustration.

2.) He will be weakened. How do you weaken a dragon aspect that is burninating whole zones, has fused his body with adamantium plates to keep himself together, and stolen a giant robots lower jaw?

Well, I bet we are going to need something from Hyjal, and the Firelands raid, and something from Uldum (Titan relic ZOMG), and probably something from the underwater elements as well.

We will have to go after these and raid for them, group quest for them, and probably a heroic or two or 10. We will be creating the DWB9000 (a cookie to the person who first gets the B right :) ), the ultimate in Crazy Dragon Aspect Self Defense. We will then engage deathwing in a large quest setting (possibly a raid quest that takes place outdoors). Probably mounted on drakes, or with a lot of assistance from drakes. We will weaken, and imprison Deathwing.

This could and possibly will lead to a feat of strength, possibly a title, and if they are super cool, a mount reward. Everyone who is able to raid even a little will have a chance to do this. It seems like it is being built up as a "Bang a Gong 2.0" type of situation. I wouldn't be surprised if it was given the same treatment.

Something is then going to happen. Old Gods, Or their minions, or a re-re-resurected family reunion in an effort to bust him out. These will serve as the bosses in the final raid, leading us to a meeting with the dragon sisters, and them telling us that deathwing cannot be saved, and he can no longer be imprisoned. They will either need our help, or ask us to do the job because they can't bear to kill another brother.

At this point, we will engage Deathwing. There wont be a strict enrage timer. There wont be a need for one. You will have to defeat deathwing before he is able to gain enough strength to slaughter your raid. This will be a sliding scale that they can adjust so that everyone has a chance to kill him. They like that model, they really do, and I don't blame them. It is good for business, it is good for the players, and it doesn't diminish the success of the truly top notch guilds. You will defeat Deathwing, and there will be legendaries. Oh how there will be legendaries. They may only be purple in color, but think back upon the things that Deathwing has done in his time. I doubt you will see tier loot from Deathwing. You will probably see weapons, though the idea that he just drops "scales" or "interesting pieces of stuff" that you could then use to get things crafted would be far cooler, it isn't going to happen. There will probably be a ton of weapons, amazing super awesome totally cool weapons. And the encounter, will be nothing like we have ever seen. He is huge, and we wont be fighting this bad boy in humanoid form... at least not the whole fight.

Those are my rants, and thoughts and ideas. I will be copying this, so that I can check back on how close my thoughts were now compared to what we will actually get.
Shoju

Postby Flex » Mon Nov 01, 2010 11:12 am

every raid boss with world changing power we have defeated we have had outside assistance/they were in a weakened state. Deathwing will be no different.

My money is on a Lich Bolvar army of undead.
We live in a society where people born on third base constantly try to steal second, yet we expect people born with two strikes against them to hit a homerun on the first pitch.
Flex

Postby Malthrax » Mon Nov 01, 2010 11:16 am

I think its going to wind up as "yet another dragon fight", where an immensely powerful, majestic, and super-intelligent Creation of the Titans is somehow coerced into focusing the entirety of his attention on the tiny furry bear-man bouncing up and down in front of his huge, castle-crushing jaws, while two dozen others slowly whittle him down from a distance.

Lord Victor Nefarius was the only "boss" to get it right: Kill the one in the dress.

Every other so-called Boss was/is a complete buffoon in that regard, even Arthas. Unless "tanking" Deathwing involves cleaning the plaque from between the dragon's teeth while being either (a) flown up in to the sky and dropped to your death, or (b) crushed, chewed, and swallowed, its going to be a complete joke of a fight.
Malthrax

Postby Flex » Mon Nov 01, 2010 11:19 am

Malthrax wrote:Every other so-called Boss was/is a complete buffoon in that regard, even Arthas

Arthas was doing a Xanatos Gambit.
We live in a society where people born on third base constantly try to steal second, yet we expect people born with two strikes against them to hit a homerun on the first pitch.
Flex

Postby KysenMurrin » Mon Nov 01, 2010 11:35 am

Regarding how he will be weakened, I believe that at Blizzcon the devs referred to the need for the dragon aspects to get together again to corner him, with Thrall potentially standing in for the Earth aspect.
Temporarily playing WoW again.
Donnan - Nangun - Kysen - Kysen - Mardun - Timkins

Mostly-Book Blog.
KysenMurrin

PreviousNext

Return to Cataclysm