Solo Magtheridon possible for a paladin?

Strats / Info that doesn't fit in a specific instance

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, guillex

Re: Solo Magtheridon possible for a paladin?

Postby Orich » Sun Oct 31, 2010 7:56 pm

Just did this today for the first time ...

Kept my tanking gear on with the following changes :

Weapon : Wrathful Gladiator's Slicer w/ mongoose & expertise/hit gem in it
Trinkets : Unidentifiable Organ (non heroic) + Sindy Fang (heroic)

Resist Aura, Might, Drums' Kings, Fort scroll, Hit food, Seal of Light, GNERDS ... and apparently I forgot to drink the lesser flask of resistance, sooo :-p

Tanked him in the door's corner ... used Sindy trinket for blast waves and WoG on 3HP... if >80% HP, i'd try to line up ShoR with Sacred Duty for ~22k crits.

Use 4PC divine plea during earthquakes where HW is on CD ... g2g
Orich

Postby masterpoobaa » Sun Feb 20, 2011 11:22 pm

Update for L85.

Mags is stupidly easy now at 85.
Gear i333/i346 blues from dungeons and badges.
150k health unbuffed.
Self healing prot spec.
I did it with RF, SoT, BoM & Drums of Kings. Nothing else.

Get rid of all the adds outside the main room first.
Started battle, pulled Mag to north wall and tanked him here.
Used SoT for pretty much the whole battle, tried Healing seal just for tricks.

Health stayed at 50%-75% most of the time.
You can try using dmg reduction cooldowns when mags does his aoe if you like.
Vengance was hovering at about 40-45% for most of the fight.

All in all a very easy 500g profit.
Expect to see him nurfed sometime soon.
Ellifain @ Khaz'Goroth does not approve of torture, save where there's experience/rep/loot involved.
masterpoobaa

Location: Brisbane, Australia, Earth, Sol, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Universe.

Postby Triadx » Mon Feb 21, 2011 1:15 am

Hmm, last time I tried this, the encounter just reset when I got to 1%
Triadx

Postby masterpoobaa » Mon Feb 21, 2011 4:18 pm

Hmmm. Where were you tanking him?
First time i did it back at level 80 i tried at the main entrance, and he despawned too.
Try the northern wall, make sure you are close to it, but don't remain on the ledge if you happen to get knocked back onto it.
I usually have to move around a bit to stop infernals from hitting me from behind.
Ellifain @ Khaz'Goroth does not approve of torture, save where there's experience/rep/loot involved.
masterpoobaa

Location: Brisbane, Australia, Earth, Sol, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Universe.

Postby Belloc » Tue Feb 22, 2011 3:28 pm

Triadx wrote:Hmm, last time I tried this, the encounter just reset when I got to 1%

The fight can reset at random points throughout the fight. I believe it is related to his earthquake in some way -- I'm sure it's been discussed in this thread. Anyway, the fact that it happened at 1% was just bad luck.
Belloc

Postby masterpoobaa » Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:25 pm

Agreed.
Avoid walls/entrances/raised ground when he earthquakes.
masterpoobaa

Postby ginga-uk » Mon Mar 07, 2011 2:03 am

Hmm...

Everything I've tried other than my normal spot he resets at some point. I imagine it's becasue i've been knocked onto raised ground, but can't confirm that.

My usual spot to tank him is to start the fight right by the door, then back myself into the corner between the door, and the wall just to the right. I must have downed him about 8 times there without him despawning once. I *might* just have been lucky there of course....

As others have said it's very easy at lvl 85. At least at lvl 80 you had to balance your damage vs self healing or risk the enrage timer. At lvl 85 you can just SoT, and WoG the whole fight and finish in about 10 mins (+2 for the time before he becomes active)
ginga-uk

Postby Leuthas » Mon Mar 07, 2011 4:29 am

I've noticed over the past several months of killing Magtheridon that, so long as you remain within his target circle on the ground, he will not despawn. I'm sure it has something to do with his hitbox, but I use the target circle as a reference. Doing this, I haven't seen him despawn since my first few attempts, back mid 3.3.3.

I must admit that I kill him as Ret now - seems faster. I just stand there and spam Divine Storm and watch the massive heals roll in while the massive damage goes out.
Why can't a Warrior Thunderclap while silenced?

You're actually clapping your thighs together with a force so powerful that you generate a sonic boom and the resulting electrostatic energy. Unfortunately, when you're silenced, you can't generate the audible force from your thunder thighs.

Leuthas
Maintankadonor

Postby culhag » Wed Mar 09, 2011 4:42 am

ginga-uk wrote:Everything I've tried other than my normal spot he resets at some point. I imagine it's becasue i've been knocked onto raised ground, but can't confirm that.

I've only killed him three times, but I've tanked him all over the place without problem, including being bounced far from him and on raised ground.
The only despawn I got was when I somehow got far from him during his fire nova. Might be a coincidence, but it was a quite specific circumstance.
culhag
Maintankadonor

Previous

Return to General Strats