Soloing in 4.01

Strats / Info that doesn't fit in a specific instance

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, guillex

Re: Soloing in 4.01

Postby Anubisknight » Mon Oct 25, 2010 12:02 pm

Nikachelle wrote:
Anubisknight wrote:I tried to solo UK heroic yesterday, but wasn't able to get past the first boss. How do you deal with the Ice tomb?

Human racial?

Tried that. I'll try to put on some ret gear to try and finish him off faster I guess.
Anubisknight

Postby Nikachelle » Mon Oct 25, 2010 12:05 pm

Anubisknight wrote:
Nikachelle wrote:
Anubisknight wrote:I tried to solo UK heroic yesterday, but wasn't able to get past the first boss. How do you deal with the Ice tomb?

Human racial?

Tried that. I'll try to put on some ret gear to try and finish him off faster I guess.

What do you mean "tried that"? Do you mean, "it didn't work"? Because I can assure you it does.

Or did you mean "I tried it, it worked, but I didn't kill him quickly enough and I got tombed again."?
Nikachelle
Maintankadonor

Postby culhag » Mon Oct 25, 2010 6:21 pm

Illuminance wrote:Edit: Downed skadi in H-UP in ilvl 251 tank gear, prot spec with seal of insight/blessing of kings up. Trickiest pull was the pull before the first boss with the two casters; otherwise just blowing cooldowns when I needed to did the trick. Skadi himself hurts quite a bit, but you can always run off and cast heals while he's whirlwinding around.

So after reading this I thought What the hell, I must be able to do it to.
And I did !
But damn was it painful. I passed the first corridor of trash without dying, but then I struggled and died a few times against the "hunter" 4-packs.
Then on Skadi's gauntlet I advanced very slowly, and I very nearly died after he jumped in. I was only saved by a timely streak of Eternal Glory procs. Then I just had to slowly grind him down.

So yeah, it's doable, but I don't think I'll farm him just yet. Just too painful.
culhag
Maintankadonor

Postby Anubisknight » Tue Oct 26, 2010 7:09 am

Nikachelle wrote:Or did you mean "I tried it, it worked, but I didn't kill him quickly enough and I got tombed again."?

This.
Anubisknight

Postby Sarutankah » Wed Oct 27, 2010 7:28 pm

Soloing is pretty great right now, I haven't bothered with Heroics too much but full clear of ZA is pretty good fun (after I learned to move out of consecration... fail).

I see some changes on Beta that will have some impact I think, but I'm not sure if the SoR change works out as a nerf? I think it does although overall it seems to move us away from the nuke which is kinda crap when you have to use combo points.

Otherwise WOG change is a bit stink... but maintaining 2.4k hps while doing 3.2kdps (previous standing in consecration fail) is pretty damn cheesey.
Sarutankah

Postby rodos » Wed Oct 27, 2010 8:22 pm

Magnusharkov wrote:One thing I'm still getting a feel for is what gear to wear, I was in full ~i264 tank gear with stam trinkets. However I'm tempted to go for a much more aggressive setup as I'm hoping that the increased damage taken will be at least partially balanced out by more self healing due to higher AP and other stats.

I think the value of stam stacking for solo play has been greatly reduced, since SoI heals scale with AP/SP and are not a percentage of health. I guess it might be marginally useful if you're planning on strategic use of LoH (i.e. keeping up a very slightly health-negative rotation and using LoH to double the fight length), or if the boss has a nasty burst mechanic (or can eat most of your HP during a stun/fear/silence).

Riding the Ardent Defender 35% boundary is gone too.
rodos

Postby Zalaria » Thu Oct 28, 2010 9:50 am

rodos wrote:
Magnusharkov wrote:Riding the Ardent Defender 35% boundary is gone too.

I think that makes me the saddest... I remember levelling to 70 while staying right at 25% with the original version of AD!
Dovie'andi se tovya sagain - It's time to roll the dice
Zalaria
Maintankadonor

Postby Sarutankah » Thu Oct 28, 2010 4:31 pm

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-shee ... Sarutankah

I solo in that gear for the most part, nalorakk and Hexlord are the only ones I wear stam for but that's just a safety kinda thing.

Previously on the ptr I had reforged and regemmed all my tanking gear for Crit/Str but tbh even average ret gear with a shield and slow weapon works damn well.

I've also been mucking around with chucking an actual heal and a flash will sneak in between swing timers for most bosses, not advisable really but something to do if you are getting bored :D
Sarutankah

Postby latchee » Fri Oct 29, 2010 1:12 am

Sarutankah wrote:http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Frostmourne&cn=Sarutankah

I solo in that gear for the most part, nalorakk and Hexlord are the only ones I wear stam for but that's just a safety kinda thing.

Previously on the ptr I had reforged and regemmed all my tanking gear for Crit/Str but tbh even average ret gear with a shield and slow weapon works damn well.

I've also been mucking around with chucking an actual heal and a flash will sneak in between swing timers for most bosses, not advisable really but something to do if you are getting bored :D

Why don't you take judgement of the just and vindication ? those are really good talent for soloing, aren't they ?

Here is my soloing spec => http://wowtal.com/#k=pbUgEy.a6q.paladin.3o3nkB

I solo in full ret gear (avg 264) with a 2.6 weapon and a shield ^^
latchee

Postby Sarutankah » Fri Oct 29, 2010 2:59 pm

I would take those if I was doing anything where I thought I might die but I only solo to run my 60/70 twinks and I don't recall ever dying in ZG/AQ20. Since patch The only time I died in ZA is when I just gave up on hexlord because I wasn't fully aware of the mechanics therefore missing the holy light cast straight after spirit bolts (hey.. I'm slow :) )
Sarutankah

Postby Neptuno » Tue Nov 02, 2010 8:46 pm

Zalaria wrote:
rodos wrote:
Magnusharkov wrote:Riding the Ardent Defender 35% boundary is gone too.

I think that makes me the saddest... I remember levelling to 70 while staying right at 25% with the original version of AD!

i remember soloing a feral druid/MM hunter in season 5 2s with JoL+SoW (before plea stayed on) staying right at AD threshold... i think they were mad lol
Neptuno

Postby Ryyu » Wed Nov 10, 2010 2:28 am

kara is still doable, last guy is more annoying now due to no more infi block and SWP in p3, but still easy.
Ryyu

Postby wingzeroismine » Sat Nov 13, 2010 9:06 pm

Hello everyone, I've recently come back to the game after a couple month break and have been trying to get back into soloing things. I used to solo MC fairly often and was able to do the first two bosses though I needed lay on hands for each one, and then Gehennas royally owned me (my best attempt was his two adds down and him below 50%). Any pointers for that fight? I've always had some trouble with him but in the past there were so many ways to stay alive. I figure I'm probably also playing badly with the new changes when I have to use lay on hands for fights like luci and mag...
wingzeroismine

Postby mclem » Fri Nov 19, 2010 7:03 am

I soloed Gehennas for the first time last week, actually; he's the toughest boss in there now by some margin, thanks to him completely ruining our self-healing.

My approach for the kill was to swap from my playing-it-safe approach of going all-out survival and instead swap to a more DPS-led approach (Gutbuster weapon, Seal of Truth instead of Insight). I assume you're doing the obvious and bubbling late (dropping the curse) then throwing two Divine Lights on yourself? That can get you back up to near full health and effectively give you a second health pool to work with.

I think a small change of strategy to go entirely self-healing *until* the first curse hits, then DPS, then self-healing again post-bubble just to maximise the time where the heals are available.

I focussed entirely on Gehennas himself, the adds didn't feel troublesome (the stuns were a bit scary, but infrequent).

Edit: Looking at the log (http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-6 ... 762&e=1901), it strikes me that Resistance Aura would have made life significantly easier; that shadowbolt is nasty.
mclem

Postby Belloc » Fri Nov 19, 2010 4:53 pm

I can't help but wonder if paladins will be able to do this at 85 :P

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=atATvXfxwPU
Belloc

PreviousNext

Return to General Strats