Soloing in 4.01

Strats / Info that doesn't fit in a specific instance

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, guillex

Soloing in 4.01

Postby Magnusharkov » Fri Oct 15, 2010 5:32 am

I quite enjoy going back and soloing old content and I'm intrigued to find out how 4.01 has effected this.

From what I can tell the general outcome of the patch is:
1)AOE damage is down a lot
2)Single target dps has gone up, but...
3)Damage taken has gone way up (no full blocks/sacred shield). However:
4)Healing while tanking potential is way up.

I've picked a full self healing build at the moment (2/2 gbtl,2/2 EG, 3/3 poti) and I've been finding that the potential self healing available is collosal. If you do a 1xCS, 1xWoG heal rotation then your self healing is 8-10k every 2nd GCD which is pretty huge, plus there's seal of insight procs. However damage done obviously drops hugely while doing this.

We now have an interesting situation where we can pretty easily adjust our rotation based on the amount of healing/dps we need. It definitely feels like soloing old stuf is doable but requires a lot of judgement and balancing.

Last night I only had 30 mins or so so I went in to ZA and soloed the eagle boss before going into Magtheridon to try him. I got him down to 90% in a minute or so before he despawned and I couldn't be bothered to try again, I'll have to go back at some pointe when I have a good block of time to give it a go. I was hoping I might be able to actually kill the summoners with AS interrupts and high single target dps but it turned out to be too hard to stop all the healing.

One thing I'm still getting a feel for is what gear to wear, I was in full ~i264 tank gear with stam trinkets. However I'm tempted to go for a much more aggressive setup as I'm hoping that the increased damage taken will be at least partially balanced out by more self healing due to higher AP and other stats. I'll see how it goes though.

How's everyone else finding this?
Magnusharkov

Re: Soloing in 4.01

Postby Magnusharkov » Fri Oct 15, 2010 2:34 pm

Tonight I successfully soloed ZA and Magtheridon and it was a lot of fun. ZA is relatively simple and I did most of it in full ret gear as prot spec, generally speaking I didnt take a huge amount of damage but I had to be on my toes with heals on lynx and I went full tank gear for bear. Hex Lord was SO much easier than pre patch due to AS spam for interrupts, Zul'Jin phase 3 was a huge amount easier too.

Magtheridon is tricky, I went in there in full ret gear for speed. I started off using SoV but ended up pretty much solely casting Hotr/1xwog repeat which wasn't too speedy. I then swapped to seal of insight and was able to spend a lot more time doing real damage. It took me nearly 18 mins I think but I got him in the end, it's possible tank gear may have been faster as I could have spent less resources healing but I'll have to try another time to compare.
Magnusharkov

Postby Arcand » Tue Oct 19, 2010 6:27 pm

I just beat down Garr without any trouble, threw a few WoGs
to stay topped off. No harder than it used to be.

Started on Geddon, pulled him back into the hallway and disconnected.
Got back in when I was under 10% health, hit LoH, disconnected again
a few seconds later. Got back in just in time to expire.

Ignite Mana is going to be annoying as hell. It lasts five minutes
and probably means I'll have to run Seal of Insight just so I can
Crusader Strike enough to stay alive. Might even have to pick up
that stupid 'cheaper CS' glyph...bleah.
Arcand

Postby Arcand » Tue Oct 19, 2010 7:45 pm

Follow-up: got Geddon down.

Autoattacking with Insight and judging on cooldown is about exactly enough to let you spam Crusader Strike and Judgement, even with Ignite Mana on.

You know when you're coming from Garr's room, the corridor bends left, and right at the
bend there's a sloped area on the left wall where you can stand and greatly reduce the
fall damage from Living Bomb?

Every time I disconnected I was standing on that*. When I stood on the flat floor I
never disconnected again - just had to let him dribble me up and down that hallway and
wore him down. Took a longish time but it was very stable except for one point where
I threw a few hammers and flattened out my mana, took a little while to 'catch' the
point where I could throw a judgement and get back to equilibrium.

* Edit: What I said there was inaccurate. Every time I disconnected I had been standing on that, and was in the process of bouncing off the ceiling after a Living Bomb detonation. This never, ever happened to me before 4.01 and happened every single time after 4.01 until I switched to standing on the tunnel floor.
Last edited by Arcand on Mon Nov 01, 2010 9:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Arcand

Postby TerrorForce » Wed Oct 20, 2010 1:55 am

Full MC, ZG, AQ20 is cake. Sulfuron takes FOREVER tho!

TBC heroics, Magtheridon, ZA, the first couple of bosses in Kara to.

Several WotLK heroics (think UK/UP, AN, CoT etc)
TerrorForce

Postby Leuthas » Thu Oct 21, 2010 10:51 am

I'm doing Sulfuron and Domo as Ret now... it goes much faster. In fact, I'm doing all but Golemagg and Garr as Ret. I have a lot of trouble with Gehennas again though... I can only do it as Ret, but have only managed it once.

As for others - Doomwalker is pretty easy, still.

I can't seem to kill Skeram anymore.. which is a pain.
Why can't a Warrior Thunderclap while silenced?

You're actually clapping your thighs together with a force so powerful that you generate a sonic boom and the resulting electrostatic energy. Unfortunately, when you're silenced, you can't generate the audible force from your thunder thighs.

Leuthas
Maintankadonor

Postby Illuminance » Thu Oct 21, 2010 6:42 pm

Skeram is actually pretty easy in full prot, blessing of kings for minimal nature resistance, and seal of insight up.
Illuminance

Postby Belloc » Fri Oct 22, 2010 8:38 am

Illuminance wrote:Skeram is actually pretty easy in full prot, blessing of kings for minimal nature resistance, and seal of insight up.

What about our resistance aura? It gives nature resistance now.
Belloc

Postby Zalaria » Fri Oct 22, 2010 9:05 am

Belloc wrote:
Illuminance wrote:Skeram is actually pretty easy in full prot, blessing of kings for minimal nature resistance, and seal of insight up.

Resistance Aura only gives Fire, Frost, and Shadow.
Dovie'andi se tovya sagain - It's time to roll the dice
Zalaria
Maintankadonor

Postby Belloc » Fri Oct 22, 2010 10:12 am

Zalaria wrote:
Belloc wrote:

Resistance Aura only gives Fire, Frost, and Shadow.

That doesn't seem right...
Oh well, I'll double check it later, but I'll just have to accept that for now :P
Belloc

Postby culhag » Sat Oct 23, 2010 4:40 pm

I wanted to try Skadi, but I'm getting destroyed by the first trash packs...
culhag
Maintankadonor

Postby Illuminance » Sat Oct 23, 2010 9:51 pm

Has anyone tried Fankriss yet? I made it through battleguard sartura, but got chain-stunned on fankriss as prot gear/prot spec, ended up dying to that :(

I'll try going through UP/skadi and see how far I can get

Edit: Downed skadi in H-UP in ilvl 251 tank gear, prot spec with seal of insight/blessing of kings up. Trickiest pull was the pull before the first boss with the two casters; otherwise just blowing cooldowns when I needed to did the trick. Skadi himself hurts quite a bit, but you can always run off and cast heals while he's whirlwinding around.
Illuminance

Postby KysenMurrin » Sun Oct 24, 2010 2:49 am

Yeah, the two-caster pull was always the worst part in UP. I haven't done it since the patch, nice to hear it's still doable with the loss of Cleanse (the early trash has a magic debuff that does 5k shadow when it ends), Sacred Shield, and full blocks.
Temporarily playing WoW again.
Donnan - Nangun - Kysen - Kysen - Mardun - Timkins

Mostly-Book Blog.
KysenMurrin

Postby Anubisknight » Mon Oct 25, 2010 7:12 am

I tried to solo UK heroic yesterday, but wasn't able to get past the first boss. How do you deal with the Ice tomb?
Anubisknight

Postby Nikachelle » Mon Oct 25, 2010 7:14 am

Anubisknight wrote:I tried to solo UK heroic yesterday, but wasn't able to get past the first boss. How do you deal with the Ice tomb?

Human racial?
Nikachelle
Maintankadonor

Next

Return to General Strats