Remove Advertisements

Spell Hit

Strats / Info that doesn't fit in a specific instance

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, guillex

Spell Hit

Postby Celcees » Tue Jun 12, 2007 2:30 pm

I am a relatively well geared paladin on Draka. I have tanked most every boss in KZ and done some tanking in Gruul's lair and mag's. atm i am looking it over 350 spell damage (with pots totem and oils can get over 500), but i am finding some boss lvl mobs are having somewhat higher resist to my spells than i would like. My mob info had nightbane showing a 28% holy resist to my spell after a few kills (though the number has slowly gone down to about 25% over the last few encounter). I am thinking about including spell hit into my gear here and there and i am wondering if its worth trying to build in some spell hit into my gear and if so how much. I am just wondering if i should just stack stam or if the spell hit is worth it in the end.
Celcees

Postby Lore » Tue Jun 12, 2007 2:40 pm

Spell hit is just as important for Paladin tanks as melee hit is for Warrior tanks. The problem is just finding places to work it in =\
Lore
Global Mod

Postby Alixander » Tue Jun 12, 2007 2:42 pm

The biggest problem with getting spell hit is there is little in the way of spell hit that has other prominent tanking stats, such as Stamina or defensive stats, and there is almost no plate with it (if any at all...). At most you might find a ring, a necklace, a cape or a trinket that will still give you some spell hit while gaining some Stamina, but make sure you maintain uncrushability. Also, don't give up too much spell damage. That's the major reason it's not used too often, b/c you usually have to give up too much to get enough of it to make a difference.

And for some reason those numbers are off for the spell resists... spell to hit chance against bosses/73 mobs should only be around 17% resist rate. See: http://forums.subcreation.net/viewtopic ... 4589#p4589 for more details.
Alixander

Postby Dunkan » Tue Jun 12, 2007 5:47 pm

Grrr. Reboot lost my post.

http://www.wowhead.com/?items=2&filter= ... rs=1;crv=1

Is a list of swords with +Spell Hit. I use the Greatsword over the Continuum, as I value 150HP less than a 1.1% increased chance to hit for aggro reasons.

Snip from wowwiki:
======
+1% spell hit chance increases the base chance for a spell to land against a target by 1%
If your target is the same level as you, a spell has a base chance to hit of 96%.
If the target is +1 level compared to you: 95%
+2 levels: 94%
+3 levels: 83% if the target is a mob, 87% if the target is a player.
+4 levels: mob: 72% player: 80%
+5 levels: mob: 61% player: 73%

======

Cheers

Dunk
Khaz'goroth Oceanic
Dunkan

Postby Trevize » Tue Jun 12, 2007 6:37 pm

The exalted caster ring from the Cenerian Enclave, Ashyen's Gift has 30 stam, 21 spell hit and 23 Spell Dmg. If you have enough gear (def/dodge/etc) then that is a good item slot to work it into.

Or just get the sword off of Archimonde :twisted:
Trevize

Postby PsiVen » Tue Jun 12, 2007 11:57 pm

Lore wrote:Spell hit is just as important for Paladin tanks as melee hit is for Warrior tanks. The problem is just finding places to work it in =\

I disagree. Warriors are much more dependent than Paladins on +hit stats. If our gear started to regularly include spell and melee hit ratings, we'd have even more itemization problems.
Gladiator Psiven, Retired Tankadin
WoW-sober since March 2014
Longtime addict of Space - Glory Through Conquest
PsiVen

Postby Daeren » Wed Jun 13, 2007 5:02 am

Their problem is that taunt uses spell hit, so they're pretty screwed over in this regard.
Daeren

Return to General Strats