All things Final Fantasy

Invisusira's playground

Moderators: Aergis, Invisusira

Re: All things Final Fantasy

Postby Sabindeus » Fri Oct 22, 2010 10:52 pm

Zonzede wrote:
Sabindeus wrote:FF7 sucked

FF9 was awesome


Dude.

Not. Cool.


bwahhahah
Image
Turn In, an NPC interaction automator - http://wow.curse.com/downloads/wow-addo ... rn-in.aspx
User avatar
Sabindeus
Moderator
 
Posts: 10476
Joined: Mon May 14, 2007 9:24 am

Re: All things Final Fantasy

Postby KysenMurrin » Sat Oct 23, 2010 6:47 am

My first FF was FFVIII, which I enjoyed a lot. I then played through FFIX, FFX, and FFX-2 as soon as they were released; I think FFIX was my favourite of them. FFVIII and FFIX I've played through a couple times each, and defeated all of the optional bosses*.

After that, I kept buying games, got all the PS1 versions of FF1, 2, 4-7, and got FFXII, but I kind of lost the attention span required and haven't actually managed to complete any of them, despite multiple tries.


*The hardest boss in FFIX was fun to work up to, but I did it before I defeated the game for the first time, and stacking a team of characters with 9,999 damage moves completely trivialised the final dungeon and bosses. (Thinking bout it, FFX was even worse for that, because I never did all the building up (never got the last few summons) but still managed to faceroll everything inside Sin because Auron was hitting so hard.)
Temporarily playing WoW again.
Donnan - Nangun - Kysen - Kysen - Mardun - Timkins

Mostly-Book Blog.
KysenMurrin
 
Posts: 6984
Joined: Thu Jun 26, 2008 6:37 am
Location: UK

Re: All things Final Fantasy

Postby Brand » Sat Oct 23, 2010 11:20 am

Sabindeus wrote:it's time for Sabin's Controversy

FF7 sucked

FF9 was awesome



flame on


Honestly, I've seen quite a few people that thought VII sucked. I don't agree with it, but it actually seems to be a pretty definitive split. Almost as if there's no middle ground. People generally seem to like it or hate it. Then again, the whole series could be just as polarizing.

But the second comment, I agree with IX was all kind of underrated awesomeness. Zidane was a very stock character, but he didn't feel all too played out and actually a nice breath of fresh air after Cloud and Squall (Squall especially) had sucked a bit of the fun out of being the Main protagonist. Tidus wasn't bad, and in many ways I still liked better as a more upbeat and semi-naive lead than some of the others. And with Vaan, it seemed like they wanted to take Zidane's spirit of adventure with the worst qualities of Tidus (who yes, could be a whiner, but I still felt was a bit o' awesome) to the Nth degree. Which is depressing, because Basch is XII's resident badass. And who they originally wanted in that main spot. Damn them.

So this sparked a curiosity of mine. How important is the Main Character to your enjoyment of the game? I think for me, it's very much dependant on the Main character. If I can't relate to the guy/gal or even find them likeable, I tend to not like it as much. Part of the reason I'm not a huge fan of VI is that after the first half, there really doesn't seem to be a lead character at all.

I'd say that as far as mains go I'd say that Cecil, Cloud, Zidane, and Tidus are my faves (in that order). Which comes to no surprise that my "Top Four" would be (in order) IV, VII, IX, and X.
"I wonder if there's beer on the sun." - Zap Rowsdower
User avatar
Brand
 
Posts: 269
Joined: Wed Feb 27, 2008 9:05 am

Re: All things Final Fantasy

Postby Fivelives » Sat Oct 23, 2010 2:08 pm

VII was awesome for its time, but it really hasn't held up well. I played them in order (of the US releases).

1 - groundbreaking and absolutely amazing. It was also Nintendo Hard.
4 - I lost an entire summer to playing this. I played it over and over and over again. The twins dying still gets to me, even now when I replay it.
6 - Kefka. Kefka, Kefka, Kefka. I loved everything about this game, and Kefka is still the absolute BEST. VILLAIN. EVER.
7 - I was enamored with this game, but after Kefka's example of what a villain should be, I had a REALLY hard time getting through it.
8 - Squall, how do I hate thee? He really did ruin the game for me. I didn't care for this one at all.
9 - I'd been kind of losing interest in the series after Sephiroth and Squall, but Vivi kind of saved the game for me. Still haven't finished it, though.
10 - Worst movie I've ever played. It was way too easy, especially with the turn list, so I could figure out who was attacking soonest. Once I was sufficiently leveled, the game became pointless. I stopped playing the main quest after getting the airship and just wandered around randomly potting things. I forgot what I was supposed to be doing and ended up deleting the save.
X-2 - I rented it, but didn't get past the first dungeon before throwing it down in disgust.
11 - I never played it. I downloaded the free trial, but between the serpentine subscription process and the absolutely horrible PC interface, I gave up after like 20 minutes.
12 - Hated absolutely everything about it. I ended up setting the tactics so I could autoplay it, left it on for a week, and was ridiculously over-leveled for everything. Any FF game that can play itself just simply doesn't interest me.
13 - Suffers from the same "can play itself" problem that 12 does.

Now for the Japanese releases that got re-released on the PS:

2 - Bwuh? I totally don't get this game. I consider it unplayable.
3 - Still haven't seen this one, it didn't make the PSX release. Pretty sure it might have been released as Final Fantasy: Mystic Quest. I enjoyed the hell out of that game, despite the shitty reviews - it was like a Zelda/FF hybrid.
5 - Job classes! Loved those, but totally unforgettable story. I just remember the guy finding a meteor at the beginning and a guy with amnesia.

Overall, I'd say that 4 and 6 are easily my favorites.
- I'm not Jesus, but I can turn water into Kool-Aid.
- A Sergeant in motion outranks an officer who doesn't know what the hell is going on.
- A demolitions specialist at a flat run outranks everybody.
User avatar
Fivelives
 
Posts: 3110
Joined: Sat Feb 16, 2008 7:55 pm

Re: All things Final Fantasy

Postby Eaglestrike » Sat Oct 23, 2010 5:47 pm

13 - Suffers from the same "can play itself" problem that 12 does.


You never did anything hard in that game. 13 by far is the FF that requires the most user setup and input (aside from potentially Tactics, but then Tactics was easy as fuck so that's not really an argument when it comes to strategy)

I beat FF5/7/8/9/X using very little more than Attack and Cure. I can't just go in there with Com/rav/med and win many, if any, boss fights.

There's nothing wrong with a game that "can" "play itself", because the only times they really need to play itself is for general trash and easy fights. For any difficult fight you should have been switching between your characters on XII. For any difficult fight you have to setup your paradigms specifically for it and control the character in the most crucial position or you're likely to die a whole lot. It's this exact principle that has made WoW the most popular MMO in the world. I don't quite understand why FF12/13 get criticism for doing the same damn thing.
Eaglestrike
 
Posts: 423
Joined: Tue May 13, 2008 3:29 am

Re: All things Final Fantasy

Postby Fivelives » Sat Oct 23, 2010 5:53 pm

Com/Sen/Med. Profit.
- I'm not Jesus, but I can turn water into Kool-Aid.
- A Sergeant in motion outranks an officer who doesn't know what the hell is going on.
- A demolitions specialist at a flat run outranks everybody.
User avatar
Fivelives
 
Posts: 3110
Joined: Sat Feb 16, 2008 7:55 pm

Re: All things Final Fantasy

Postby Eaglestrike » Sat Oct 23, 2010 6:17 pm

Fivelives wrote:Com/Sen/Med. Profit.


If you want 15-30min battles with almost the same amount of risk in some situations that you will lose in other situation because of enrage timers. There are bosses that do less damage to you if you do more damage to it. The stagger mechanic greatly rewards a more offensive approach. It's a nice risk vs reward system.

Tell me, what battle system in a previous FF had you make any choices about what to do?

And btw, there are lots of fights you'd lose with Com/Sen/Med and not just because of a strict Doom timer. Mobs that summon adds will summon so many they kill your Sen, or your Sen cannot keep threat on them all. Using just one paradigm will not do so well through the entire game.
Eaglestrike
 
Posts: 423
Joined: Tue May 13, 2008 3:29 am

Re: All things Final Fantasy

Postby Fivelives » Sat Oct 23, 2010 7:01 pm

I actually did fine up until the Brick Wall of Difficulty hit me in chapter 11 with com/rav/rav, actually. Then I switched to Com/Sen/Med or Rav/Sen/Med and got so tremendously bored with the game I don't think I got past Vanille's guardian fight. Couldn't be arsed to go back and grind out some debuffer levels on her and Fang. Know why?

The game absolutely bored me. Like, I would rather go to the dentist or sleep with my ex bored. Hell, I'd rather sleep with my ex WHILE at the dentist than play FFXIII anymore.
- I'm not Jesus, but I can turn water into Kool-Aid.
- A Sergeant in motion outranks an officer who doesn't know what the hell is going on.
- A demolitions specialist at a flat run outranks everybody.
User avatar
Fivelives
 
Posts: 3110
Joined: Sat Feb 16, 2008 7:55 pm

Re: All things Final Fantasy

Postby Eaglestrike » Sat Oct 23, 2010 7:12 pm

Fivelives wrote:I actually did fine up until the Brick Wall of Difficulty hit me in chapter 11 with com/rav/rav, actually. Then I switched to Com/Sen/Med or Rav/Sen/Med and got so tremendously bored with the game I don't think I got past Vanille's guardian fight. Couldn't be arsed to go back and grind out some debuffer levels on her and Fang. Know why?

The game absolutely bored me. Like, I would rather go to the dentist or sleep with my ex bored. Hell, I'd rather sleep with my ex WHILE at the dentist than play FFXIII anymore.


I'm not sure how you got through the gameplay of any other FF game. They're all easy and take far less thought or strategy.

I'm going to go ahead and guess that you didn't 5-star too many boss battles. Of course, if you didn't care to, then can't do much about that. But that was another feature that would let you know how well you're playing.
Eaglestrike
 
Posts: 423
Joined: Tue May 13, 2008 3:29 am

Re: All things Final Fantasy

Postby Fivelives » Sat Oct 23, 2010 7:21 pm

If the game didn't interest me, why would I bother with 5-starring boss battles?
- I'm not Jesus, but I can turn water into Kool-Aid.
- A Sergeant in motion outranks an officer who doesn't know what the hell is going on.
- A demolitions specialist at a flat run outranks everybody.
User avatar
Fivelives
 
Posts: 3110
Joined: Sat Feb 16, 2008 7:55 pm

Re: All things Final Fantasy

Postby Eaglestrike » Sat Oct 23, 2010 7:22 pm

Fivelives wrote:If the game didn't interest me, why would I bother with 5-starring boss battles?


A sense of challenge and/or accomplishment? Something fairly common in people who enjoy RPG's...
Eaglestrike
 
Posts: 423
Joined: Tue May 13, 2008 3:29 am

Re: All things Final Fantasy

Postby Brutalicus » Sat Oct 23, 2010 7:35 pm

I was C/R/C with Lightning + Hope + Fang most of the game, because something about having Lightning being a caster bothered me. Loved the combat system, on the whole. Waaaaay more strategic than any RPG combat system thus far (except maybe FFXII), and it still managed to be fast-paced and engaging to me.

I disagree with most criticism on FFXIII, but there are a couple things I thought could have drastically improved the game, or at least the English translations of it.

- Get rid of the retarded JRPG names. Especially Hope. Who the hell names their child Hope? JRPG parents, that's who.
- Better VA for Fang and Vanille. Vanille goes without saying, but I was so sick of the Australian accent from Mass Effect 2's Miranda that it ruined Fang for me.
- Overleveling. Here's one JRPG staple FFXIII was missing. There's no way to break the game early on if you know just what to do! I don't know about anyone else, but oddly-specific gamebreakers really add replay value to an RPG for me.
Brutalicus, Garona (Horde) Tankadin
User avatar
Brutalicus
 
Posts: 451
Joined: Wed Dec 03, 2008 3:29 pm

Re: All things Final Fantasy

Postby Teranoid » Sat Oct 23, 2010 10:20 pm

in before 45 pages of "you don't understand the merits of FFXIII despite the fact that other people share your same opinion so you're wrong anyway."
User avatar
Teranoid
 
Posts: 2156
Joined: Thu Jul 30, 2009 8:56 pm

Re: All things Final Fantasy

Postby Eaglestrike » Sat Oct 23, 2010 11:34 pm

Teranoid wrote:in before 45 pages of "you don't understand the merits of FFXIII despite the fact that other people share your same opinion so you're wrong anyway."


People can have different opinions, so long as I can see where they come from. People complaining about FFXIII being linear (all FF games are linear, welcome to the party) and there being no towns with shops and such (because seeing the same generic NPC with progressively better weapons/armor adds SO MUCH to the gaming experience) and then the "Auto-battle does it all for you" complaint like was made here, when I almost always just hit X or O (whichever was accept in that version of the game) for the majority of RPG's I play.

I could see complaining about not being able to MOVE the characters during combat, that was a major annoyance of mine, but you can work around that a bit. The game takes FOREVER to get going, and I was ok with that, but I know a bunch of people that aren't huge on FF games were severely thrown off by it. But it is really nice to be able to skip everything for playthroughs, I can get through the game very quickly now when I go to do it over again (which I've done many times, more than I've done for just about every FF except VII my first, and I'll probably surpass that eventually).

XIII is the first FF game that makes me want to fully complete it, which is saying quite a bit because I normally hate pointless grinding. But I still have about 8 missions to go and some gil farming. I might quit before I finish the gil farming, but that's still more than I've done of the extra content in other FF's.
Eaglestrike
 
Posts: 423
Joined: Tue May 13, 2008 3:29 am

Re: All things Final Fantasy

Postby Sabindeus » Sat Oct 23, 2010 11:49 pm

Fivelives wrote:9 - I'd been kind of losing interest in the series after Sephiroth and Squall, but Vivi kind of saved the game for me. Still haven't finished it, though.


This is a fucking travesty. FF9 had the best ending of: 1) Any FF game ever. 2) Possibly any game ever, I'm on the fence about this one.
Image
Turn In, an NPC interaction automator - http://wow.curse.com/downloads/wow-addo ... rn-in.aspx
User avatar
Sabindeus
Moderator
 
Posts: 10476
Joined: Mon May 14, 2007 9:24 am

PreviousNext

Return to Arkham Asylum

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

Who is online

In total there is 1 user online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 1 guest (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
Most users ever online was 380 on Tue Oct 14, 2008 6:28 pm

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest