Remove Advertisements

All things Final Fantasy

Invisusira's playground

Moderators: Aergis, Invisusira

Re: All things Final Fantasy

Postby Nikachelle » Fri Oct 22, 2010 6:50 am

Growing up I played the ones on the NES and SNES consoles. I missed the boat on FFVII and only went back to play it after I'd played FFX. Bad idea because the graphical quality absolutely destroyed the game for me. Yeah, it was advanced for it's time, but I played it way too late to enjoy it. I found the graphics so distracting from the storyline that I didn't even finish it, despite having gotten to the last CD disc. Bit of a shame, but what can you do.

That being said, I'm fairly confident in saying that FFX is my absolute favourite video game of all time. Absolutely phenomenal game play, storyline, graphics and endearing characters. I've gone back through and played it various times. I even enjoyed the spin off, X-2, which, despite horrible reviews, I actually enjoyed. It was lighter, fluffier, but it still had an overarching storyline that I enjoyed.

I liked XII for what it was. Less of a love story, more military driven and a different take on the normal RPG gaming type. I didn't mind the change in game play, and adapted to it pretty quickly. While I tend to prefer more romance in my FF games, I was "okay" enough with the characters that I wasn't overly bothered. The visuals were, as expected, quite pretty for a game that was from the last generation of PS2 games.

And then I played XIII and I can't finish the fucking thing. I've tried to play it twice now. I got it the day of release and attempted it... it didn't suck me in like all of the other FF games have done. Six months later, determined to actually give it a solid go, I tried it again. 15 hours in and I was still not liking it. I don't like the combat system. I don't like not controlling my other characters. While XII started to veer away from all character control, it wasn't as intrusive as this one felt. I'm disappointed to say that I doubt I will ever finish XIII and it's made me want to go back and play X for the enth time just because I enjoyed it so much and FFXIII has let me down too much.
Nikachelle
Maintankadonor

Postby Zonzede » Fri Oct 22, 2010 6:59 am

Dorvan wrote:I haven't played a FF since IX, and from what I've seen of them I don't have a pressing desire to change that. I like my turn-based combat :p

Dragon Warrior/Quest?
If so, /brofist
Zonzede

Postby Passionario » Fri Oct 22, 2010 7:10 am

There is a saying: "Your first Final Fantasy game will always be the best one".

Mine was X-2. So yeah.
If you are not the flame, you're the fuel.
Passionario

Postby Lightbeard » Fri Oct 22, 2010 7:13 am

I never could find a store that had FInal Fantasy 7 for my PS1
Lightbeard

Postby Nikachelle » Fri Oct 22, 2010 7:19 am

Lightbeard wrote:I never could find a store that had FInal Fantasy 7 for my PS1

I bought a special edition of the game that was re-released and playable on my PS2. This was like... 7 years ago though. And the guy at the store told me this was the last bunch the company was ever producing, so unless you buy it used, I doubt it'll be easy to find.
Nikachelle
Maintankadonor

Postby Candiru » Fri Oct 22, 2010 8:11 am

Final Fantasy 6 is the best one. I think the first one I played was Mystic Quest on the gameboy. (Final Fantasy Adventure? in the states.) That's a good Zelda-style game crossed with final fantasy leveling up, spells, chocobos etc.

I haven't played any past 7 though, so maybe some of the new ones are better. 6 really was very good though.
Candiru

Postby Sabindeus » Fri Oct 22, 2010 8:22 am

Nikachelle wrote:
Lightbeard wrote:I never could find a store that had FInal Fantasy 7 for my PS1

I bought a special edition of the game that was re-released and playable on my PS2. This was like... 7 years ago though. And the guy at the store told me this was the last bunch the company was ever producing, so unless you buy it used, I doubt it'll be easy to find.

If you have a PSP/PS3 you can download it on PSN I am pretty sure...
Turn In, an NPC interaction automator - http://wow.curse.com/downloads/wow-addo ... rn-in.aspx
Sabindeus

Postby trycare » Fri Oct 22, 2010 8:47 am

Passionario wrote:There is a saying: "Your first Final Fantasy game will always be the best one".

Mine was X-2. So yeah.

Hehe, this doesn’t hold true in my case. My first encounter was playing FF6 on the SNES. Loved the game so much that I bummed a friend’s SNES for a whole summer to play. Now my love for the series was set in stone when FF7 hit. It was the first game that I purchased when I recieved my PS1. I can recall staying up way later then I should have playing this game. I still playthough about once a year thanks to Sony and the ability to download to my PS3.

When FF8 hit I was pumped about how the pre-rendered background graphics and musical score. The game didn’t hold my attention like FF7, I didn’t care to much for the draw system because I hated how your magic stock pile was linked to your overall stats. I felt like I was gimping myself anytime I cast a spell, so I played the game WAY to conservatively.

I couldn’t stand FF9. Seemed a bit to childish. I made it to the third disk and quit.

Ff10 made me fall in love with the series again just like 7. Voiced dialogue, great graphics, good story line. Just a solid game all around. So many good memories in that game.

FF12 was ok, I never completed the game but that my fault since I didn’t have to much time when it was released. Just to lazy to pick it back up at this point. FF13 was my biggest disappointment in the series to date. I hated how you had to balance your party around what abilities they had. Finding the right combo meant battles would move ultra fast, the wrong combo meant failed attempts at boss’s or fights that stretched so long they would cast doom on you... I made it to the end of chapter 12 and just stopped caring.

Ohh and FF tactics is pure SEX!
Better to be known in a small guild, rather than unknown in a large guild.
trycare
Maintankadonor

Postby Candiru » Fri Oct 22, 2010 8:59 am

Chrono Trigger, while not a pure FF game, is the best RPG made by Square though. The characters, story, multiple endings, multi-character combos, positional battle system, lack of random encounters just make it the best imho.

And then you can play through on New Game+ and see all the endings you didn't see the first time round. I think you can see them in theory the first time round, but you won't have the stats to defeat Lavos unless you did some serious grinding...
Candiru

Postby Sabindeus » Fri Oct 22, 2010 9:11 am

it's time for Sabin's Controversy

FF7 sucked

FF9 was awesome

flame on
Turn In, an NPC interaction automator - http://wow.curse.com/downloads/wow-addo ... rn-in.aspx
Sabindeus

Postby Thornir » Fri Oct 22, 2010 9:14 am

I'd say VI is the only one I really got into. Granted, it was a little more grindy than for my preference (they all are, in my opinion). But the characters made the game for me. The plot was a little hard to follow after a while, and the combat was a lot of "do this super awesome attack and win", but the characters make up for that. They give just enough back story that you can fill in the holes with your own imagination.

I did mess around with IV on an emulator, but I never got into it as much as VI. I'm also in the same boat as Nika with VII... I tried the game recently, and it just didn't appeal to me compared to what's out now. Whenever I hear someone, especially my other IRL gamer buddies, talk about VII, there always seems to be the nostalgia that drives them. I don't have that : /

Crystal Chronicles was the best in the series though. :D
Many fall, but one remains. - The Stranger
Men are but flesh and blood. They know their doom, but not the hour. - Patrick Stewart
Thornir

*Now with 100% more beef!*
Thornir

Postby Belloc » Fri Oct 22, 2010 10:15 am

Candiru wrote:Chrono Trigger, while not a pure FF game, is the best RPG made by Square though. The characters, story, multiple endings, multi-character combos, positional battle system, lack of random encounters just make it the best imho.

And then you can play through on New Game+ and see all the endings you didn't see the first time round. I think you can see them in theory the first time round, but you won't have the stats to defeat Lavos unless you did some serious grinding...

Best game of all time, imo.

Passionario wrote:There is a saying: "Your first Final Fantasy game will always be the best one".

Mine was X-2. So yeah.

My first was either 4 or 6... and it took me well over 10 years to get around to beating 6 (which kind of ruined it for me). 4 was alright, but kind of boring, I think.

7 is probably my favorite, but I really want to get around to playing all the way through 10 some day.
Belloc

Postby 8bit » Fri Oct 22, 2010 3:35 pm

I enjoyed XIII, mostly because I had a reason to grind all of my characters to max "level", which is something I tend to do anyway in a lot of RPGs. My biggest disappointment in the game was the last boss. I was playing one night, and was hammered as hell. I stumbled upon the boss, beat it in one attempt (and got the Superstar achievement to boot), and thought, "Is that it?" Obvious statement is obvious, but I don't remember the actual fight at all. I just can't be bothered to go do all the weapon grinding, since aside from maxing out achievements, I know I'll be doing nothing with them. I may do that one day, but for now, 100ish hours (which could have easily been cut by at least twenty hours, because I was mostly playing during raid downtime, and I'd occasionally forget to pause) is enough.

I started with VII back in high school, and have probably spent around 200 hours on it with multiple playthroughs. I still really like the materia system, and prefer it to almost every other magic system I've seen. However, damn, that translation is horrendous.

I played up to the Adel fight in VIII and repeatedly got my ass kicked for the greater part of an afternoon. I found out at that point I had been doing it wrong™. I had been leveling actual levels instead of leveling guardian forces, so I was pretty useless at that point in the game.

The first two and a half discs of IX were a lot of fun, but I got distracted by something and never went back to it. Actually, that may have been the point where I could no longer bring my PS2 to work and play it. Hm.

I played through FFI on Game Boy Advance, but I would like to go through it without the MP change in effect, just so I can see how hard it originally was. That one was fun, though. II, on the other hand, can eat a bag of dicks. I haven't played enough of the other ones to know much about them.
8bit

Postby Zonzede » Fri Oct 22, 2010 8:34 pm

Sabindeus wrote:FF7 sucked

FF9 was awesome

Dude.

Not. Cool.
Zonzede

Postby Teranoid » Fri Oct 22, 2010 9:40 pm

Zonzede wrote:
Dorvan wrote:I haven't played a FF since IX, and from what I've seen of them I don't have a pressing desire to change that. I like my turn-based combat :p

Dragon Warrior/Quest?
If so, /brofist

My brother picked up DQ9 for the DS and was up till 5am this morning playing it. I almost feel compelled to buy this because very rarely will he forgo sleep to play a game.
Teranoid

PreviousNext

Return to Arkham Asylum