All things Final Fantasy

Invisusira's playground

Moderators: Aergis, Invisusira

All things Final Fantasy

Postby trycare » Thu Oct 21, 2010 3:20 pm

After reading some of the feedback from Invis topic about FF14, I came to the conclusion that we need a catch all topic on Final Fantasy. Feel free to state what you loved/hated and loathed. Are you happy with current path FF games seem to be taking, or are you a "ol school solider" such as myself?
Better to be known in a small guild, rather than unknown in a large guild.
trycare
Maintankadonor

Re: All things Final Fantasy

Postby Sabindeus » Thu Oct 21, 2010 3:23 pm

May the light always shine down upon us.

Turn In, an NPC interaction automator - http://wow.curse.com/downloads/wow-addo ... rn-in.aspx
Sabindeus

Postby Lightbeard » Thu Oct 21, 2010 3:38 pm

<3 my Editions of Final Fantasy Tactics Advance and Final Fantasy 1 and 2 (although I can't beat these without the help of my strat guide)
Lightbeard

Postby Sabindeus » Thu Oct 21, 2010 3:41 pm

FFT (not advance) was the amazings
Turn In, an NPC interaction automator - http://wow.curse.com/downloads/wow-addo ... rn-in.aspx
Sabindeus

Postby Adryl » Thu Oct 21, 2010 3:50 pm

Honestly I'm all for anything regarding FF. Yes there are entries I hate (looks at 2, 3, and 12) and ones I love. Yeah I am very much yearning for one that goes back to the glory days (1, 6, and 9 got it right imho) but I have to accept the fact that Square Enix has bigger and hopefully better plans for the beloved series. I thing I must say is that I cannot think of another series that has reached out to so many different variations of the rpg genre and even went into the mmo side and over to RTS (yeah I count revenant wings). I say bring it but at least revamp the old ones (only graphical please)
Adryl

Postby Brutalicus » Thu Oct 21, 2010 4:04 pm

FFIX is, in my opinion, the best entry in the main series. With XII, VII, and XIII close behind that. The storytelling in those (okay, and VIII too) is amazing, even during the decline of the JRPG. I don't think a JRPG will ever come close to the likes of Mass Effect, but sometimes I have an itch that can only be scratched with FF or Star Ocean 2/3.
Brutalicus, Garona (Horde) Tankadin
Brutalicus

Postby Lightbeard » Thu Oct 21, 2010 4:29 pm

Sabindeus wrote:FFT (not advance) was the amazings

I played FFT on PS1 I hated it so much.
Lightbeard

Postby Sabindeus » Thu Oct 21, 2010 4:31 pm

Lightbeard wrote:

this makes you pretty much the worst
Sabindeus

Postby Adryl » Thu Oct 21, 2010 4:42 pm

Lightbeard wrote:

Ya know, I don't think I have ever hated any of your posts as much as I hate this one. But anyways to me IX is probably my fav. I also love the music. Granted 6 has my favorite battle theme (look up Daniel Tidwell's version) and 10 had my fav final boss theme. But 9 wins with Dark Messenger, The Darkness of Eternity, Envoy of Destruction, or more commonly referred to as Kuja's theme. I don't know why but it is my favorite.
Adryl

Postby Lightbeard » Thu Oct 21, 2010 4:47 pm

Sabindeus wrote:
Lightbeard wrote:

this makes you pretty much the worst

Maybe it was because of how much I disliked the PS1 (compared to the N64) but I just couldn't get into it. This was years ago however so that may change if I play it doay (although I don't think I still have the game or the Ps1 wires.)
Lightbeard

Postby Sabindeus » Thu Oct 21, 2010 4:48 pm

the PSP version has a much better translation, though it suffers from some slowdown bugs which piss me off. also rendered cutscenes are cute.
Sabindeus

Postby Dorvan » Thu Oct 21, 2010 6:43 pm

I haven't played a FF since IX, and from what I've seen of them I don't have a pressing desire to change that. I like my turn-based combat :p

WHAT WOULD BEST DESCRIBE YOUR PERSONALITY?
Moonlight Sonata Techno Remix
Scriggle - 85 Fire Mage
Fizzmore - 81 Mut Rogue
Adorania - 80 Disc Priest
Dorvan
Maintankadonor

Postby Gracerath » Fri Oct 22, 2010 5:07 am

All I can say is I hope the next console version of FF doesn't lick sack like 13 did. What a horrible Final Fantasy. Its not the worst *game* I've ever played but it sure is the worst Final Fantasy I've ever played and that includes Mystic Quest.

I had a hard time with the tactics games. I have the PSP version but it is so incredibly difficult that I ended up quitting in frustration. I don't like how the random monsters continually scale with you and yet the story line does not. I got to one area while I was level .. 30?ish on my characters and kept running into these red chocobos that would do some sort of AE and wipe out my entire party before I even had a chance to make a move. Outleveling the story made those go easier but man those random battles could be tough.

Have any of you tried Final Fantasy Dissidia for the PSP? The story for the characters is actually pretty terrible but the combat was addicting and fun. There was something satisfying playing as Terra and smoking the crap out of Kefka all over again. It has quite a bit of replay, you have to beat it with all the characters and then you get the fun task of doing battles certain ways to get certain items to trade for other upgrades. While fun, it was pretty repetitious and after beating it with 3 people, I got bored and haven't really touched it since.
Bye space sword!
Gracerath
Maintankadonor

Postby Brutalicus » Fri Oct 22, 2010 6:15 am

Oh God, Dissidia. Hugely addicting game. I literally played it for twelve hours straight the night I got it. A PSP game for 12 hours!
Brutalicus, Garona (Horde) Tankadin
Brutalicus

Postby Brand » Fri Oct 22, 2010 6:36 am

Brutalicus wrote:Oh God, Dissidia. Hugely addicting game. I literally played it for twelve hours straight the night I got it. A PSP game for 12 hours!

Indeed. Dissidia is like crack. I played it for 3 months solid and then had to put it down before at the potential cost of my sanity. I haven't played it in months, but it sits in my game rack staring at me. Might pick it up again and see if I can't have some better control. It's certainly an interesting game; story is kind of "meh" everything else I thought was fun as hell, but I thought the voice work for the game was fairly fantastic. In many ways, it makes me sad because it's probably the only time we'll hear voices for many of the cast (I thought Zidane's voice was especially good). The subtle updates to the character's looks were very nice and welcome.

FFIV is, was, and always will be my favorite in the series. I own every version of it that's been available in the US. FFII for the SNES, the PS1 Anthology w/ Chrono Trigger (another fantabulous game), the GBA Cart, and even the DS version (hands down my favorite version). FFVII, FFIX, and FFX are very close behind. FFVIII would have been up there if the last 30% of the game wasn't just a giant WTF. I don't know why, but it always bothered me that the first 2/3 of VIII was awesome and then *POOF* it comes crashing down.

Of note: I've refused to play XIII at all. I almost bought it before a friend of mine (and additional FF Fanatic) called me and told me not to do it. I think one day I'll pick it up, but almost everything I've seen and heard about the game makes me more then apprehensive about it. Same with XIV. Although I did play XI (63PLD/31WAR w/ all AF Gear) it was time I honestly wish I had back.
"I wonder if there's beer on the sun." - Zap Rowsdower
Brand

Next

Return to Arkham Asylum