Final Fantasy XIV Online

Invisusira's playground

Moderators: Aergis, Invisusira

Re: Final Fantasy XIV Online

Postby Eaglestrike » Wed Oct 20, 2010 8:02 pm

Teranoid wrote:Its a hell of a lot more entertaining than "durh lemme run to the arrow and avoid all the mobs so i can watch another cutscene!"

You're totally right. A combat system which only lets you control the main character's actions and leaves the AI to decide whether or not to heal you when you are at 5 health against a boss that can 2 shot you and decides rather to cast a useless ice spell despite the turn before it realizing it has a fire vulnerability is amazing. I'm sorry but shifting paradigms every other turn to avoid getting steamrolled is not fun.

Part of it may be the fact of nostalgia. But part of it is also the fact that every "rpg" that SE puts out these days are games with nonexistant replay value and are more an interactive movie than a video game.

I found random battles incredibly annoying. I stopped replaying old RPG's for the simple fact that random battles annoyed me so damn much. They were easy, simple and after a time a complete waste of time. I can pick and choose (often) which fights I want to do in FF's now, I love it.

Then you're doing it wrong. You can only directly control one person, true, but your complaints basically make me think "you're doing it wrong, lrn2play" because you clearly didn't understand how the mechanics worked. Paradigm shifting WAS the gameplay mechanic, that's what it was about, I don't really get how you didn't recognize this. They even added in paradigm shifting giving you a full ATB gauge to encourage paradigm shifting. You were supposed to react to how the battle was going accordingly. You know, use strategy? I'm sorry you don't like such a thing in your RPG's.

I play FFXIII all the time, more than I ever did 7/9. Ok, I had more free time to play 7 so I probably haven't caught up to that yet, but when I play XIII it's because I WANT to, and I've done that a few times. I rush through the story fast because I can SKIP ALL THE CUTSCENES and I get to focus purely on building up my characters and fighting. I'd replay XII too if I still had it, but sold my PS2/XII a while back. I get the itch to play it often though =/

Edit: To try and keep this somewhat relevant to FFXIV- The fact they took out random battles and some of the senseless grinding/wandering in XII and XIII is what gave me hope for XIV being good. Which oddly is something they didn't put into their MMO, heh. Those are why WoW got so big and they put it into their console games...but not the MMO...
Eaglestrike

Postby mew » Wed Oct 20, 2010 8:12 pm

Eaglestrike wrote:Edit: I think you people are blaming the lack of immersion on games getting "worse" when in actuality the majority of it is you growing up.

I've always felt like it's more about the evolution and "growing up" of gaming moreso than the players. It's more about the games they are producing and the times in which they are produced. The older FF games were ahead of that curve, but it seems their newer ones are lagging behind it.
There is also that large cultural gaming divide between the US and Japan, but I can only go as far as consider it as a potential factor since I don't know enough details.
ImageImage
mew

Postby Eaglestrike » Wed Oct 20, 2010 8:24 pm

mew wrote:
Eaglestrike wrote:Edit: I think you people are blaming the lack of immersion on games getting "worse" when in actuality the majority of it is you growing up.

I've always felt like it's more about the evolution and "growing up" of gaming moreso than the players. It's more about the games they are producing and the times in which they are produced. The older FF games were ahead of that curve, but it seems their newer ones are lagging behind it.
There is also that large cultural gaming divide between the US and Japan, but I can only go as far as consider it as a potential factor since I don't know enough details.

One thing I know is that back in the day I could be into a whole "I can't wait to see what happens next!" in a game, but I just don't get like that anymore. I'd get really into it and emotionally involved and such. Doesn't happen at all these days, it's just "oh yeah? cool". But it's the same way with movies/TV shows with me for the most part. I just settle in and enjoy things for what they are, I don't expect them to blow my mind. And I'm able to enjoy some things like that.
Eaglestrike

Postby Orthien » Thu Oct 21, 2010 2:19 pm

mew wrote:The older FF games were ahead of that curve, but it seems their newer ones are lagging behind it.
There is also that large cultural gaming divide between the US and Japan

These two right here hit the mark, FF games in in a way most RPG's have not evolved much from the late 90's. Yes the graphics have gotten better and they are randomly throwing in features that don't last through to the next one, but the base game is still the same with little variation.
Couple that with the fact the SE is building games for the Japanese market an ignoring what "Foreigners" want to play, its doing more harm than good. Sure your based in Japan but its the world wide audience that will make sure you really make the big money on it and most of the world has a different taste to what Japan have.
Orthien

Postby Brutalicus » Thu Oct 21, 2010 4:12 pm

i.e. study WoW and let us goddamn jump. And drag abilities around the interface. And play the game as fast as we can think without having to wade through that interface... So much potential, and unfortunately no amount of patching can fix poor game design.
Brutalicus, Garona (Horde) Tankadin
Brutalicus

Previous

Return to Arkham Asylum