Remove Advertisements

[10/25] Ruby Sanctum - Halion

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, guillex

Re: [10/25] Ruby Sanctum - Halion

Postby Treck » Fri Aug 13, 2010 7:14 pm

since you know where Halion will pop back out, you can start off by running to the complete oposite side, this will give you a few more sec before he touch you to let healers get out there and get prepared for your dmg intake.
I also pop DP right as he is about to make his first hit, this will ensure your survival for quite some time.
After that, you wanna try to have a CD for each time an infernal comes close to you, making it easier for your healers. If you have vindication in your specc, try to make sure Halion has it, its pretty insignificant if the infernal has it or not. Also dont forget the 20% haste debuff on halion. Personally i was pretty much fulltime on the infernal after it spawned, but threw each judgement on Halion instead.
Salv glyph is ok, its nice when your only tanking Halion, but at those times healing really shouldnt be stressed.
If you have 2 hunters that can MD the infernal you can still use it, but its better than some useless glyph (tauntglyph for example).
All the dps on the infernals are pretty much hunters/mages/Sps, and they can more than easily drop their threat if they need to, just make sure that they are all aware that they might have to.
Treck

Postby Pala » Sun Aug 15, 2010 11:43 pm

After another kill of Halion on 25 we are feeling very comfortable with trying heroic next week. That should be fun. I tank in the shadow realm and things are pretty good with cooldowns and such so far. Like I said, next week should be fun. :) The ret paladin that uploads the logs to World of Logs is also in the shadow realm with me. Do any of you have problems with the logs being messed up? Each week it hasn't shown a kill, only wipes or tries. I read the forums at WoL and since the shadow dragon doesn't die the logs don't know to stop correctly. Anyway, if any of you could provide assistance or another resource I would greatly appreciate it.

P.S. Eledhwen is normally ret so don't pick him apart too much. I am always prot so I'm fair game. :oops:

http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/yko2fyha5f2iy0r1/
[Palatinus] & [Kury] - Earthen Ring US
Pala
Maintankadonor

Postby Epimer » Mon Aug 16, 2010 6:24 am

Pala wrote:
P.S. Eledhwen is normally ret so don't pick him apart too much. I am always prot so I'm fair game. :oops:

http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/yko2fyha5f2iy0r1/

OT: your rotation on Festergut25H is pretty screwy. Gaps of anywhere between 6 and 11 (!) seconds between subsequent ShoRs, gaps of generally between 6 and 8 seconds (but one 17 second gap!) for HotR, and irregular patterns of ability usage. There's a few extended periods of 969 in there but they're not the majority.
Epimer

Postby Pala » Mon Aug 16, 2010 10:14 am

I'm laughing at it. Yeah I need to tighten up or actually do a 969. I think it was because they were my first times having to move back and forth between legs. I always get conflicted when not tanking. The Holy Shield spot comes up and my brain shuts down for a bit until I think of using Avenger's Shield or Holy Wrath. By then the rotation is out of sync. Thanks for the info.
Pala
Maintankadonor

Postby Arianne » Thu Aug 19, 2010 10:56 am

What is your plan when your upstairs OT gets combustion when adds are incoming?

Also, I dropped about 3k health to gain around 5k armor and noticed a lot less problems with tanking this fight even though I lost the T10 4 piece cooldown.
Arianne

Postby inthedrops » Thu Aug 19, 2010 11:43 am

Arianne wrote:What is your plan when your upstairs OT gets combustion when adds are incoming?

Also, I dropped about 3k health to gain around 5k armor and noticed a lot less problems with tanking this fight even though I lost the T10 4 piece cooldown.

Happens to me often enough (I'm the add tank). I normally get tricks for eahc spawn. When it's on me, I drop a consecrate and hollar in vent to tricks me now since I'll be running out of range. I just try to get back in as quickly as I can.

It's sketchy but as long as you communicate you've done your job. It's up to the rest of the raid to deal with it smartly at that point.
inthedrops
Maintankadonor

Postby cds4850 » Wed Sep 15, 2010 11:19 am

Anyone here tanking shadow realm? I'm curious to know how much emphasis people are placing on hard capping their expertise for this realm specifically.

I ask because my warrior tank is getting smashed (at work so I can't link armory, but Hartzell on KulTiras-US) even while wearing double armor trinkets. I haven't picked through the WoLs yet, but he is quick to assume it was on account of pary hasted melees. In each of his deaths, the 40k damage taken from Halions breath is usually part of the equation. For some reason though, Acheron logs rarely collect all of the info even while I am in the same realm (I DPS as a shadow priest in the shadow realm.)

Our setup includes having our DPS/healers leading the rotation in the shadow realm while positioned on Halion's right rear quarter to avoid melee being in cleave/parry range. To this end, Hartzell follows us while rotating during cutters. He rotates shield wall, shield block/last stand, and his 4pc tier bonus as cooldowns during cutters, with guardian spirit/pain supression as back ups in case he has to use a CD early.

We're headed back in tonight, so I'll be sure to update this thread with a few death logs afterwards.
cds4850

Postby Meloree » Wed Sep 15, 2010 12:02 pm

I don't tank shadow, but I know exactly how it works for us.

Naiad (feral druid) tanks, and his expertise is fairly high, just due to druid tank itemization in ICC, but definitely not hardcapped. Tank parries are rarely the issue at Halion, in my experience, it's normally melee parries that cause gibs. In order to avoid that, we have the raid following (IE, on Halion's left side), and Naiad simply rotates as close to the leftmost beam as he possibly can. This prevents melee from being able to get parried - they'd have to be in a beam to be in position to get parried - and we don't have any gib issues.
Meloree
Maintankadonor

Postby Belloc » Wed Sep 15, 2010 1:18 pm

Meloree wrote:I don't tank shadow, but I know exactly how it works for us.

Naiad (feral druid) tanks, and his expertise is fairly high, just due to druid tank itemization in ICC, but definitely not hardcapped. Tank parries are rarely the issue at Halion, in my experience, it's normally melee parries that cause gibs. In order to avoid that, we have the raid following (IE, on Halion's left side), and Naiad simply rotates as close to the leftmost beam as he possibly can. This prevents melee from being able to get parried - they'd have to be in a beam to be in position to get parried - and we don't have any gib issues.

Some melee DPS classes can experience weird parries on this fight (and Sindragosa, I believe). I have seen many reports of feral druids getting parried while they are clearly behind the boss.

Again, shouldn't be much of an issue, but still something that can screw you.
Belloc

Postby Pala » Thu Sep 16, 2010 11:25 am

I'm not sure if this has been mentioned but I've confirmed it for 10 and 25 man normal. If all of the raid starts in front of Halion with the entrance behind them and the tank is 60 to 75 degrees to their left, then the shadow cutters in the shadow realm will start just off of Halion's back right leg (the tank's left). So if the raid is at 6 o'clock the tank can start at 8 o'clock and the first cutter lines up very nicely and the dance begins. I haven't tried heroic yet but setting up this way takes a lot of thinking out of the first cutter for normal mode. I tank Halion downstairs and try to keep him almost parallel with the cutter. Heroic with cross-cutters could totally ruin this strategy.
Pala
Maintankadonor

Postby inthedrops » Thu Sep 16, 2010 1:28 pm

Pala wrote:Heroic with cross-cutters could totally ruin this strategy.

Fortunately Heroic with Cross Cutters is actually easier to do the dance with :)
inthedrops
Maintankadonor

Postby Arianne » Mon Oct 18, 2010 8:10 pm

Has anyone had the shadow realm be 'blurry' after 4.0.1? Can anyone correlate it with a shadow, glow, or sunshaft level?
Arianne

Postby Treck » Tue Oct 19, 2010 1:30 am

Arianne wrote:Has anyone had the shadow realm be 'blurry' after 4.0.1?

Know exactly what you mean, no clue how to "fix" it or so tho, but i dont see it as that annoying.
Treck

Postby Arianne » Tue Oct 19, 2010 11:59 am

Has any paladin successfully tanked heroic Halion fire realm since the patch? Can you give me an idea of what you're using for gear or if you have any particular cooldown rotation or talent spec that you recommend? What healer set up do you have and what assignments do they have?

I'm getting totally creamed in phase 3 of fire realm tanking even with a WoG centric spec (EG, PotI, GbtL). I start out with an armor pot and DP as soon as Halion activates and I pretty much die as soon as DP wears off with 3 healers in the fire realm (priest, druid, shaman). I've gotten as far as two Meteor strikes, using a trinket with WoG as the healers are moving, but what invariably happens is that I end up not blocking two hits in a row and the healers can't catch up. I've equipped a set of gear that's 91% block+avoidance+miss before holy shield and am still getting normal unblocked hits (ie: twilight precision is active still).

We're also having issues in phase 1 with our healers dying to the adds. Tanks don't have enough burst threat to counteract a druid and holy paladin spam healing the tanks, so they get hit by 7+ adds all at once and die. We have a DK tank as our add tank. Do we need to do something like have that tank start on halion and tank swap when the adds are about to spawn so that we have vengeance built up?
Arianne

Postby Kihra » Tue Oct 19, 2010 12:03 pm

Arianne wrote:Has any paladin successfully tanked heroic Halion fire realm since the patch? Can you give me an idea of what you're using for gear or if you have any particular cooldown rotation or talent spec that you recommend? What healer set up do you have and what assignments do they have?

I am almost positive that Twilight Precision is on for the fire dragon but off for the shadow dragon.

In my guild's logs, our druid was avoiding only 38% of fire Halion's attacks. Meanwhile I was avoiding 54% of shadow Halion's attacks and never taking an unblocked hit.
Kihra

PreviousNext

Return to T10: Icecrown Citadel