Remove Advertisements

I can't seem to generate threat - what should I be doing?

How to get started.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, lythac

I can't seem to generate threat - what should I be doing?

Postby bjanssen » Thu Oct 14, 2010 3:08 pm

Hi Guys

I've read the basic FAQ and I'm geared OK (block capped, 22% dodge and parry, hit capped, soft expertise capped). But I can't seem to get above 2500 dps or 4000 tps. I OT'd OS and was 7th on the threat table (10 man)!

At the moment I am doing 939 and trying to hit the buttons at the right time, I'm not the fastest learner so I'm probably well short of optimal execution but I can't see how I can double or triple my threat from here.

Am I missing something dramatic or are these numbers normal. Does it all come right when you are MT?

I have been MT for our reasonably successful casual guild for 3 years and now I feel like "bad tank is bad".
bjanssen

Re: I can't seem to generate threat - what should I be doing?

Postby d503 » Thu Oct 14, 2010 3:21 pm

Vengeance is a huge part of it. My ShoR crits went from 18k to 35k when doing Algalon 10man, and there's no dmg gimmick in that fight, just Vengeance scaling.

Make sure you optimize your rotation to get every ShoR properly and have a chance to have SD proc'd before it so you can get the crit chance.

I always prioritize AS over HW, and GS keeps that happening quite often.

Use Wings, since it no longer locks you out of cooldowns! :)
d503

Postby Asandriss » Fri Oct 15, 2010 2:13 am

Could you post some logs?

Yesterday we were doing ICC 10 (8man, first four bosses on heroic). I had about 5k sustained dps with ShoR crits as high as 54k (on longer fights with lots of Vengeance)! I felt damage was insane and had no threat issues at all.

Here are the logs: http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/gj3h ... 848&e=2270

Sadly my armory is not updated yet.
Asandriss

Postby Frando » Tue Oct 19, 2010 7:19 am

I'm ok with threat if I have any kind of lead, but my problem is snap threat, especially after a long gap. Specifically I'm talking about LK, where I have to pick up spirits (and generally any fight where there are phase changes). How are other people dealing with situations like that? Are you saving 3 holy power for that big SotR smack when you absolutely have to get threat first and make it stick?
Frando

Postby Palisade » Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:30 am

Frando wrote:I'm ok with threat if I have any kind of lead, but my problem is snap threat, especially after a long gap. Specifically I'm talking about LK, where I have to pick up spirits (and generally any fight where there are phase changes). How are other people dealing with situations like that? Are you saving 3 holy power for that big SotR smack when you absolutely have to get threat first and make it stick?

Start with a taunt, imx. Even if it no longer does damage, it at least gets the mob's attention. Then hit it with AS / CS and what ever else ya got. Also remember we have hammer of justice.
Palisade

Postby Chicken » Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:34 am

Frando wrote:I'm ok with threat if I have any kind of lead, but my problem is snap threat, especially after a long gap. Specifically I'm talking about LK, where I have to pick up spirits (and generally any fight where there are phase changes). How are other people dealing with situations like that? Are you saving 3 holy power for that big SotR smack when you absolutely have to get threat first and make it stick?
If there's a situation upcoming where I don't need the threat on my current enemy but do need some large threat on an upcoming enemy I definitely recommend saving Holy Power for SotR; it's also a handy thing to do (if a small DPS loss) for tank swapping fights like Saurfang. Similar things can be applied to most your abilities really, and it's a bit of extra subtlety past just following the rotation that will help you tank better. It's one of the reasons I'd recommend most tanks to use some form of threat meter; it allows you to check easily how far ahead you are of the DPS on your current target.

Palisade is also right on taunts working well to help, they'll at least ensure the mob sticks to you for 3 seconds; they're not a permanent solution but if that's what it takes to prevent someone from getting killed they're perfect. If there's a particular DPS in your raid as well who you know has tendencies to pull aggro early on the Glyph of Salvation is also very handy.
Chicken

Return to Basic Training & Talents