Remove Advertisements

Future of Mastery

Warning: Theorycraft inside.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, theckhd

Future of Mastery

Postby Huellio » Mon Oct 18, 2010 3:41 pm

Sorry if this topic has been answered before, I searched but everything just lead to reforging for ICC content.

It seems like we are the only tanking class right now that is going to run out of use for the mastery stat, and while reforging basically takes care of this as far as not having to see excess stats on BiS gear, I can imagine this turning into a handicap in the later tiers of content during cataclysm.

Please bear with me while I claim the sky is going to be falling and spell out what I already know is a worst case scenario that probably will not happen.

As it stands we (paladins) are going to be pretty dominant in the first tier of cata content I think; as long as we are able to reforge to block cap we will stand as the go to tanks for physical bosses that hit hard and slow. We are going to take the most consistent damage and probably will fare very well into the second tier of content as well. However, during this time we will start to see more stats on gear and have to forge fewer and fewer stats into mastery, at some point reaching a spot where it starts becoming necessary for us to reforge mastery into dodge or parry (or even threat stats if you need to reach one of those caps).

While reforging mastery won't be a bad thing in itself, it seems like our while our mastery talent will be great early on, it won't scale into the final tiers of cataclysm as well as the other tanks. Warriors who are able to reach near the block cap in the final tier of content are going to mitigate a ton more damage than us, deathknights will have a very respectable mini cooldown tied to death strike (I can see them becoming the go to tanks for big spells again with this) and I really don't know that much about druids. But for the sake of this paragraph they are going to rape us with their mastery absorb thing.

Looking over the current talents that is what the future of the tank classes looks like to me. I will also be the first to say that I don't think the disparities will make it so that we cannot tank any encounters, and I can also see the potential that being the only that reforges mastery into avoidance could result in us being the class that other tanks wish they were again.

Just wanted to see if you guys had covered this or get an idea of what people thought about the future of mastery talents.
Geezus - Alterac Mountains

This ain't Sea-World
This is real as it gets
Huellio

Re: Future of Mastery

Postby d503 » Mon Oct 18, 2010 4:02 pm

Well, if the idea is that our Mastery caps out really early, than I think we'll be the tanks that can focus into reforging other stats when Mastery is capped.

We're likely to have higher avoidance than other tanks because there will be a point when we're reforging MASTERY into OTHER STATS, as opposed to the other way around.

So our avoidance and threat stats will continue to increase, and we'll continue to take the most predictable amount of damage.

I'm not sure if that mitigates what might be a scaling nightmare in the other tanks' masteries, but I think it's a good positive spin to put on it.
d503

Postby Markoh » Mon Oct 18, 2010 6:21 pm

I was having this exact conversation with our bear today. But the conclusion you have to come to is that there is no real advantage or disadvantage to us capping mastery, you can always reforge and take gear to maximize your avoidance/threat/eh. The problem comes in that mastery is supposed to define your character, this is supposed to scream IM A PROT PALADIN, and as it turns out we are going to be avoiding like the plague I fear.

This isn't a case of it being overpowered or underpowered, it's one of those sad cases that we will have this great stat and tool to be unique, that we flat out can not get any great use out of.

If the last two expansions are any sign, with each tier of gear the whole tanking balance will constantly change, but the fact that we can max our mastery in heroic blues means we are destined for the bland when it comes to mastery. One solution that I can think of is to add a 2nd element to our mastery where it takes all block that is pushed off the combat table and turns it into more blocked. Like say 10% block chance gets pushed off and lets us block 33% or something.
Markoh

Postby Rhiannon » Mon Oct 18, 2010 6:42 pm

You'll find this topic being discussed at length in this thread in the cata forum.
Rhiannon

Postby Huellio » Tue Oct 19, 2010 11:06 am

Thanks for the link, it seems like everyone pretty much sees that since we are the only class that is going to have a cap on mastery we could be either overpowered or underpowered, but will more than likely still be pretty balanced.
Geezus - Alterac Mountains

This ain't Sea-World
This is real as it gets
Huellio

Postby Koatanga » Tue Oct 19, 2010 6:12 pm

I still think there will be a lot of value in mitigating every hit. Warriors should be hard-pressed to reach anythig approaching block cap, which means they will still take full hits. Inevitably they will take consecutive full hits.

If mana pools are such that damage taken overall becomes more important than damage taken on consecutive hits, then other tanks could have advantages over us. If not, then we'll be in a good place. Currently, we value mitigation (armour) over avoidance. Assuming you could compare a case of extremes, where the Paladin is unhittable vs a warrior with 100% block value (but not unhittable), the paladin represents mitigation, where the warrior represents avoidance.

So it all depends on the damage and mana profiles we'll see in Cata.
Retired. Koatanga, Shapely, Sultry, Doominatrix of Greenstone - Dath'Remar
Koatanga

Return to Advanced Theorycraft and Calculations