Remove Advertisements

Quick Basics

How to get started.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, lythac

Quick Basics

Postby Maballsies » Sat Oct 16, 2010 11:58 pm

I looked everything up in about an hour, so this is really just a verification post. Anything wrong? Any "basics" I didn't mention that should be put in here?

Single target rotation:
CS > J > CS > (AS/HW/Cons) > CS > Shor

pulls:
HoRec > AS > rotation

Reforging:
Reforge dodge/parry to mastery until you get to 21.6% dodge and 21.4% parry, and do not go below those numbers. Once you reach 87.4% avoidance, stop reforging mastery and keep the dodge/parry.

Glyphs:
prime - SoT, Shor, HotR
major - Consec, HW, Rebuke (for a decent threat boost. didnt see it posted anywhere on here, but currently rebuke procs your seal. Since it is off GCD you can macro it in to every spell for a decent dps/threat boost, or at least you can macro it for ret for a decent dps boost)
minor - preference

Spec:
0/31/5 http://www.wowhead.com/talent#sZGMhsRddoRucb

AoE Rotation:
???

Enchants:
???

Gemming:
???
Good God can you still get us home?
We're forgetting our forgiveness
Maballsies

Re: Quick Basics

Postby econ21 » Sun Oct 17, 2010 2:29 pm

Maballsies wrote:pulls:
HoRec > AS > rotation

I don't see the point of HoRec as an opener. You get a fixate for 3 seconds, but I prefer to start with exorcism and save HoRec for anything that gets past you, barrelling for your healer. I also work in a judgement before AS, as I want to give the mobs time to cluster and so the bounce hits. I sometimes do a 1 HoPo ShoR to get my shield up and consecrate to fill in time for J to reset to start the rotation proper. Of course, in heroics, stuff tends to be dead before you hit 3 HoP.

Reforging:
Reforge dodge/parry to mastery until you get to 21.6% dodge and 21.4% parry, and do not go below those numbers. Once you reach 87.4% avoidance, stop reforging mastery and keep the dodge/parry.

I think it's ok to go below 21%. You take a little more damage but for me it was tiny. And the gain is smoothing out the damage intake.

AoE Rotation:
???

As single, but swop HotR for CS? Consecrate at the start and on cooldown.

Enchants:
???

Gemming:
???

Starting afresh, I would go for being block capped then max effective health, so pick up some slot bonuses with mixed gems. Some avoidance enchants might be ok to that end. But at this stage of the game, I am not regemming and re-enchanting for some minor move towards block capping.
econ21

Postby Maballsies » Sun Oct 17, 2010 10:08 pm

econ21 wrote:
Maballsies wrote:pulls:
HoRec > AS > rotation

I don't see the point of HoRec as an opener. You get a fixate for 3 seconds, but I prefer to start with exorcism and save HoRec for anything that gets past you, barrelling for your healer. I also work in a judgement before AS, as I want to give the mobs time to cluster and so the bounce hits. I sometimes do a 1 HoPo ShoR to get my shield up and consecrate to fill in time for J to reset to start the rotation proper. Of course, in heroics, stuff tends to be dead before you hit 3 HoP.

Reforging:

I think it's ok to go below 21%. You take a little more damage but for me it was tiny. And the gain is smoothing out the damage intake.

AoE Rotation:
???

As single, but swop HotR for CS? Consecrate at the start and on cooldown.

Enchants:
???

Gemming:
???

Starting afresh, I would go for being block capped then max effective health, so pick up some slot bonuses with mixed gems. Some avoidance enchants might be ok to that end. But at this stage of the game, I am not regemming and re-enchanting for some minor move towards block capping.

I looked up some more today.

While it is alright to go under 21.6% and 21.4% it is still not advised, because those are the points at which mastery begins to outweigh dodge/parry due to DR. Anything reforged after that is actually an avoidance lost.

More or less, yes. Also AoE is hard to manage anyways due to increase lag spikes (or at least for me), so I didn't read much.

Yeah, pretty much. 30stam in all blues/colorless. Instead of Agi/stam in good red, go parry/stam now. Instead of Def Rating/stam in good yellows, go dodge/stam. As far as enchants go, pretty much the same as before:
helm - Arcanum of the Stalwart Protector (the argent crusade one)
shoulders - Sons of Hodir exalted because the resil does diddly squat for us now
back - 225 armor
chest - 275 health
wrists - 40stam
hands - 240 armor
legs - 55stam/22agi
feet - 22stam or tuskar's vitality
shield - titanium plating
weapon - blood draining for EH, hit/crit for threat.

Any engineering enchant with an on-use effect lost its passive bonuses (ie nitro boots lost 24crit) and can now stack with other enchants. So, engineers can also enjoy 45stam on head, 23agi on back, rocket launcher to pull stuff on hands, and nitro boots. The 250 armor to hands does not stack with other enchants, but it still BiS over all other enchants.

Also, gemming/enchanting could be affected by whether or not you need avoidance to get block capped, or if it would be more beneficial to lose 15stam for a gem then lose a lot of dodge or parry in a reforging.
Good God can you still get us home?
We're forgetting our forgiveness
Maballsies

Postby econ21 » Mon Oct 18, 2010 1:03 am

Maballsies wrote: While it is alright to go under 21.6% and 21.4% it is still not advised, because those are the points at which mastery begins to outweigh dodge/parry due to DR. Anything reforged after that is actually an avoidance lost

Advised by who? You are trading off average avoidance with reduction in the spikeyness of your damage. You pays your money and makes your choice.
econ21

Postby theckhd » Mon Oct 18, 2010 8:17 am

Maballsies wrote:While it is alright to go under 21.6% and 21.4% it is still not advised, because those are the points at which mastery begins to outweigh dodge/parry due to DR. Anything reforged after that is actually an avoidance lost.

Nobody is advising this. Dropping below those values may be a net increase in total damage taken, but reaching block cap is always a decrease in the size of an average hit. Thus it's always worth reforging for block cap, no matter what that leaves your avoidance at.
"Theck, Bringer of Numbers and Pounding Headaches," courtesy of Grehn|Skipjack.
MATLAB 5.x, Simcraft 6.x, Call to Arms 6.0, Talent Spec & Glyph Guide 5.x, Blog: Sacred Duty
theckhd

Postby Lehla » Mon Oct 18, 2010 5:55 pm

Maballsies wrote:Glyphs:
prime - SoT, Shor, HotR
major - Consec, HW, Rebuke (for a decent threat boost. didnt see it posted anywhere on here, but currently rebuke procs your seal. Since it is off GCD you can macro it in to every spell for a decent dps/threat boost, or at least you can macro it for ret for a decent dps boost)
minor - preference

Rebuke is a tier 4 Ret talent. Unless I am missing something the Glyph of Rebuke is not viable for a prot pally. Based on Theck's post it seems Focused Shield or Divine Plea might be better options. Along with possibly Hammer of Wrath.
Lehla

Return to Basic Training & Talents