Remove Advertisements

Easiest Heroics to tank with lvl 70s blues?

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

Easiest Heroics to tank with lvl 70s blues?

Postby Waramir » Fri Nov 02, 2007 3:06 pm

Hello all

looking for some advice on this.

i have tanked everysingle 70 instance in the game (non-heroic) without any problems so far. so today i decided to give heroic difficulty a try.

So i see a group needing a tank for SH and i join up and we wipe over and over on the 1st room. so the GL called it.

this left me very worried about being undergeared (but cant see really much places left to upgrade besides heroics and kara by now)

so was it me or is SH not really the place to go for my first taste at heroics?

And also, what heroics would you guys recommend i start off with? (the easier ones that is).

thanks in advance you all.

Armory link is in my siggy
Waramir

Postby Erendis » Fri Nov 02, 2007 3:36 pm

I've heard that SH is one of the harder heroics.

Easiest ones to me are Mech and Slave Pens. Steam Vaults isn't bad either and Ramps is easy but only gives 2 badges. Underbog is a step up but not too hard. Mana tombs... the only hard part is the last boss which I figure requires better gear than what drops off of him. ><
Erendis
Maintankadonor

Postby Invisusira » Fri Nov 02, 2007 3:42 pm

Mech and SV imo. SP and UB are also both relatively simple, but have a couple mobs that present issues to undergeared tanks.
Invisusira

Postby Fleetwood » Wed Dec 12, 2007 9:08 am

I wouldn't recommend Mechanar at all really, if only for Nethermancer Sepethrea who is a huge pain in the ass with a PUG. Restoration Druids make that fight trivial, however.

I've found the easiest heroics (on my shadow priest; always group with a tankadin) to be Ramparts, Blood Furnace, and Underbog. I've had a lot of success in Botanica too with highest wipes on Thorngrin the Tender (fight is terrible for melee classes). Do Mechanar if you have a good healer, and preferably one who knows the Nethermancer Sepethrea fight.

To correct the person above me, Ramparts gives three badges, not two.
Fleetwood

Postby Worldie » Wed Dec 12, 2007 10:41 am

Sh heroic is doable with blues as long as you have a proper healer and decent AoE.
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Postby DamnLag » Wed Dec 12, 2007 12:20 pm

I did my first Heroic this past weekend (Slave Pens). I had almost full blues, two greens (shoulders, bracers). I was able to AoE tank almost everything, although I did have the Shadow Priest MC any of the females. We did wipe once however on the crabs just before the second boss.. my healer DC's just as I pulled.. Still that is by far the worst pull in the place IMO..
Batteries not included.
DamnLag

Postby ShaneFalco » Wed Dec 12, 2007 2:39 pm

I didn't see this mentioned, but it needs to be: You have way too much Spell Damage and far too little defense.

At 443 Defense, you're still 47 defense skill away from being uncrittable. I don't want to sound like a jackass, but you shouldn't be in Heroics as a tank unless you're uncrittable. At 47 skill away from uncrittable, you're going to be crit something like every other hit. You won't last more than 3 seconds on some of the larger pulls in most heroics.

Upon looking at your armory, I'd suggest you read some of the gear reccomendation threads in the Gear section. You've got too much healing plate. Your main stats should be Defense, Stamina, Block, Dodge and Parry, which means you should be equipping a lot of warrior tanking items. You can get all the spell damage you'll ever need from your weapon. You don't need a large amount of intellect since you get mana back from heals.

I'd suggest you look at upgrades for the following slots:
Neck: The second boss in the Steamvaults drops a good one, and the Cenarion Expedition sell a good one at Revered.
Cape: The last boss in the Steamvaults and the first boss in the BM drop good ones.
Bracers: Find someone who can craft Bracers of the Green Fortress. They're excellent for tanking.
Belt: The Sha'tari Vindicator's Waistguard from a Netherstorm quest is the best option here.
Boots: The boots from the quest just outside of the Mana-tombs are an excellent choice.
Ring: Replace the epic one with one from the last boss in Arc or the one from the Caverns of Time quest.
Trinkets: Dabiri's Enigma, Figurine of the Collosus, Adamantine Figurine
Shield: Crest of the Sha'tar, which requires exalted rep with the Sha'tar.
Shanefalco - 70 Human Paladin - Dragonmaw US
ShaneFalco

Postby kalbear » Wed Dec 12, 2007 2:57 pm

For an alternate choice in shield - the shield of the wayward footman is a BoE world drop that usually sells on the AH.
kalbear

Postby Thax » Wed Dec 12, 2007 4:01 pm

Platinum Shield of the Valorous is a very nice blue tanking shield, from the first or second boss in Slabs. It's better than Wayward Footmans and also gives LC rep along with Aldor drops.
Yes, a Paladin can easily be the guy that gets put in front of something ugly and told to break the bad guy's equipment with his face before the bad guy breaks his face with his equipment. ~Lore
Thax

Postby Minn » Wed Dec 12, 2007 4:05 pm

Erendis wrote:I've heard that SH is one of the harder heroics.

Easiest ones to me are Mech and Slave Pens. Steam Vaults isn't bad either and Ramps is easy but only gives 2 badges. Underbog is a step up but not too hard. Mana tombs... the only hard part is the last boss which I figure requires better gear than what drops off of him. ><

1st boss in Mana Tombs can be a pain. You have to watch for his Void Shell, and even if you handle that his shadow damage is brutal. I wouldn't recommend that place for an aspiring heroic tank either.

Slave Pens is a good place to start, IMO. There aren't too many tricks, though the packs between the 2nd and 3rd bosses can be a bit of a workout. You'll want to start off with as much CC as your group can manage. Practice staying alive with Hammer of Justice. Use it to buy your healer(s?) some time. For example, the 2 Defenders before the first tunnel: pull, take a round from both, stun one.

Honestly though, you should probably spend a bit more time outside heroics. Gear up a tad and it'll make things a lot more pleasant when you do go in.
Minn

Postby utena » Wed Dec 12, 2007 6:20 pm

ShaneFalco wrote:I didn't see this mentioned, but it needs to be: You have way too much Spell Damage and far too little defense.

QFT.

Get out of heroics and get some gear.
utena

Postby kalbear » Wed Dec 12, 2007 6:56 pm

Platinum Shield of the Valorous is a very nice blue tanking shield, from the first or second boss in Slabs. It's better than Wayward Footmans and also gives LC rep along with Aldor drops.

The Shield of the Wayward Footman is the best shield in the game for reaching uncrushable. There is nothing close to it. It's not as good for stamina or block value or armor, but if you're trying to go for avoidance and uncrushability there is nothing better.

And it's buyable, so you don't have to worry about drops.
kalbear

Postby Waramir » Wed Dec 12, 2007 11:30 pm

ShaneFalco wrote:I didn't see this mentioned, but it needs to be: You have way too much Spell Damage and far too little defense.

At 443 Defense, you're still 47 defense skill away from being uncrittable. I don't want to sound like a jackass, but you shouldn't be in Heroics as a tank unless you're uncrittable. At 47 skill away from uncrittable, you're going to be crit something like every other hit. You won't last more than 3 seconds on some of the larger pulls in most heroics.

Upon looking at your armory, I'd suggest you read some of the gear reccomendation threads in the Gear section. You've got too much healing plate. Your main stats should be Defense, Stamina, Block, Dodge and Parry, which means you should be equipping a lot of warrior tanking items. You can get all the spell damage you'll ever need from your weapon. You don't need a large amount of intellect since you get mana back from heals.

logged in either my BGs "healing" set or my farming set

in my tanking set im well over 490 def, and uncrittable :P

always forget to logout in my tanking set since i always do a little farming or bgs before i log
Waramir

Postby ShaneFalco » Thu Dec 13, 2007 6:31 am

Waramir wrote:

logged in either my BGs "healing" set or my farming set

in my tanking set im well over 490 def, and uncrittable :P

always forget to logout in my tanking set since i always do a little farming or bgs before i log

Ok, then. Just ignore everything I said. :P

I was quick to assume the worst because I spent the better half of Tuesday trying to educate two tankadins on my server who couldn't understand why they were getting slaughtered when they were wearing Holy Paladin Plate to tank.

As for wiping, it might be that your healer just isn't used to you taking large portions of damage that come in Heroics. Even though Paladins make amazing tanks in Shattered Halls, it's very hard on a first time Heroic healer. If this is the case, maybe you should try one of the easier Heroics like Slave Pens or Mechanar (just bring someone who can counter the charged fist from the robots), until your healer becomes accustomed to healing through all the damage you're taking.

Another option would be to use crowd control abilities to help your healer adjust to the damage. I know Paladins hate crowd control (I do, too), but it would lower the damage you take and would give your healer a little more room.

A lot of my guild healers went through the same transition. They were used to being able to throw up Power Word: Shield to have it last for a few seconds so they could drop a larger heal. Mobs in Heroics will cut through it in 1-2 hits, so trying to use it to buy time for larger heals isn't going to work. In normal instances most healers can get away with healing reactively, but in Heroics healers have to be more pro-active about it.
Shanefalco - 70 Human Paladin - Dragonmaw US
ShaneFalco

Postby Pizbit » Thu Dec 13, 2007 6:39 am

Erendis wrote:I've heard that SH is one of the harder heroics.

Didn't check to see fi this thread had been necro'd, but...
Ramps now gives the correct 3 badges of justice.
I have ADHD and OCD...I keep forgetting to wash my hands.
Pizbit

Return to 5 Mans / Heroics