Remove Advertisements

Herald of the Titans - Reforging.

Get help with your character's gear

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, majiben, lythac, Digren

Herald of the Titans - Reforging.

Postby Gibbz » Fri Oct 15, 2010 1:43 pm

Forgive me if this is the wrong section to throw this in, I'm generally more of a reader than a writer.

Seems the patch has flipped our set-up on its head, last week it was our warrior being practically 2 shotted, this week it was me. Unfortunately I've forgotten to start logging again since the patch so I can't link the damage, however it was severe enough that we had to go for me only taking 2 stacks of phase punch before the other tank took over again and I had to drop ShoR to WoG spam myself, with all the talents/glyph boosting it.

What I had gone for was switching all threat stats to mastery, aswell as a little dodge/parry. I ended up with 19% dodge, 17% Parry and 33% Block, believing that the shield tanks had the advantage beforehand on him, so that should continue.

Would there be a better option that I should go for, or is it just likely balance issues that won't be resolved pre-Cataclysm.

I should add that I did the same for my ICC set, and seem to be on par with the other tanks.
Gibbz

Re: Herald of the Titans - Reforging.

Postby Awyndel » Sat Oct 16, 2010 9:47 pm

If you're getting owned that much speccing for WoG talents and using it in the rotation is not a bad idea.

Gear for as much stamina and armor as you can find ofc, the 4 set and the block cap are pretty much the things to go for. Armor legs+ring help.

So basicly you're not doing a whole lot wrong there. If you are constantly not topped off on health I would question your healers a bit though. Are you using 3 of them? Are they using plenty of hots and absorbs on you? Maybe they need some mastery. The healing game has changed a lot. Make sure you discuss you're issue with them as well, it's a team effort to keep you alive.
Awyndel

Postby Awyndel » Thu Oct 28, 2010 7:22 am

Ok well coming back to this issue, since I have been asked to tank it one more time for some friends of mine.

I took my old set out of the bank and I reforged it all into mastery. But even with 2 avoidance trinkets I cannot make the block cap.

I think I could make it with regemming/enchanting. It's gonna cost me about 8K health in total.

So what do ppl think? I can get about 48,4K buffed health I think. Would the block cap be worth 8K health in that case?
Awyndel

Postby Vrimmel » Fri Oct 29, 2010 10:22 am

Not sure. How much magical damge is taken during the fight?
Vrimmel

Postby Digren » Fri Oct 29, 2010 9:53 pm

Is 8k health more or less than 30% of the incoming physical damage in a kill scenario? If reducing incoming damage by 30% saves you only 5k in damage taken in the worst-case scenarios that kill you, then the net effect is a loss. If it saves you 10k damage taken, then the net effect is a gain. Having to trade off any stamina for avoidance to reach the block cap to gain mitigation is a tough choice. For most people with iLvl 264 or better gear, they only have to do so by giving up a very little stamina by matching +9 or maybe +6 stamina socket bonuses. For you it sounds like you have to make a much larger sacrifice.

You might post in the gear advice thread and see if there's a better way to get there. Be sure to explain what you've reforged already as that's not visible in the armory.
Digren

Postby Awyndel » Tue Nov 02, 2010 7:45 am

Well I went in with the stamina setup, lacking about 10% from the block cap. I figured I might as well give it a go before spending too much money on it.

I don't know if block capping would have been better, but with all the magic damage going on I think it would not have made a big enough difference to spent time on calculating. The magic damage moments caused a lapse in healer throughput on the tanks, since they need to triage the raid. So there is a big magic spike there, and a slow death potential afterwards. So it can go either way imo. Just use a cd and all is good.

I have to say it's a bit more chalenging then before the patch. I had to actually use cd's and WoG when there was heavy raid damage, because the healers where a bit busy then. But ppl stood in the right places and I cleaned up constellations very fast, so it was very doable in the end. The healers had to work a bit harder as well, they went oom exactly as the fight ended, job well done imo. For the dps it was a lot easier then before the patch, they didn't have to max gear at all, and we had time left on the enrage. We decided to use a fire mage to take the big bangs, in order for the tanks to be able to preserve their cd's for the tanking phase, that made the tanking very doable.

So all in all I'd say this is still a pretty easy achievement once you have to gear, but your tanks and healers do need to be on the ball since the patch.
Awyndel

Postby Fetzie » Wed Nov 03, 2010 5:59 am

Vrimmel wrote:Not sure. How much magical damge is taken during the fight?

Not much, the dangerous thing is his melee attack (which comes quick and hurts).

btw don't forget the boss gets a hit malus because he dual wields.
Fetzie | Protection Paladin | EU-Kazzak
Author of the TankSpot Protection Paladin Guide
Sagara wrote:You see, you need to *spread* the bun before you insert the hot dog.

bldavis wrote:we are trying to extend it as long as we can...it just never seems to last very long
Fetzie

Postby Awyndel » Thu Nov 04, 2010 6:54 am

Pyrea wrote:
Vrimmel wrote:Not sure. How much magical damge is taken during the fight?

Not much, the dangerous thing is his melee attack (which comes quick and hurts).

btw don't forget the boss gets a hit malus because he dual wields.

Both asumptions are incorrect.

The most dangerous time are when there is large raid damage, because it will ocupy the healers. There is a lot of magic damage in those situations. Actually, the total magic damage taken in the fight is pretty high as well. One can debate wether or not you would need stamina to deal with such a situation, or just mitigation to counter the lack of healer attention. But the presense of magic damage is a fact.

Also, Algalon does not get a hit penalty for dual wielding. He's an exception.
Awyndel

Return to Gear Discussions and Advice