Remove Advertisements

Tanking Rotation in Cataclysm

SPOILERS Discussion about the Cataclysm Beta SPOILERS

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

Re: Tanking Rotation in Cataclysm

Postby Zhuel » Fri Oct 15, 2010 2:46 pm

With the buff to HoW, I'm assuming when a mob is less than 20% then we want to work this spell in? What does it replace or does it become our highest prority (if it doesn't get changed)?
Zhuel

Postby theckhd » Fri Oct 15, 2010 3:52 pm

If the coefficients that Redcape estimated for his ret model are correct, it's our second-highest damage ability behind ShoR, which would make it a pretty high priority. I suspect that our sub-20% rotation will be something like

ShoR>CS>HoW>J>AS

CS-HoW-CS-J-CS-ShoR-

It might be worth prioritizing HoW over J at that point as well, if mana isn't an issue. I could even see prioritizing it over ShoR being a potential increase, since it would increase HoW usage:

CS-HoW-CS-J-CS-HoW-ShoR-CS-J-CS-HoW-CS-ShoR-CS-HoW-CS-J-CS-HoW-ShoR-CS-J-CS-HoW-CS-ShoR

We'll have to see what the sims have to say about it once I update the rest of the spell coefficients.
Last edited by theckhd on Fri Oct 15, 2010 7:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Theck, Bringer of Numbers and Pounding Headaches," courtesy of Grehn|Skipjack.
MATLAB 5.x, Simcraft 6.x, Call to Arms 6.0, Talent Spec & Glyph Guide 5.x, Blog: Sacred Duty
theckhd

Postby Warsadin » Fri Oct 15, 2010 4:07 pm

Theck I think you mean HoW in that second example, not AS.

Since I don't see any reason at all you would make AS a higher priority than Judgement, at any point, ever.
Warsadin

Postby theckhd » Fri Oct 15, 2010 7:42 pm

Warsadin wrote:Theck I think you mean HoW in that second example, not AS.

Oops, yep. Fixed.
"Theck, Bringer of Numbers and Pounding Headaches," courtesy of Grehn|Skipjack.
MATLAB 5.x, Simcraft 6.x, Call to Arms 6.0, Talent Spec & Glyph Guide 5.x, Blog: Sacred Duty
theckhd

Postby Dantriges » Fri Oct 15, 2010 8:08 pm

Seems I have problems with all, cramming all these shiny net buttoms in my bars, without dancing over the whole keyboard.
Dantriges

Postby Warsadin » Fri Oct 15, 2010 8:22 pm

Dantriges wrote:Seems I have problems with all, cramming all these shiny net buttoms in my bars, without dancing over the whole keyboard.

The only thing saving me right now is my Razer Naga.

If I didn't have that I'd have some serious binding issues.
Warsadin

Postby AriKT » Fri Oct 15, 2010 9:01 pm

While it may not be true in the future, level 85 or nerfs, I'm finding the new rotation to be very interesting. My threat is high enough that after about halfway through the fight I can totally drop out ShoR from my rotation and not worry about threat. No Inquisition yet, but I'm finding plently of opportunites to use Word of Glory in conjunction with Guarded by the Light. The damage numbers on Sindragosa Heroic were pretty high, and tank deaths were the reason for our few wipes. I started using WoG shields on top of my cooldowns on seemed to make things easier on the healers, plus saving 3 HoPo for transitions so I could go in with a Shield. The rest of the instance damage was higher, but didn't really notice it and it didn't effect us. Stupid bugs have slowed our normal clearing rate. Gate not opening past DBS, and Debuff falling off lost us at least half of our raid time so far.
AriKT

Postby Thyre » Sat Oct 16, 2010 3:58 am

So after those changes HoW as a GrCrusader proc would be better than AS ? It will not happen i know but i woul so much prefer to use HoW more often istead of AS... AS still fells worng (breaking every animation btw .. just locks silly when used do much)

Btw tanked Taldaram a few days ago ... so when he was not aktiv i coul use HoW ... and the damage was insane. Just fells better than AS in a Rotation.

grettings
Thyre

Postby Noradin » Sat Oct 16, 2010 7:43 am

Dantriges wrote:Seems I have problems with all, cramming all these shiny net buttoms in my bars, without dancing over the whole keyboard.

Use macros with modifiers.
I have 5 buttons (Q, E, mouse wheel button/up/down) for my frequently used abilites. With modifiers thats 40 slots for abilities (even more since most of them only work on either friendly or hostile units), but requires some thinking/training.
Leaves lots of room for everything else.

Not every macro is a castsequence.

(Edit: If only macros would work with spell id. They always take the longest possible tanslation for spell names and sometimes they are not even unique per class making some spells unusable with macros.)
ImageImage
Noradin

Postby Neptuno » Sun Oct 17, 2010 2:30 am

Flex wrote:Are people reporting HotR being >= CS using fast weapons? Only reason I could see that being the case.

20% increase with t10 and 10% increase with glyph... CS glyph is 5% crit to CS, so other than crit rate, the only variance in the observed damage is the differences on the weapon itself, though the latest changes should have buffed CS again. If they'd only give t10 20% CS buff... but then i'd probably use 2pc with ret too.
though from testing on training dummys and the latest blue posts, i can't imagine it's really needed. CS hits like a truck now with a 1.6s vs HotR. I saw HotR hitting for about 1/6 of CS vs training dummy (glyph HotR and 2pc t10)

As for bar space, I find I have more abilities than are comfortable to hit without some new key bindings but I have a lot FEWER spells in general on there. Enough to remove an entire bar even.
Neptuno

Postby Leyani » Tue Oct 19, 2010 2:01 am

AriKT wrote: My threat is high enough that after about halfway through the fight I can totally drop out ShoR from my rotation and not worry about threat. No Inquisition yet, but I'm finding plently of opportunites to use Word of Glory in conjunction with Guarded by the Light. The damage numbers on Sindragosa Heroic were pretty high, and tank deaths were the reason for our few wipes. I started using WoG shields on top of my cooldowns on seemed to make things easier on the healers, plus saving 3 HoPo for transitions so I could go in with a Shield.

That´s actually what I noticed, too. After tanking ICC 25 hm and Halion 10 hm this week I think there´s really no way around WoG. Halfway through pretty much every fight I find tank threat sky rocketing. I´ll test out theck´s recommended talents for a WoG build next week and fully expect my raid healers to be even more thankful for using it than they were this week ^^
Leyani

Postby Mneme » Tue Oct 19, 2010 7:38 pm

I didn't notice if was posted earlier, as I arrived late to the thread, but it looks like Crusader Strike generates Holy Power even if it fails to connect.

22:26:46> Mnemoniq's Crusader Strike was parried by Heroic Training Dummy.
22:26:46> Mnemoniq gains 1 Holy Power from Mnemoniq's Crusader Strike.

22:33:28> Mnemoniq's Crusader Strike misses Heroic Training Dummy.
22:33:28> Mnemoniq gains 1 Holy Power from Mnemoniq's Crusader Strike.

Hammer of the Righteous seems to work the same way, although it does not generate a combat log entry when the main swing fails to connect. The HP generation does appear regardless.

It's very possible that this is old information so please ignore if such.
There are few who deny at what I do I am the best,
For my talents are renowned far and wide.
Mneme

Postby M.C. » Thu Oct 21, 2010 5:16 pm

Mneme wrote:I didn't notice if was posted earlier, as I arrived late to the thread, but it looks like Crusader Strike generates Holy Power even if it fails to connect.

22:26:46> Mnemoniq's Crusader Strike was parried by Heroic Training Dummy.
22:26:46> Mnemoniq gains 1 Holy Power from Mnemoniq's Crusader Strike.

22:33:28> Mnemoniq's Crusader Strike misses Heroic Training Dummy.
22:33:28> Mnemoniq gains 1 Holy Power from Mnemoniq's Crusader Strike.

Hammer of the Righteous seems to work the same way, although it does not generate a combat log entry when the main swing fails to connect. The HP generation does appear regardless.

It's very possible that this is old information so please ignore if such.

I've seen the same thing on Headless Horseman. Hitting him with CS while he is immune (and his head is separated) generates holy power.
M.C.

Postby twinkfist » Fri Oct 22, 2010 7:49 am

i'm finding that i use word of glory...just about all the time....especially right now because of this new patch...healers and other people are going to DC town here and there and sometimes i need to heal myself.
twinkfist

Postby Amirya » Fri Oct 22, 2010 4:36 pm

twinkfist wrote:i'm finding that i use word of glory...just about all the time....especially right now because of this new patch...healers and other people are going to DC town here and there and sometimes i need to heal myself.

I've as yet to use WoG, except at the end of a fight, if I'm bored.

Seriously contemplating moving it off my bars. Maybe I just have superior healers (was nice to hear last night, my healer was bored silly).
Fetzie wrote:The Defias Brotherhood is back, and this time they are acting as racketeers in Goldshire. Anybody wishing to dance for money must now pay them protection money or be charged triple the normal amount when repairing.
Amirya
Maintankadonor

PreviousNext

Return to Cataclysm