Grand Crusader (sort of) off the GCD?

Warning: Theorycraft inside.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, theckhd

Grand Crusader (sort of) off the GCD?

Postby Abnir » Thu Oct 14, 2010 2:52 pm

Due apologies if I somehow overlooked this somewhere on the boards - I try to read things carefully before posting and certainly don't wish to waste anyone's time. That said, I noticed something interesting and potentially very hopeful about Grand Crusader procs and the Global Cool Down. (Yes, I specced it - I wanted something totally new to play with and sometimes when your guild is winding down from raiding and a new patch drops you just gotta play with the new talents regardless of numbers) ;)

A lot of us, myself included, have been wishing it was off the GCD so it wouldn't interfere with 939 and holy power generation. I am now starting to wonder if wishful thinking is getting the better of me, because I tanked five heroics yesterday on live and I noticed that if I hit Avenger's Shield immediately as soon as Grand Crusader procced it would go ahead and fire and the global cool down of CS or HotR would finish as if nothing happened. In other words, hitting Avenger's Shield immediately after Grand Crusader procs lets you have Avenger's Shield off the Global Cool Down. It didn't seem consistent so I tested it on a target dummy a little this afternoon.

I found the following:

1. If Avenger's Shield is already cooled down, you don't get this "free piggyback" on the GCD of Crusader Strike or HotR - you'll get the same rebuttal you get whenever you try to hit two abilities while the GCD is active. In other words, if AS is cooled down naturally, it will interact with the global cooldown like any other ability.

2. Similarly, even if Grand Crusader procs, if AS is already cooled down naturally or if it finishes its 15 second cool down while Grand Crusader procs, you're also out of luck and it interacts normally with the global cool down, meaning you can't hit it without it interacting with the global cool down.

But if Avenger's Shield is in the midst of cooling down and nowhere near completion and you get a Grand Crusader proc and hit Avenger's Shield immediately after the proc (while CS or HotR are still finishing their own GCD) your shield toss is immediate. It won't throw off your holy power generation and is threat gravy. If I'm not imagining things, that is.

I don't think I am, however. I notice that we get a very fast (< 2 second) buff called "Grand Crusader" with the talent icon (the T2 Helm graphic) that lasts, to the best of my ability to tell, about as long as the remainder of the GCD of CS or HotR. So I'm beginning to wonder if this is perfectly intended in the design given the way the icon shows among my buffs and the way a Grand Crusader proc means an immediate Avenger's Shield as long as it's hit while the global cool down of HotR or CS is still happening.

I sincerely apologize I don't have video or parses to share and I absolutely don't intend to waste anyone's time with an anecdotal report and no numbers. I did think this would be easy enough for anyone else to test and if it were true it would be very significant - it would mean fast reaction time with Grand Crusader when Avenger's Shield is cooling down would keep it from interfering with the pace of Holy Power generation. Is this already news to everyone and I missed it? Is my wishful thinking getting the better of me? I'd love to hear from others about this.
Prot specced since May 2006.
Abnir

Re: Grand Crusader (sort of) off the GCD?

Postby Redleg » Thu Oct 14, 2010 8:03 pm

I tried this several times just now and I can not reproduce that. If I hit Avenger's Shield immediately when Grand Crusader procs, the GCD works as usual, and then I hit crusader strike as it's coming off cooldown (which happens to be the same time the GCD is finished also). If it was off the GCD then we'd be able to fit a Judgment in there before CS comes off cooldown, but I am just not seeing that behavior. I could be missing something though.
Redleg

Postby Abnir » Thu Oct 14, 2010 8:43 pm

Thanks for checking - I think I'm truly losing my mind because when I tested again this evening I couldn't replicate it either. Either I was confusing the CD of Crusader Strike for the GCD, I was getting lag on all my GCD's last night when I thought I saw it, or something. Sorry for wasting anyone else's time with this. Time to get some decent sleep, Abnir.
Prot specced since May 2006.
Abnir

Postby Awyndel » Thu Oct 14, 2010 10:42 pm

Could be a hotfix.
Awyndel

Postby Fenneddar » Fri Oct 15, 2010 12:16 am

Yup I can confirm this was bugged and now fixed. I was seeing the same issue yesterday, where it was possible to launch off an AS technically before the GCD was up. There is always a visual delay in the GC icon animation on Avengers, but in that one second window after the animation lit up when the buff icon was active, it was clearly off the cooldown and ready to be used. Hence why I was thinking everyone was crazy for not prioritizing AS above all else in their rotation whenever they could, to get it actively cooling down. I was getting WAY more AS casts off over a period of time than I should have been.

The last time I was on beta was a month ago and I just assumed it was the natural functionality when the live patch hit xD.
Fenneddar

Postby Candiru » Mon Oct 18, 2010 10:26 am

Their code probably just ran:

(if Avenger's shield CD is not up) set Avenger's Shield CD to 0

which would set it to 0 even if the GCD was still going on. Looks like an easy coding logic mistake to make!
Candiru

Return to Advanced Theorycraft and Calculations