Tanking Rotation in Cataclysm

SPOILERS Discussion about the Cataclysm Beta SPOILERS

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

Re: Tanking Rotation in Cataclysm

Postby Neptuno » Tue Oct 12, 2010 3:16 pm

fear the level 88 skull skull bad skull raid boss! if it's not a 3 headed monster, it won't make any sense at all.
Neptuno

Postby theckhd » Tue Oct 12, 2010 4:53 pm

While that's in the plans, as far as I'm aware there is no boss expertise scaling implemented at level 80. I suspect they won't bother doing that until bosses at 85, and most likely it will be done by tier for simplicity (i.e. every boss in the T11 instance has 6.5% dodge and 14% parry, every boss in the T12 instance has 7% dodge and 15.5% parry, and so on).
"Theck, Bringer of Numbers and Pounding Headaches," courtesy of Grehn|Skipjack.
MATLAB 5.x, Simcraft 6.x, Call to Arms 6.0, Talent Spec & Glyph Guide 5.x, Blog: Sacred Duty
theckhd

Postby Dambrath » Tue Oct 12, 2010 5:12 pm

Haste - Haste should now be more attractive for melee classes by allowing them to recover resources such as rage, energy, and runes more quickly. Our intention is for Haste to let you "do stuff" more often.

Is anyone else a bit ticked off that this doesn't help our Holy Power? I know that 'technically' its not the same thing, but allowing the 3 other tanks a faster way to regen their main resource hardly seems fair to me. I guess mana is our main resource so it doesnt count but I feel like we are getting stooged the way hunters were for years the way they did physical damage but used mana. We are a melee class that uses mana but now with Holy Power too.

I think being able to "do stuff more often" would sure help a little towards the fact that we take a bit to ramp up in our threat output.
Dambrath

Postby Lieris » Tue Oct 12, 2010 5:20 pm

Dambrath wrote:
Haste - Haste should now be more attractive for melee classes by allowing them to recover resources such as rage, energy, and runes more quickly. Our intention is for Haste to let you "do stuff" more often.

Is anyone else a bit ticked off that this doesn't help our Holy Power? I know that 'technically' its not the same thing, but allowing the 3 other tanks a faster way to regen their main resource hardly seems fair to me. I guess mana is our main resource so it doesnt count but I feel like we are getting stooged the way hunters were for years the way they did physical damage but used mana. We are a melee class that uses mana but now with Holy Power too.

I think being able to "do stuff more often" would sure help a little towards the fact that we take a bit to ramp up in our threat output.

It does help Holy Power, at least for ret. More haste means lower cooldown on CS and more auto attacks.

As for tanks, we're not going to want haste anyway. It's irrelevant.
Lieris
Maintankadonor

Postby Dantriges » Tue Oct 12, 2010 5:28 pm

Unless they put haste on tank gear it wouldn´t matter anyways or if you want to reforge. :wink:
Dantriges

Postby Dambrath » Tue Oct 12, 2010 5:32 pm

Dantriges wrote:Unless they put haste on tank gear it wouldn´t matter anyways or if you want to reforge. :wink:

Good Point. I should think things through rather than reading something when I've just woken up and still 1/2 asleep and raging over it ><
Dambrath

Postby Vossi » Wed Oct 13, 2010 12:30 am

Does the 3s CD on CS not make it to the live servers?

Refering to the official patchnotes its again 4,5s.
Vossi

Postby Arjuna » Wed Oct 13, 2010 12:36 am

Vossi wrote:Does the 3s CD on CS not make it to the live servers?

Refering to the official patchnotes its again 4,5s.

ooh, big question, would be awesome to know before the servers go up today in the EU!

Anyone got an answer for that? How is in on the US servers?
HUZZAH! How many points do I receive? :D
Arjuna

Postby steadypal » Wed Oct 13, 2010 12:40 am

thats interesting i noticed a bit of dead time to...

can anyone confirm or deny? 3sec tooltip but spells still on 4.5 timer?
steadypal

Postby Arjuna » Wed Oct 13, 2010 1:17 am

did a topic in general, the answer seemed to be 3 sec... :)
HUZZAH! How many points do I receive? :D
Arjuna

Postby mclem » Wed Oct 13, 2010 2:25 am

Phonic wrote:
Kelaan wrote:I like that idea. Respeccing at 85 for more CD reduction sounds good.

Sorry, you can't really skip SotT as a talent. We need the 9 sec reduction in AS CD in order for it to fit our 939. I guess you can try to solely rely on GC procs, but that would defeat the purpose of the proc if you had to wait to fit it in anyways (just like now).

Just to dredge this up again, is my maths wrong, or is two points in SotT (i.e. 18s on AS, not 15s) sufficient to get the rotation correct? How does a 20s reduction in cooldown on Avenging Wrath compete with other potential threat talent point placements?
mclem

Postby Dantriges » Wed Oct 13, 2010 4:14 am

If youwant a loner cd on guardian. Perhapsfpr 80 but 85?

Well doesn´t matter anyways,it probably gets reset a few times if you use GC.
Dantriges

Postby mclem » Wed Oct 13, 2010 4:53 am

Dantriges wrote:If youwant a loner cd on guardian. Perhapsfpr 80 but 85?

Well doesn´t matter anyways,it probably gets reset a few times if you use GC.

I was specifically thinking pre-85, yeah. It got lost a bit in the quote tree but that was the original impetus for the suggestion.

Edit: I've posted about it in the talent spec theorycraft thread; it's not so much a rotation question any more as a talent one.
mclem

Postby econ21 » Wed Oct 13, 2010 7:27 am

Anyone care to comment on the opening moves of a pull, before we settle into our rotation? I've started a thread on this in the Basic Training forum:

http://maintankadin.failsafedesign.com/ ... =viewtopic

I'm interested in things like which move(s) we should use to start a puall: exorcism, hand of reckoning, judgement or avenger shield? And how exactly we should sequence the opening moves to that we can slide smoothing in the rotation with minimal disruption? Please discuss in the above thread if interested.
econ21

Postby theckhd » Wed Oct 13, 2010 7:44 am

It's been brought to my attention (by Marblehead) that HotR is hitting for more than CS, even against a single target. While this shouldn't have any effect on the rest of the rotation, it does mean that you'll likely see a threat increase by using HotR instead of CS. This is dependent on AP though, so it may not be true unless Vengeance is stacked a bit. I suggest testing on a dummy first just to see if they're close.

I'm going to go back and check some of the other calculations to make sure this doesn't change anything else. One thing that will significantly change in value if we never cast CS is Wrath of the Lightbringer.

I'm sort of hoping this is just a stupid oversight on their part, but unfortunately the only way to fix it is to nerf the nova damage of HotR (and thus nerf our AoE threat) or buff Crusader Strike.
"Theck, Bringer of Numbers and Pounding Headaches," courtesy of Grehn|Skipjack.
MATLAB 5.x, Simcraft 6.x, Call to Arms 6.0, Talent Spec & Glyph Guide 5.x, Blog: Sacred Duty
theckhd

PreviousNext

Return to Cataclysm