Remove Advertisements

4.0.1 Talent Builds -- always subject to change

How to get started.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, lythac

Re: 4.0.1 Talent Builds -- always subject to change

Postby Huon » Mon Oct 11, 2010 6:43 pm

Darielle wrote:I will say that chain-chugging Destro Pots to do leet sub-2k dps as a Shadow Priest was FUN.

And I will say that chain chugging mana pot to be able to get ZA bears was fun too :lol:

(Sorry to further derail!)
Huon

Postby Treck » Tue Oct 12, 2010 7:13 am

How are these 4.0 builds when they all require you to be lvl 85?
Treck

Postby Xanthoren » Tue Oct 12, 2010 7:25 am

I was wondering the same thing. Those build are all for level 85.

When the servers come up tonight, I'll be using:
http://wowtal.com/#k=-wc32I1.a5o.paladin.
Xanthoren

Postby Treck » Tue Oct 12, 2010 7:50 am

Im more along the lines of:
http://wowtal.com/#k=-kfFd8ub.a5o.paladin.
Word of glory seems pretty useless. I can definately see it beeing useless on some fights, and weather its worth using in a regular build or not, depends a bit on threat aswell.
2/2 in imp judgement might very likely go into filling up reckoning instead. As more ranged on judgement is nice, but for prot, its not gonna change much really.
Altho imp consecration 2/2 is prolly nessecary to not go oom to fast.
Imo, the usefullness of WoG is so dependant on how the threat is going to look like that its hard knowing atm, but if threat is more than fine, WoG looks pretty ok to specc for.
Im asuming not tho, let the healers heal, i like that we do have the choice tho.
Treck

Postby Cinaed » Tue Oct 12, 2010 8:25 am

http://wowtal.com/#k=CsnAJS2.a5o.paladin.RZ3rnu

Thinking of trying this out first.
Everything I've read/heard insofar as Paladin Tanking issues revolve around threat, so.... do what we can to max out threat?
Cinaed

Postby Treck » Tue Oct 12, 2010 8:32 am

Atleast they want threat to be an "issue" to work with in cata, however if you wanna maximize your threat, you might wanna take Wrath of the lightbringer, and prolly another point in reckoning instead of arbiter of the light, since 6% more crit on judgement, is prolly not gonna be much of a noticable number.
Treck

Postby Xanthoren » Tue Oct 12, 2010 8:45 am

Cinaed wrote:http://wowtal.com/#k=CsnAJS2.a5o.paladin.RZ3rnu

Everything I've read/heard insofar as Paladin Tanking issues revolve around threat, so.... do what we can to max out threat?

Wrath of the Lightbringer is, far far more threat than Hallowed Ground, especially against single targets (where it matters most). Also, I just can't see 12% crit on Judgement only being that huge a threat boost (purely anecdotal, I have no math to back up that statement).
Last edited by Xanthoren on Tue Oct 12, 2010 11:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Xanthoren

Postby theckhd » Tue Oct 12, 2010 8:47 am

Xanthoren wrote:(purely anecdotal, I have no math to back up that statement).

Now you do.

"Theck, Bringer of Numbers and Pounding Headaches," courtesy of Grehn|Skipjack.
MATLAB 5.x, Simcraft 6.x, Call to Arms 6.0, Talent Spec & Glyph Guide 5.x, Blog: Sacred Duty
theckhd

Postby Xanthoren » Tue Oct 12, 2010 9:07 am

Theck, you're too awesome for words. I hadn't had a chance to get over and check out your stuff yet, but I could have saved some time if I had.

I am glad to know that my totally non-scientific intuition had it right about which talents are best for threat, though.

I have to say, that while Arbiter of the Light is technically a bit higher threat than Hallowed Ground, Hallowed Ground is a better choice for me because it will be far better on AoE tanking (this is still Wrath for the moment, so AoE all that ICC trash), not to mention the mana savings.
Xanthoren

Postby Cinaed » Tue Oct 12, 2010 10:20 am

Xanthoren wrote:
Cinaed wrote:http://wowtal.com/#k=CsnAJS2.a5o.paladin.RZ3rnu

Wrath of the Lightbringer is, I think, far for threat than Hallowed Ground, especially against single targets (where it matters most). Also, I just can't see 12% crit on Judgement only being that huge a threat boost (purely anecdotal, I have no math to back up that statement).

http://wowtal.com/#k=-wCXGqY.a5o.paladin.RZ3rnu

I figured I missed something.

Any thoughts on the glyphs?
Cinaed

Postby Phonic » Tue Oct 12, 2010 10:31 am

When I log in tonight, my first spec is going to be:

http://cata.wowhead.com/talent#sZRrhcRddRRuMb:so0VwRmMV

Basically I'm taking the WoG talents and even glyphing Long Word too, just to see how it feels. Definitely reckoning and definitely no Hallowed Ground. I am still taking GC as I'm going to glyph it for ST fights. I'm hoping for a good fix soon, would love to use AS more often without feeling "penalized" for losing dps/tps.

For the other glyphs, atm I'm going SotR, Judgement, SoT. I'll swap SotR for HotR for AOE fights and lose the focused shield for either dazing or maybe even HOJ... I dunno, I feel like our Majors are very lackluster. I will pick up the HW dragonkin/elemental when Cata hits as I hear they will definitely be more of those.
Phonic

Postby Sabindeus » Tue Oct 12, 2010 10:35 am

From the known issues thread on the official forums:

Divine Guardian is reducing the damage the Paladin takes by 20% instead of reducing the damage his party members take by 20%.

Woo, free cooldown
Turn In, an NPC interaction automator - http://wow.curse.com/downloads/wow-addo ... rn-in.aspx
Sabindeus

Postby Phonic » Tue Oct 12, 2010 10:37 am

Oh and since we haven't downed Halion yet on Heroic... this is gonna be my "magical/max survivability" spec:

http://cata.wowhead.com/talent#scZGrhcRzdRMub:socwVMmMV

Takes EfaE in ret and PotI in Holy, no other threat talents there. Drops Reckoning to get max Divinity, keeps all WoG talents and adds the WoG Prime glyph for another 10%. Also, no DG either as raid doesn't take much damage in that fight unless people are doing something very wrong. Finally, DP major for the extra Magical reduction.
Phonic

Postby Treck » Tue Oct 12, 2010 12:36 pm

Phonic wrote:Oh and since we haven't downed Halion yet on Heroic... this is gonna be my "magical/max survivability" spec:

http://cata.wowhead.com/talent#scZGrhcRzdRMub:socwVMmMV

Takes EfaE in ret and PotI in Holy, no other threat talents there. Drops Reckoning to get max Divinity, keeps all WoG talents and adds the WoG Prime glyph for another 10%. Also, no DG either as raid doesn't take much damage in that fight unless people are doing something very wrong. Finally, DP major for the extra Magical reduction.

Dont, just Dont.
EfaE might be an "ok" threat talent, but it wont reduce dmg taken, and it wont do much other than a 5k hit once every like 15sec.
PotI is useless for tanks, your not gonna go around throwing any heals, eather your OTing and not busy at one point and can heal, but then your heal on yourself will be wasted anyway since your not tanking, and IF it proccs on LoH, then grats, LoH will now heal you up to 100% instead of 100%.
Since the fight isnt threatheavy, esp not tanking outside, id say its a worthy fight for getting the WoG talents and helping the healers out.
Skipping DG since the raid doesnt take damage? what?
People runnig with the shadowdebuff are risky a lot of the times, esp during a spinn, When some healer or even the addtank in the firerealm are running with the debuff, someone could need those 20%.
Lastly, i dont know what other major glyphs there are, but the Divine protection glyph will more likely end up killing you than doing you any good.
Thats like preparing for a nuklear strike with sunglasses, since the bright light could make you go blind, but its really not "that" dangerous.
Last word also seems like a poor choice of glyph, since you need a big heal at one point when the healers cant heal you for whatever reason they got, you dont need another hot that the healers are gonna make useless 2sec later when they got things under control again, and if they havnt gotten it under control by then, well the glyph wont help you any more, not to mention that the heal fully specced for it, heals for about 9-11k (did on PTR), thats not even 20% of your health.
Treck

Postby Redleg » Tue Oct 12, 2010 12:58 pm

Treck wrote:PotI is useless for tanks, your not gonna go around throwing any heals, eather your OTing and not busy at one point and can heal, but then your heal on yourself will be wasted anyway since your not tanking, and IF it proccs on LoH, then grats, LoH will now heal you up to 100% instead of 100%.

PotI does add to your self healing from WoG also. I'm not saying I'd take it at level 80, but at 85 when you have more points to spend, it may be useful in a max survivability build.
Redleg

PreviousNext

Return to Basic Training & Talents