4.01 gear guide?

Get help with your character's gear

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, majiben, lythac, Digren

Re: 4.01 gear guide?

Postby Flitter » Sun Oct 10, 2010 6:50 am

HOLY F***ING BATMAN

I just went over some items and couldn't believe my eyes :shock:

This is crazy!

Going from [Titansteel Shield Wall] to [Icecrown Glacial Wall] resulted in 1732 additional armor over 77 itemlevels.
In 4.0.1 going from [Titansteel Shield Wall] to [Icecrown Glacial Wall] resultes in 942 additional armor over 77 itemlevels.

The Glacial Wall alone lost 1563 armor. And that basically happened to every other tank item out there. Makes you wonder if they changed something about the armor/damage calculation.
Flitter

Postby sculder » Sun Oct 10, 2010 7:12 am

bjanssen wrote:I'm really looking forward to your guide Digren but it isn't going to be quite what I was asking for help with.

What I'm trying to figure out is what gear I want for the 6 weeks that I'll be expected to be a viable tank between 4.01 and Cataclysm. That's a lot of wipes if I get it wrong :(.

Belt of broken bones versus verdigris belt is the kind of thing I was thinking about but I don't have enough experience with comparing gear to do more than guess.

The bis list is still fairly accurate. The major change you'll notice is the losses in bonus armor, wich makes 277 items more attractive than the 264 bonus armor pieces. On progression or even just more difficult fights I would use the bracers, belt, pants, and cloak with bonus armor, as the EH gain is tremendous compared to the minimal lost HP. Post 4.0.1, I will be using all of my 277 pieces on just about every fight, because the loss in bonus armor makes those pieces less attractive due to the loss of EH contributions.

So the bottom line is that if you have access to 277 pieces that you might not have used on progression and instead would use bonus armor gear, you should use the 277 pieces. If your choices are between the 264 bonus armor gear and some other 264 gear (or no other choices at all), then they are still very acceptable gear choices, just not quite as good as their 277 counterparts.

Hope this clears the water a little bit for you.
sculder

Postby polonadis » Sun Oct 10, 2010 10:33 am

bjanssen wrote:With 4.01 dropping very soon I've been trying to figure out what will change and how it will affect my tanking. The talent guide is really great but I can't find any information about what will happen to gear. Even if gear doesn't change at all surely the new talents will change some gear choices.

So has anyone worked up a gear guide for the couple of months of playing between 4.01 and Cataclysm?

maybe this guide will interest you : http://maintankadin.failsafedesign.com/ ... =viewtopic
polonadis

Previous

Return to Gear Discussions and Advice