Ask a beta tester thread

SPOILERS Discussion about the Cataclysm Beta SPOILERS

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

Re: Ask a beta tester thread

Postby Arianne » Tue Oct 05, 2010 1:52 pm

tlitp wrote:Next question. Has anyone ever spotted block events on :
  • Judgement
  • HoW
  • seals (that have a damage-component, obviously)

My latest HoW testing log shows a couple of blocks on the IF Heroic dummy for HoW.
I don't remember seeing blocks on SoT or on judgement though.
Arianne

Postby theckhd » Tue Oct 05, 2010 5:49 pm

AS is on the "ranged" hit table (it crits for 2x damage and can only be missed, not parried or dodged) on both live and beta.
"Theck, Bringer of Numbers and Pounding Headaches," courtesy of Grehn|Skipjack.
MATLAB 5.x, Simcraft 6.x, Call to Arms 6.0, Talent Spec & Glyph Guide 5.x, Blog: Sacred Duty
theckhd

Postby Flex » Tue Oct 05, 2010 7:27 pm

Loras wrote:Also, are still consecration and AS on the spell hit table (and with consecration being able to 'miss' only for its first tick, the rest being 100% hit no matter what)? If AS still is, then it s*cks donkey balls :/

AS has never been on spell hit.
Consecration hasn't been like that since WotLK was released.
We live in a society where people born on third base constantly try to steal second, yet we expect people born with two strikes against them to hit a homerun on the first pitch.
Flex

Postby Loras » Wed Oct 06, 2010 8:06 am

double posts ftw
Last edited by Loras on Wed Oct 06, 2010 8:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Loras

Postby Loras » Wed Oct 06, 2010 8:15 am

Spell hit does affect this spell meaningfully. This is a reversal of consecrates independence from spell hit Pre-3.0. New tests from Elitist Jerks shows that Consecrate ticks can miss. If the first tick misses, it will show up as a Miss in the floating combat text, but subsequent misses will not show up in the combat log. In the event of a miss or misses you will see fewer than 8 ticks during the time consecrate is active.

from Wowwiki. Don't how how much true that is.

As for Avenger Shield, I can't remember reading somewhere if it's spell-hit based, but I'm pretty convinced I've seen it miss on trash (sub-83 mobs) with 278 hit rating, no debuffs.

Also: http://img380.imageshack.us/img380/6085 ... oldsb2.jpg - a GM confirming it's spell-hit based. Might have been a while ago, but it doesn't mean it's "never" been on spell hit.
Loras

Postby Chicken » Wed Oct 06, 2010 11:24 am

theckhd wrote:AS is on the "ranged" hit table (it crits for 2x damage and can only be missed, not parried or dodged) on both live and beta.
It should be noted that while ranged attacks can't be dodged or parried, they can normally be blocked. Previously this hasn't really come to play since the flat damage reduction block provided for mobs was never particularly high, but if mobs have moved to a similar 30% damage reduction on block scheme as players have it'll have a noticeable impact even if mob block chances aren't very high.
Chicken

Postby Flex » Wed Oct 06, 2010 2:06 pm

Loras wrote:from Wowwiki. Don't how how much true that is.

As for Avenger Shield, I can't remember reading somewhere if it's spell-hit based, but I'm pretty convinced I've seen it miss on trash (sub-83 mobs) with 278 hit rating, no debuffs.

Also: http://img380.imageshack.us/img380/6085 ... oldsb2.jpg - a GM confirming it's spell-hit based. Might have been a while ago, but it doesn't mean it's "never" been on spell hit.

That is completely right, except I don't think it'll show a miss anywhere now in WotLK. Each tick is an independent event.

Ever since I've started raiding AS has not been spell hit. It always crit the sitting ghosts in Moroes' room. Auto-Crit = physical attack table.
We live in a society where people born on third base constantly try to steal second, yet we expect people born with two strikes against them to hit a homerun on the first pitch.
Flex

Postby Sabindeus » Wed Oct 06, 2010 2:09 pm

Loras wrote:Also: http://img380.imageshack.us/img380/6085 ... oldsb2.jpg - a GM confirming it's spell-hit based. Might have been a while ago, but it doesn't mean it's "never" been on spell hit.

GMs are pretty much the worst sources for information about game mechanics. Sorry.
Turn In, an NPC interaction automator - http://wow.curse.com/downloads/wow-addo ... rn-in.aspx
Sabindeus

Postby Noradin » Wed Oct 06, 2010 2:57 pm

AS is a ranged (elemental) attack and cannot be doged or parried because of the "ranged" part and cannot be blocked because of the old implemention of the "elemental" part.
ImageImage
Noradin

Postby pyrrhician » Sat Oct 09, 2010 2:16 am

So, random question. How feasible would it be to slap on ret gear including a 2hander and use it to level with when not instancing, using all holy power for WoG? What with the new 3s CS, could someone try it out when it becomes available on beta?
pyrrhician

Postby Adryl » Sat Oct 09, 2010 12:37 pm

I have a question about Holy Paladins. As of Live a majority (as well as myself) of holy paladins purely gem for Int (with the exception being for the meta gem). Now with the change of MP5 being ousted for Spirit, will gemming strictly int be such a boon? Right now I've been replacing a few of my int for SP on live (40k mana is nice but rarely use all of it). Anyone have a chance to look into this?
Adryl

Postby Loras » Sat Oct 09, 2010 1:48 pm

Also I remember reading that since haste will affect focus/energy/rune regeneration, there'll be a tweak for Enh shammies and Ret paladins so that haste affects their resources too. Is it only in the form of a hasted CS (thus improving the generation of the HoPo resource), or there's still something planned for haste to somehow affect mana gain too?
Loras

Postby Staryx » Sat Oct 09, 2010 2:21 pm

Loras wrote:Also I remember reading that since haste will affect focus/energy/rune regeneration, there'll be a tweak for Enh shammies and Ret paladins so that haste affects their resources too. Is it only in the form of a hasted CS (thus improving the generation of the HoPo resource), or there's still something planned for haste to somehow affect mana gain too?

GC did state that haste will affect the mana regen ticks of Judgements of the Wise/Bold. However, that post (linked below) is about 3 months old at this point. Something may have changed, and I can't sniff out anything more updated from GC at the moment.

http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/thread.html?topicId=26262866202&postId=262601734906&sid=1#233

edit: I can click on the right BBCode things, really I can.
Staryx

Postby Archeth » Sat Oct 09, 2010 5:59 pm

Adryl wrote:I have a question about Holy Paladins. As of Live a majority (as well as myself) of holy paladins purely gem for Int (with the exception being for the meta gem). Now with the change of MP5 being ousted for Spirit, will gemming strictly int be such a boon? Right now I've been replacing a few of my int for SP on live (40k mana is nice but rarely use all of it). Anyone have a chance to look into this?

From what I gather int is still going to be the superior stat overall. Right now we want it because SP is a poor throughput stat for HL healing and because most of our regen tools are intellect-based (divine plea, replenishment, start mana). With 4.x rules the regen tools are nerfed (divine plea is borderline useless for holy and replenishment is weaker as well), but holy paladins gain spirit regen, and intellect also helps with that. In addition, the SP part of intellect is going to be worth more (a lot more?) as it's a HPM increase as well (unlike haste) and reliable (unlike crit).

People on EJ seem convinced that at least the initial part of our stat weights is intellect > spirit - the debates are mostly centered around haste (faster OOM vs. faster HL leading to less FoL/DL use and some HS cooldown interaction), crit (unreliable, no mana regen function anymore vs. free HPS increase) and mastery (sounds good on paper vs. not rolling shields and diminishing returns if tank avoidance increases).
Archeth

Postby Darielle » Sat Oct 09, 2010 6:06 pm

Loras wrote:Also I remember reading that since haste will affect focus/energy/rune regeneration, there'll be a tweak for Enh shammies and Ret paladins so that haste affects their resources too. Is it only in the form of a hasted CS (thus improving the generation of the HoPo resource), or there's still something planned for haste to somehow affect mana gain too?

Judgments of the Bold/Wise both scale with haste, as does Ret's Mastery.
Darielle

PreviousNext

Return to Cataclysm