Race to 85...but wait..

SPOILERS Discussion about the Cataclysm Beta SPOILERS

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

Race to 85...but wait..

Postby towelliee » Wed Oct 06, 2010 5:48 am

I live on the West coast and East coast players get a full 3 hour start. I am very disappointed blizzard has not mentioned this. I was hoping that since the expansion falls on a Tuesday there would be some sort of maintenance to make servers go live at same time for all US Regions.
towelliee

Re: Race to 85...but wait..

Postby Nikachelle » Wed Oct 06, 2010 6:22 am

Don't worry - The European servers will get an entire SIX HOURS head start against the eastern most North American realm.
Nikachelle
Maintankadonor

Postby Chinaman » Wed Oct 06, 2010 6:29 am

Three hours! HA! Try two years friend!
Chinaman

Postby edsdame » Wed Oct 06, 2010 6:31 am

Chinaman wrote:Three hours! HA! Try two years friend!

Win.
edsdame

Postby Nikachelle » Wed Oct 06, 2010 6:32 am

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAAH
Nikachelle
Maintankadonor

Postby Autofollow » Wed Oct 06, 2010 6:32 am

I wouldn't think that 3 or 6 hours would be that much of a head start though. I think it's going to be more about stamina over the long haul, like who can stay awake for 3 days straight to grind without going to sleep and who can't.

If it's the achievement you're thinking about I don't think there are any for WW firsts, only per server so the EU servers shouldn't matter for that.

Tortoise and Hare FTW
Autofollow

Postby PsiVen » Wed Oct 06, 2010 6:43 am

towelliee wrote:East coast players get a full 3 hour start

What makes you think this?

Historically the only advantage at best is that stores will sell you the game after midnight on the east coast (3 hours before it's live), which is maybe a 30-45min head start depending on how long it'll take you on the west coast to get home and install.
Gladiator Psiven, Retired Tankadin
WoW-sober since March 2014
Longtime addict of Space - Glory Through Conquest
PsiVen

Postby Valkia » Wed Oct 06, 2010 7:27 am

PsiVen wrote:

Historically the only advantage at best is that stores will sell you the game after midnight on the east coast (3 hours before it's live), which is maybe a 30-45min head start depending on how long it'll take you on the west coast to get home and install.

In the scheme of things, I guess it is an advantage, I play on a west coast server but live in Kansas (Central Time Zone). So when Burning Crusade came out, I got the game at 12:15 roughly, installed and online about 30 min later, I was the only Blood Elf Paladin around for a very long time, probably 1.5 hours. I cleared the starting zone and had most of the next zone done before others were starting.

Although for Cataclysm, I don't see the impact as being as large, the leveling doesn't seem as difficult this time.
"I would rather suffer 40 seconds of bloodlust and feel sorry about it for 10 min than be Heroic for 40 seconds and a coward rest of the time." Go Horde.
Valkia

Postby towelliee » Wed Oct 06, 2010 7:34 am

PsiVen wrote:

Not sure what you're talking about on this one.

- I live on the West Coast.
- Game is launched in the USA midnight Eastern Time.
- FOR ME this is 9pm PST, I still have 3 hours to wait to grab my copy
- East Coast players will be 3 hours in, once I get my copy at midnight.

I remember I lived in NJ when WOTLK launched. Got my copy at midnight installed was in my server by 1am EST which to PST is still 10...
towelliee

Postby towelliee » Wed Oct 06, 2010 7:37 am

Chinaman wrote:Three hours! HA! Try two years friend!

and omg LOL
towelliee

Postby PsiVen » Wed Oct 06, 2010 7:41 am

I distinctly remember WotLK servers not coming online until midnight PST, and there were very few people on when I started leveling at 12:30. Maybe I'm crazy though. Is it by timezone of the server?
Gladiator Psiven, Retired Tankadin
WoW-sober since March 2014
Longtime addict of Space - Glory Through Conquest
PsiVen

Postby lakhesis » Wed Oct 06, 2010 7:42 am

I'm just hoping they implement digital downloads at a similar time to US release.

Having many/most of the server firsts on oceanic servers go to US based players cos we get the release roughly 12-20 hours behind the US is a bit depressing.
When society says jump, we say pass the salt.
lakh's armory
lakhesis

Postby Valkia » Wed Oct 06, 2010 7:48 am

PsiVen wrote:I distinctly remember WotLK servers not coming online until midnight PST, and there were very few people on when I started leveling at 12:30. Maybe I'm crazy though. Is it by timezone of the server?

Might have been your server, but even for WotLK, mine was up by 1 am Central and we were ruling Borean Tundra for about an hour and a half, which didnt mean much, hehe.

I dont know how much an hour or three will make is the only issue. I mean, I take time off work and ironman the first day or so, then I slacked off a bit and went back to work, and I still was raiding by the weekend. I guess if you really want that Server First achievement it matters!
"I would rather suffer 40 seconds of bloodlust and feel sorry about it for 10 min than be Heroic for 40 seconds and a coward rest of the time." Go Horde.
Valkia

Postby Korola » Wed Oct 06, 2010 7:49 am

If they follow suit with Starcraft II - you should be able to download it ahead of time, activate when it goes live, and log in.

You can download Starcraft 2 client for free currently at this Battle.net site which explains simply that on July 27 2010 you will be able to buy and activate the Starcraft 2 client which you have downloaded ahead of time. Why is this useful? There are lots of people who will want to avoid queues and just want to download Starcraft 2′s digital version. Another benefit to download Starcraft II Wings of liberty online is that as soon as the clock hits 10 AM PDT – you can almost instantly start playing the game you’ve been waiting for so long.

There is no doubt that millions of people will be trying to play this as soon as possible, so go ahead and download Starcraft 2 as soon as you can before the Battle.net servers start clogging up. For Starcraft 2 digital download problems – go to the new and improve Battle Net homepage.

Article © BGN – All Rights Reserved
Korola
Maintankadonor

Postby towelliee » Wed Oct 06, 2010 7:51 am

PsiVen wrote:I distinctly remember WotLK servers not coming online until midnight PST, and there were very few people on when I started leveling at 12:30. Maybe I'm crazy though. Is it by timezone of the server?

I'm 100% positive of that night:

12:10am I got my game
12:30 I got home
12:45 game installed (give or take might have been 25 minute install)
1:00am or so was on Detheroc Horde leveling. Central Server.
Last edited by towelliee on Wed Oct 06, 2010 8:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
towelliee

Next

Return to Cataclysm