Talent Build for new patch and CaT

How to get started.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, lythac

Talent Build for new patch and CaT

Postby Prettysweet » Sun Oct 03, 2010 4:22 pm

Ok this is just the first draft of what i guess will be many of what i will be speced for tanking in 4.0.0 and going into CaT, i will make comments on what and why i have done this set up. Thoughts and input please

Level 85 Paladin (3/31/7)

Protection (31 Points)

Divinity - Rank 1/3
Increases all healing done by you and all healing effects on you by 2% (only 1 point to get to tier 2 other 2 talents to me are alot more important atm although this can change depending on working merchanics of Word of glory spell)

Seals of the Pure - Rank 2/2
Increases the damage done by your Seal of Righeousness, Seal of Truth and Seal of Justice by 12%. (speaks for itself really more damage = more threat)

Eternal Glory - Rank 2/2
Your Word of Glory has a 30% chance not to consume Holy Power. (This talent is the one i am most unsure about and reading up on forums has caused most discusssion over its a like it or loath it talent. i guess the answer is how often will we use Word of Glory as it has a 30% chance not to consume the all important HP i includeed it over 2 more points in Divinity)

Judgements of the Just - Rank 2/2
Your Judgement reduces the melee and ranged attack speed of the target by 20% for 20 sec. In addition, increases the duration of your Seal of Justice effect by 1 sec. ( once again easy choice less attack speed from target = less damage for me )

Toughness - Rank 3/3
Increases your armor value from items by 10%. (no brainer here more armour less damage)

Hallowed Ground - Rank 1/2
Increases the damage of your Consecration by 20% and decreases its mana cost by 40%. (another one cause for thought, with the revamp of the spell and its cool down i choose only to put 1 point in it, Depending on how it sits in fights i may even be removed for another point in divinty)

Sanctuary - Rank 3/3
Reduces the chance you'll be critically hit by melee attacks by 6% and reduces all damage taken by 10%. In addition when you block or dodge a melee attack you gain 3% of maximum mana. ( no longer a blessing so no more a buff, but a must for pally tanks)

Hammer of the Righteous - Rank 1/1
Hammer the current target for 30% weapon damage, causing a wave of light that hits all targets within 8 yards for 583 to 873 Holy damage. Grants a charge of Holy Power. ( complete change of what its like now instead of a must use will be used only when AoE tanking)

Wrath of the Lightbringer - Rank 2/2
Increases the damage by 60% of your Crusader Strike and Judgement and increases the critical strike chance by 30% of your Holy Wrath and Hammer of Wrath. ( another no brainer a must have )

Shield of the Righteous - Rank 1/1
Slam the target with your shield, causing Holy damage. Consumes all charges of Holy Power to determine damage dealt:

1 Holy Power: 20% Attack Power
2 Holy Power: 60% Attack Power
3 Holy Power: 120% Attack Power (Single target threat generator yummy )

Grand Crusader - Rank 2/2
When your Crusader Strike or Hammer of the Righteous deal damage to your primary target, they have a 20% chance of refreshing the cooldown on your next Avenger's Shield. (a must have although i will go into detail at end of this post on my thoughts here)

Vindication - Rank 1/1
Your Crusader Strike and Hammer of the Righteous reduce physical damage done by their primary targets by 10% for 30 sec. In addition, your Hammer of Justice will interrupt creatures that are immune to stuns. (10% less damage is always nice )

Holy Shield - Rank 1/1
Using Shield of the Righteous or Inquisition increases your block chance by 15% for 20 sec. ( complete revamp to this spell but ofc totally needed)

Guarded by the Light - Rank 2/2
Increases your Word of Glory by 60% when used to heal yourself. Any overhealing will create a protective shield equal to the amount of overhealing that lasts for 6 sec. In addition, your Word of Glory will also cause Holy Shield. ( This sounds great although as i said how often we use WoG is another mater but anything that procs Holy Shield is a bonus)

Divine Guardian - Rank 1/1
All party or raid members within 30 yards, excluding the Paladin, take 20% reduced damage for 6 sec. ( this is the most talked about spell in pally tree atm a huge must for any pally tank, with 2 pally tanks in raid 20% less damage for 12 secs yummy)

Sacred Duty - Rank 2/2
Your Judgements have a 50% chance of making your next Shield of the Righteous a critical strike. Lasts 15 sec. ( another good threat builder )

Shield of the Templar - Rank 3/3
Reduces the cooldown of Avenger's Shield by 9 sec, Guardian of Ancient Kings by 3 min, and Avenging Wrath by 60 sec. (3 talents points is alot but anything which reduces GoAK downtime is a winner to me)

Ardent Defender - Rank 1/1
Reduce damage taken by 20% for 10 sec. While Ardent Defender is active, the next attack that would otherwise kill you will instead cause you to be healed for 15% of your maximum health. ( this is now not a passive spell ie we will need to hit the button rather than it proccing as in WoTLK so it will be a oh shit button for pallys)

Thats my main talent tree spend ones i completly missed out are:

Reckoning - Rank 2/2
You have a 20% chance after blocking an attack for your next 4 weapon swings within 8 sec to generate an additional attack. ( this never worked on boss fights if its been changed it will deffiently need to be look at)

Improved Hammer of Justice - Rank 2/2
Decreases the cooldown of your Hammer of Justice spell by 20 sec. ( to me a waste of 2 points in the tree)

The other points i have spent in the 2 other trees are quite straight forward and are all about increasing damage and threat as for increase in range of judgements going forward i think judgements will be either the first (pull) or 2nd attack so the more range the better.

Now Avengers Shield ok atm we throw this and it bounces off target and only 2 more causing huge threat for us pallys , but the way i see tanking in Cat and from what i read on forums AoE tanking is now probally only 5/10% of the time so my belief is i will change my Glyph over to making this a single target spell but increasing the damage done by 100% ( this ofc if blizz has not remove this glyph in cat ) people say it shouldnt bounce and break CC but it is on PTR and BeTa well at least, hex, rooted no sore about other CC targets, so as little AoE pulls are needed i see it better to get huge threat on solo target most of the time as we will still have consecration and now Holy Wrath hit all mobs instead of just undead this will be now our AoE taking tools)

Retribution (7 Points)

Crusade - Rank 3/3
Increases the damage of your Crusader Strike, Hammer of the Righteous and Templar's Verdict by 30% and the damage and healing of your Holy Shock by 30%.

Improved Judgement - Rank 2/2
Increases the range of your Judgement by 20 yards.

Pursuit of Justice - Rank 2/2
You have a 100% chance to gain a charge of Holy Power when struck by a Stun, Fear or Immobilize effect. In addition, increases your movement and mounted movement speed by 15%. This effect does not stack with other movement speed increasing effects.

Holy (3 Points)
Judgements of the Pure - Rank 3/3
Your Judgement increases your casting and melee haste by 9% for 1 min

Anyway thats my first draft as i have said no way complete or the final product and i'm probally way off the mark with my talents i am normally lol , any questions or feedback would be greatly appricated
Prettysweet

Re: Talent Build for new patch and CaT

Postby econ21 » Mon Oct 04, 2010 4:02 am

Like you, I am pretty unsure how WoG will turn out. My initial reaction is unfavorable, but it seems Blizzard really want us to use it, so maybe it will be worth talenting.

Aside from that, the whole talent revamp leaves me underwhelmed. We don't seem to have much more real choice than before. It seems to be just - talent WoG or not; talent consecration or not - and a few other such variants.

My only comment on your plans concerns avenger shield:

Prettysweet wrote:Now Avengers Shield ok atm we throw this and it bounces off target and only 2 more causing huge threat for us pallys , but the way i see tanking in Cat and from what i read on forums AoE tanking is now probally only 5/10% of the time so my belief is i will change my Glyph over to making this a single target spell but increasing the damage done by 100% ( this ofc if blizz has not remove this glyph in cat ) people say it shouldnt bounce and break CC but it is on PTR and BeTa well at least, hex, rooted no sore about other CC targets, so as little AoE pulls are needed i see it better to get huge threat on solo target most of the time as we will still have consecration and now Holy Wrath hit all mobs instead of just undead this will be now our AoE taking tools)

I am not sure that in Cataclysm we will be in fewer situations where we will be wanting AOE (i.e. fewer or smaller trash packs), just that the AOE tools we will have will be fewer (no SoC cleave, weaker or less consecration). So keeping AS to hit three targets may be more valuable in Cata, not less. Currently, I glyph it and find I don't miss the bounce, but in Cata, I may go back. I wonder how easy it will be to reglyph on the fly? If it is like re-speccing – you lose all your mana, forget it. But otherwise, surely we will constantly be switching glyphs between trash and bosses (what a chore!).
econ21

Postby KysenMurrin » Mon Oct 04, 2010 10:33 am

I don't think there's any reason not to spec 3/3 Divinity. Increased healing on you increases your chances of living and saves healer mana, as well as buffing your Word of Glory even further. Seals of the Pure is a much weaker talent given the low damage of seals currently for Prot in 4.0.
Temporarily playing WoW again.
Donnan - Nangun - Kysen - Kysen - Mardun - Timkins

Mostly-Book Blog.
KysenMurrin

Postby Phonic » Tue Oct 05, 2010 4:06 pm

KysenMurrin wrote:I don't think there's any reason not to spec 3/3 Divinity. Increased healing on you increases your chances of living and saves healer mana, as well as buffing your Word of Glory even further. Seals of the Pure is a much weaker talent given the low damage of seals currently for Prot in 4.0.

Well the numbers aren't final yet, but Theck's initial run suggests that SotP is still a viable TPS increase. Whether that will/can be outweighted by the cushion that Divinity provides is probably highly dependant on what you're doing, ie. leveling, heroics, raids (progression or farm).

I just put up a few build choices in the Cata forum, check that out as it talks about the different scenerios that you may want a different spec. Personally I run with 2 prot specs all the time so it'll be fun to be able to switch on the fly.
Phonic

Return to Basic Training & Talents