Remove Advertisements

PTR client available for download

Anything, including off-topic posts

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

Re: PTR client available for download

Postby Flex » Tue Sep 28, 2010 8:30 am

WATERBOYsh wrote:One of the randoms I got was hall of stone, and the Brann event where the adds come streaming in it felt like a lot of times everything was on cd and I was just waiting for stuff to become available. It was no big deal because the adds die so fast, but I didn't like not being able to pick up the adds like I wanted.

I stopped actively tanking that event a long time ago and usually /dance with the healer.

3) I was very dissapointed that my dps dropped drastically. I was only able to sustain about 2k dps on a heroic boss. I felt like I didn't hardly contribute any to the bosses death.

I noticed the opposite. Trash DPS was down but boss DPS was up simply because mana was no longer an issue.
We live in a society where people born on third base constantly try to steal second, yet we expect people born with two strikes against them to hit a homerun on the first pitch.
Flex

Postby Arees » Tue Sep 28, 2010 1:05 pm

Flex wrote:
WATERBOYsh wrote:
3) I was very dissapointed that my dps dropped drastically. I was only able to sustain about 2k dps on a heroic boss. I felt like I didn't hardly contribute any to the bosses death.

I noticed the opposite. Trash DPS was down but boss DPS was up simply because mana was no longer an issue.

Well I think part of it was that the bosses would die so fast that I'd only get off 1 ShoR. I even skipped doing a 1 hopo ShoR at the beginning. I even tried just using ShoR every time I got a hopo and that seemed to be about the same.

However, last night I did a 10 man toc (which btw, only the first boss is available) and then we went over to icc (of which only the first wing is available) and I did just fine. With raid buffs and everything I was pulling slightly lower dps on trash (which we were still able to aoe zerg just fine) and about the same dps on the bosses. With raid buffs and vengeance fully stacked my ShoR was critting for almost 30k.

Consecrate, Holy Wrath, and HotR while tab judging and CSing was plenty of aggro to hold off the dps on the aoe packs.

My main concern though is still that I seem to be doing less... even though im having to watch for GC procs, SD procs, watch my hopo, health, raids health, CDs (I was rarely at 100% hp and tried to chain my CDs when I could... I used DP on cd pretty much and saved AD for when I was fairly low) it still felt like for a large chunk of the time all my abilities were on cd and I was auto attacking and twiddling my thumbs. The general sentiment on the ptr from other prot pallies is the same as mine, and thats that we need a filler attack that does a small amount of dmg that we can hit when everything else is on cd. I think if we had a holy devastate that hit for maybe 50% of weapon dmg as holy with no cd other than the gcd then we'd be in really good shape.

Also... I'm on the US PvE reamlm.... /join maintankadin if you're there cuz I've been the only one there for the last 2 days!
Arees

Postby Brutalicus » Tue Sep 28, 2010 5:31 pm

Question about the PTR, as I haven't logged on in a week or so.

Why is my PTR Launcher requiring me to download ANOTHER 15GB? I already installed the damn thing. The repair function won't work either (I'm assuming it doesn't work for PTR). Anyone else get this?

Edit: bonus! I re-downloaded it to the point where I *should* be able to login, but it won't work, I got a "3D acceleration" blah blah error a couple of times. It tells me to install DirectX 9, when I have DX 11. Derp.
Brutalicus, Garona (Horde) Tankadin
Brutalicus

Postby Klaudandus » Tue Sep 28, 2010 5:47 pm

After 9/18 -- Blizz came up with a new version of the PTR that requires you to download all of the 16 Gbs again.
The Element of Forum Hyperbole
---
Flüttershy - Draenei Protection Paladin, Aerie Peak
Klaudandus - BE Protection Paladin, Feathermoon (Semi-retired)
Klaudandus

Postby Brutalicus » Tue Sep 28, 2010 5:52 pm

Oh, that's what all that business was about. When you put it that way, I look pretty stupid. Can I just let the launcher go, or do I have to uninstall what I have first?
Brutalicus

Postby Klaudandus » Tue Sep 28, 2010 5:56 pm

Launcher does everything automatically.

Also, for those that havent realized. Build 13082 on the PTR just got released.
Minor changes, the only change for paladins was actually a change to Rule of Law
Retribution
Rule of Law no longer increases the critical effect chance of Holy Shock, affects Hammer of the Righteous instead.

Expect number tweakings -- I would play on the PTR but got to go do lootship on ICC10 and curse under my breath for the shield not dropping 20 weeks in a row.
---
Klaudandus

Postby Brutalicus » Tue Sep 28, 2010 6:00 pm

Klaudandus wrote:Launcher does everything automatically.

Also, for those that havent realized. Build 13082 on the PTR just got released.
Minor changes, the only change for paladins was actually a change to Rule of Law
Retribution
Rule of Law no longer increases the critical effect chance of Holy Shock, affects Hammer of the Righteous instead.

Expect number tweakings -- I would play on the PTR but got to go do lootship on ICC10 and curse under my breath for the shield not dropping 20 weeks in a row.

Thanks. And fuck that shield. Granted, I haven't played live in a few months, but now everybody and their warlock alt has the heroic Neverending Winter. My regular one is ok, I guess... grumble
Brutalicus

Postby djlar » Wed Sep 29, 2010 9:48 am

The worst thing that could happen is that the shield will drop on PTR and not on live.. LOL

So new build (and final?) today right?

Gaaaawwd we are so screwed if everything is set in stone like it is... I think my main will be my hunter now..
djlar

Postby Klaudandus » Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:05 am

Not quite. Amazon has Cata listed till the last weeks of November, and other rumors have it released till December.

Granted, most of the stuff that's gonna change between now and Cata is number tweaking *sigh*
---
Klaudandus

Postby Brutalicus » Thu Sep 30, 2010 2:48 pm

Eh, I'll start playing again when 4.0.3 comes. Even if Prot is fuxed until 85 (or 81, perhaps), at least then I can level new alts!
Correct me if I'm wrong, but 4.0.1 is the game mechanics/UI changes and 4.0.3 is the Cataclysm, right?
Brutalicus

Postby Arcand » Thu Sep 30, 2010 6:34 pm

Brutalicus wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong, but 4.0.1 is the game mechanics/UI changes and 4.0.3 is the Cataclysm, right?

As a tank, I think of them as the "personal cataclysm" and the "geographic cataclysm". :roll:
Arcand

Postby Brutalicus » Thu Sep 30, 2010 9:07 pm

Arcand wrote:
Brutalicus wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong, but 4.0.1 is the game mechanics/UI changes and 4.0.3 is the Cataclysm, right?

As a tank, I think of them as the "personal cataclysm" and the "geographic cataclysm". :roll:

I'm so glad I'm not raiding, or else I'd be all like...
Brutalicus

Postby Cronus » Fri Oct 01, 2010 9:43 am

I am enjoying flying around in PTR on my druid in bird form. There is a bug that if you port into thunder Bluff in bird form from shatt or dal, you stay that way. So i have enjoyed flying around the continent and seeing all the glory from the air. I stopped into Org to check it out and was buggy from the air. Fun times though with everyone wondering why the hell they couldnt fly and I could. I told them it was magic...
Cronus

Postby Epimer » Sat Oct 02, 2010 11:21 am

I've been doing some more heroics on the PTR and I still don't like the feeling of things. I do like the variability, but it still feels awkward. And I'm still not holding aggro as much as I'd like; single targets are fine, but I'm frequently losing mobs to over-zealous early WWs, and if I get a reasonably geared Boomkin then they're going to spend more time tanking than I am. I'm used to mashing my tab key to keep ahead of blinkered DPS in heroics on live, but I don't seem to be able to do anything to keep AoE-happy players at bay on the PTR (except for make a pre-heroic sacrifice to a deity of choice for as many Grand Crusader procs as possible).

I just had an HoS run in which I was seeing the mob peeling I'm fighting against, and at the end of the run Recount looked like this:

It seems odd to me that - unless Recount isn't fully accurate on the PTR, which I wouldn't find surprising - I can top damage done, have a threat modifier that the DPS don't and still be losing some mobs to AoE. And if the warrior charged a mob on first contact, stunning it well out of range, and then the Warlock predictably opened up full throttle...well, that's even more of a pain than on live due to limited options for snap aggro.

I also dislike having so much of my DPS/threat hanging on Avenger's Shield, not least because it's on a proc and a preferred pulling ability. Hammer of the Righteous also feels really wimpy.
Epimer

Postby Shathus » Sat Oct 02, 2010 12:18 pm

Your damage (and/or % done) from SotR seems lower than I would expect. While it wouldn't have much of an affect on your AoE tanking still stuck out to me. You had 39 CS and 26 SotR, so I'm guessing you were either doing a lot of 1 HP slams to get HS up quickly, or you just weren't waiting until the full 3 HP to get the most damage from it.

Your overall damage done looks about the same as what I've done in PTR heroics, though I usually get stuck with the 6k BM hunter/lock/DK that pulls off me in AoE everytime too.
Shathus
Maintankadonor

PreviousNext

Return to General