Cataclysm Paladin Tanking Videos 4.0

SPOILERS Discussion about the Cataclysm Beta SPOILERS

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

Re: Cataclysm Paladin Tanking Videos 4.0

Postby towelliee » Thu Sep 23, 2010 1:03 pm

Bastien wrote:
Mert wrote:
theckhd wrote:Once I have some sort of UI element to track those conveniently, I'm sure it will feel a lot more comfortable.

I heard NeedToKnow and ThisJustHappened work relatively well on the PTR/Beta client - I know it's probably not exactly the kind of thing you're looking for but it might help for the interim at least.

I suspect that the guys behind clc_ret are working on a more visual addon for Prot rotation purposes too.

I haven't configured any alerts yet, so I don't know if it actually works, but Power Auras is reported to work, and does this type of thing.

clc_ret already works for prot (sort of). It shows your next spell, and seems to have 969 down fairly well. It would just be a matter of setting up the right priority queues. That said, I haven't tested it on Beta yet.

I am use to having sexycooldown working but haven't tried it on beta or ptr. I just installed xperl last night cause I like the Holy Power bar that accompanies it.

Chasey wrote:How hard is the adjustment to the new rotation? I'm going to miss HoR in my regular rotation...its my crutch.

It took me a bit to get use to not having it do damage. I still sometimes out of blue pull a boss with it lol.
towelliee

Postby Arianne » Thu Sep 23, 2010 1:04 pm

Power Auras hasn't pushed the latest developer version that has the Holy Power changes working, so while you can configure a Holy Power setting, it doesn't actually work yet. :\
Arianne

Postby Sabindeus » Thu Sep 23, 2010 2:03 pm

towelliee wrote:I am use to having sexycooldown working but haven't tried it on beta or ptr. I just installed xperl last night cause I like the Holy Power bar that accompanies it.

What? Since when does X-Perl have a hopow bar?
Turn In, an NPC interaction automator - http://wow.curse.com/downloads/wow-addo ... rn-in.aspx
Sabindeus

Postby Mert » Thu Sep 23, 2010 2:23 pm

Bastien wrote:clc_ret already works for prot (sort of). It shows your next spell, and seems to have 969 down fairly well. It would just be a matter of setting up the right priority queues. That said, I haven't tested it on Beta yet.

Oh aye, it definitely works for Prot on live (though I personally only have it display for Ret) - it probably technically works on the PTR as well as, like you say, all it's really doing is showing you the priority you program into it. Might be missing some of our newer spells, however - notably Crusader Strike.

Not in the beta though, so no real way of testing unfortunately.
Mert

Postby Bastien » Thu Sep 23, 2010 2:53 pm

Mert wrote:
Bastien wrote:clc_ret already works for prot (sort of). It shows your next spell, and seems to have 969 down fairly well. It would just be a matter of setting up the right priority queues. That said, I haven't tested it on Beta yet.

Oh aye, it definitely works for Prot on live (though I personally only have it display for Ret) - it probably technically works on the PTR as well as, like you say, all it's really doing is showing you the priority you program into it. Might be missing some of our newer spells, however - notably Crusader Strike.

Not in the beta though, so no real way of testing unfortunately.

I'm hoping to get a chance to test this tonight on the Beta, so I can let you know. ;-)
ImageImage
Bastien

Postby PsiVen » Thu Sep 23, 2010 2:58 pm

thatguy wrote:When you have a group that knows how to CC and that understands kill orders, how long are your heroic runs? 30 minutes? 40? Less?

I'm getting very excited about Cata watching these videos so thank you for taking the time to post them Psi and Towelliee.

Well, that HoO run was 2.5 hours with ~15 wipes. I would guess that a smooth clear would still be over an hour, the place is pretty big.
Gladiator Psiven, Retired Tankadin
WoW-sober since March 2014
Longtime addict of Space - Glory Through Conquest
PsiVen

Postby alsache » Thu Sep 23, 2010 3:15 pm

Bastien wrote:
alsache wrote:IceHUD also works fine on PTR and uses the default holy power "bar" graphic.

IceHUD is still giving me a bunch of errors. Do you have LUA errors turned off?

I don't believe so, but I'll double check tonight. I'm getting RDX errors and even default Blizz frame errors...
alsache

Postby towelliee » Thu Sep 23, 2010 3:16 pm

Did Grim Batol Normal last night took 45 minutes. I'd imagine the Heroic might be a lot long but it is definitely a short instance.
towelliee

Postby Bastien » Thu Sep 23, 2010 3:19 pm

towelliee wrote:Did Grim Batol Normal last night took 45 minutes. I'd imagine the Heroic might be a lot long but it is definitely a short instance.

I would imagine only because of the learning curve. There's also the fact that there's more damage to be done (bosses have more HP, etc.). But I can't imagine that if it's 45 mins on normal, that heroic would be more than 2x that (90 mins).

I haven't run a heroic yet. I'm hoping I'll get a chance to tonight.
ImageImage
Bastien

Postby towelliee » Fri Sep 24, 2010 11:45 am

If you look at the feedback on the forums most heroics are taking longer than 2 hours cause of the learning curve and healing/tanking. I will posting my Shadowfang keep video of the first few trash pulls and boss. 11 total wipes for first 5 pulls then 4 on 1st boss which I thought was a lot until I read on forums people wiped 20 times on way to first boss.
towelliee

Postby Bastien » Fri Sep 24, 2010 12:15 pm

towelliee wrote:If you look at the feedback on the forums most heroics are taking longer than 2 hours cause of the learning curve and healing/tanking. I will posting my Shadowfang keep video of the first few trash pulls and boss. 11 total wipes for first 5 pulls then 4 on 1st boss which I thought was a lot until I read on forums people wiped 20 times on way to first boss.

I managed to get some Beta time last night. (I have to trade off between beta and raid time since my guild is still actively raiding, and RL limits other time I get to play.) I'm trying to familiarize myself with the instances running them on normal, and the above doesn't surprise me. Given the amount of damage I was taking (even on normal), I can certainly believe that the Heroics are very punishing.

Hopefully I'll get my freebie blues gemmed/enchanted this weekend and should be able to get in some heroics.
ImageImage
Bastien

Postby Arcand » Fri Sep 24, 2010 12:19 pm

theckhd wrote:All Your Parse Are Belong To Us.

I'm requesting that anyone doing testing on the beta or PTR sign up for a WoL account and upload parses. If you guys doing tanking videos would do the same, I'd appreciate it. That would give us a wealth of data we can dig through if we want to double check mechanics issues.

When I checked this morning I wasn't in and maintankadin had six pending applications. I assume I didn't make the minimum gear score. :(
Arcand

Postby towelliee » Fri Sep 24, 2010 12:34 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0l2Zn0ZIX1I -- Heroic Shadowfang Keep - Cataclysm Paladin Tanking Beta 4.0 (trash to the first boss)

enjoy!
towelliee

Postby Arcand » Fri Sep 24, 2010 12:52 pm

I'm detecting some nonverbal information when you talk about "this gear that Blizzard has given us". Is it rough? Do you think you'd have significantly better kit if you'd leveled an 80 premade to 85?
Arcand

Postby towelliee » Fri Sep 24, 2010 1:06 pm

I will make a short video on gear I did before I thought I posted it.
towelliee

PreviousNext

Return to Cataclysm