Solo Magtheridon possible for a paladin?

Strats / Info that doesn't fit in a specific instance

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, guillex

Re: Solo Magtheridon possible for a paladin?

Postby knaughty » Wed Sep 22, 2010 7:17 am

Tried it a couple of times, best was a de-spawn at 40%. Can't be arsed dealing with the despawning boss.
This isn't the "Offtankadin" forum. My MoP FAQ: http://tinyurl.com/FAQ-5-0
- Knaughty.
knaughty
Maintankadonor

Location: Sydney, plotting my next diatribe against the forces of ignorance!

Postby theckhd » Wed Sep 22, 2010 8:21 am

I logged out in my Mag gear and spec. I go more heavily towards the defensive side of things, which ends up being a 15-minute fight or so.

I guessed that DMC:G would have a bigger effect than the abom trinket, but I haven't run any calculations to test it. The DMC:G also has the advantage of giving a defensive bonus through block value. In the end, almost any set of 264/277 gear should work.

Boss despawns only seem to happen after an Earthquake, and (at least in my limited test) only if you're trying to run back to him during that period. If you stand still after earthquake until he melees you, then you should be able to move him without despawning him.

I have no idea exactly what causes this mechanically, but I think it's likely a weird pathing/prediction bug. If standing still, the game can determine a path pretty easily regardless of where you stand. If you're running towards him, the game might project your position underneath one of the raised sections, which might screw up the pathing algorithm enough to despawn him.
"Theck, Bringer of Numbers and Pounding Headaches," courtesy of Grehn|Skipjack.
MATLAB 5.x, Simcraft 6.x, Call to Arms 6.0, Talent Spec & Glyph Guide 5.x, Blog: Sacred Duty
theckhd

Postby knaughty » Wed Sep 22, 2010 3:01 pm

theckhd wrote:Boss despawns only seem to happen after an Earthquake, and (at least in my limited test) only if you're trying to run back to him during that period. If you stand still after earthquake until he melees you, then you should be able to move him without despawning him.

I had waited, and was walking him back to centre. POOF!
- Knaughty.
knaughty
Maintankadonor

Postby inthedrops » Wed Sep 22, 2010 3:46 pm

knaughty wrote:I had waited, and was walking him back to centre. POOF!

Just plant yourself in the wall behind him, move left and right while hugging the wall to keep mobs in front of you as best you can (like 5 yard movements back and forth every 10 seconds or so). You'll take more damage due to standing in all the crap and mobs still getting behind you but you've got the gear for it.

Also, I agree with theck that it bugs around earthquakes. I'm certain that it bugged for me while trying to "run back to him" during an earthquake. Since planting myself against the wall I haven't had a reset but I could just be lucky (3 or 4 kills this way with no resets vs. the first night I tried him in the center of the room it reset numerous times before I pulled my hair out and tried the plant thing)
inthedrops
Maintankadonor

Postby lythac » Thu Sep 23, 2010 1:58 am

knaughty wrote:
theckhd wrote:Boss despawns only seem to happen after an Earthquake, and (at least in my limited test) only if you're trying to run back to him during that period. If you stand still after earthquake until he melees you, then you should be able to move him without despawning him.

I tried him a couple of times and he despawned -.-

The despawning reminds me Scourgelord Tyrannus in PoS. I wonder if it is any damage caused to him before he reengages you that causes the despawn - SoV dot and Consecration.

Then again he was able to despawn at level 70 with a 25 man raid, it just didn't happen often.
Ryshad / Lythac of <Heretic> Nagrand-EU
lythac

Postby theckhd » Thu Sep 23, 2010 7:22 am

lythac wrote:I tried him a couple of times and he despawned -.-

The despawning reminds me Scourgelord Tyrannus in PoS. I wonder if it is any damage caused to him before he reengages you that causes the despawn - SoV dot and Consecration.

Then again he was able to despawn at level 70 with a 25 man raid, it just didn't happen often.

I doubt it, simply because I had SoV on him at all times. I was pretty sure it had to do with pathing/prediction, but Knaughty had him despawn even without that. It might be something subtle we're missing - maybe one part of the floor near the outside is buggy?
MATLAB 5.x, Simcraft 6.x, Call to Arms 6.0, Talent Spec & Glyph Guide 5.x, Blog: Sacred Duty
theckhd

Postby lythac » Thu Sep 23, 2010 7:57 am

theckhd wrote:
lythac wrote:I tried him a couple of times and he despawned -.-

I doubt it, simply because I had SoV on him at all times. I was pretty sure it had to do with pathing/prediction, but Knaughty had him despawn even without that. It might be something subtle we're missing - maybe one part of the floor near the outside is buggy?

I thought his swing timer reset during earthquake so when close to him its more likely he will get the hit in before the SoV dot.

If it is a pathing issue to the tank wouldn't we have either seen aggro passed to 2nd highest on threat when in a raid at 70 or the same number of despawns as when solo?

So I changed my mind about the SoV dot.

I guess what kept him from despawning in a raid was all the melee being thrown around inside his hit box, the chances of all of them being thrown out at the same time would be very small. Might be his position that is important (with buggy ground) and if you're out of range, you evade him. When Knaughty was moving back he hit such a spot when moving out of bosses range?
lythac

Postby Belloc » Thu Sep 23, 2010 9:00 am

lythac wrote:
knaughty wrote:

I tried him a couple of times and he despawned -.-

Scourgelord Tyrannus doesn't behave that way -- it's a common misconception. He despawns if you delay your attack, not if you attack him immediately.
Belloc

Postby theckhd » Thu Sep 23, 2010 6:17 pm

[quote="lythac"]I thought his swing timer reset during earthquake so when close to him its more likely he will get the hit in before the SoV dot./quote]
I was tanking him in the center, so there were several occasions where he knocked me to a far wall and had to run the whole way to the edge. That takes 2-3 seconds at least, it's unlikely that SoV didn't tick in that period any of the 3 or 4 times it happened.
theckhd

Postby lythac » Thu Sep 23, 2010 6:41 pm

theckhd wrote:
lythac wrote:I thought his swing timer reset during earthquake so when close to him its more likely he will get the hit in before the SoV dot.

I was tanking him in the center, so there were several occasions where he knocked me to a far wall and had to run the whole way to the edge. That takes 2-3 seconds at least, it's unlikely that SoV didn't tick in that period any of the 3 or 4 times it happened.

Yeah I gave up on that idea.
lythac

Postby lythac » Thu Sep 23, 2010 6:46 pm

Kellann » Thu Jul 03, 2008 10:48 pm wrote:So - in my dragging guildies through this encounter the last 2 weeks I've had threat go really wonky.

Both times I've MT'd, both times someone random got ROFLSTOMPED when the boss decided that he temporarily didn't like how I tasted.

First time I was doing just fine - nearest DPS was at something like 55% threat (omen - all running newest)...when around 50% health Mag decides to go and destroy the #2 then #3 threat people. After he's satisfied with their deaths, he comes back to me and we continue as normal.

^ A 2 year old post. Looks to be the same thing that is happening today, now he despawns due to not having a 2nd target to go for.
lythac

Postby knaughty » Thu Sep 23, 2010 6:47 pm

Both times he despawned for me was after an Earthquake, but I stood still, waited till he reached me, and had started a melee-range 969 cycle and was moving him towards the centre, then *poof*.

Reminds me of "she deep breaths MOAR!" Lythac's suggestion is the best one I've seen - it's an evade bug.

We don't know what the trigger is. I seem to recall it occasionally happening back at level 70 with a full raid beating on him, but nothing like as much as it does when you solo him.

I'm not planning to head back for more testing - it isn't interesting enough for me. Clearly he can be soloed by some people, and on top of that, apparently I could manage it if he didn't vanish. Curiosity sated, 500 gold isn't worth the annoyance it provokes.
- Knaughty.
knaughty
Maintankadonor

Postby lythac » Thu Sep 23, 2010 7:12 pm

For it to be an evade bug the floor would have to be littered with spots, making it happen so often when soloing and possible with 25 raiders.

Looking at a kill video on youtube and at the roof crashing down, is it targeted on players or targeted on the floor? If it is targeted on the floor (which I think it is) how does that happen? The floor isn't split into multiple sections?
lythac

Postby knaughty » Thu Sep 23, 2010 8:26 pm

lythac wrote:For it to be an evade bug the floor would have to be littered with spots, making it happen so often when soloing and possible with 25 raiders.

My guess is that Maggy has some code in place to prevent him walking out the door and possibly not blocking access to the cubes?

This leads to him having some sort of “switch to secondary target” mode as mentioned above – tank isn’t valid target, switch to next highest target and kill them, oh tank valid again, switch back.

Except when soloing, this changes to “Meh tank invalid, no secondary, despawn”.

My last attempt before I gave up I brought along a boomkin and we got a LONG way with no despawn. Eventually Boomkin got himself dead, and I only got another 20% before he despawned, which was in-line with my previous tries where he was vanishing around 70-80%.
- Knaughty.
knaughty
Maintankadonor

Postby inthedrops » Sat Sep 25, 2010 11:41 am

I'm starting to think part of it might have to do with having someone close to him (or not) at the end of the earthquake.

Since there are so many despawn issues, I went ahead and made a quick video showing how I do it. I haven't had him despawn in the last 6 weeks or so since I've been farming him. When I first tried him I had plenty of despawns. Since doing what I do in the video, no despawns.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nv5CK03Fkjk

Combat log if interested here:
http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/z5igd60e7y3py2ej/dashboard/?s=129&e=811
inthedrops
Maintankadonor

PreviousNext

Return to General Strats