Cataclysm Paladin Tanking Videos 4.0

SPOILERS Discussion about the Cataclysm Beta SPOILERS

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

Re: Cataclysm Paladin Tanking Videos 4.0

Postby Balanus » Wed Sep 22, 2010 10:13 pm

not exactly related to the topic but it seems everyone got some holy power addon they use
i just cant find one i tried the one that linked here but i cant seem to make it work
what exactly do i need to edit?
Balanus

Postby alsache » Thu Sep 23, 2010 3:08 am

IceHUD also works fine on PTR and uses the default holy power "bar" graphic.
alsache

Postby thatguy » Thu Sep 23, 2010 6:20 am

When you have a group that knows how to CC and that understands kill orders, how long are your heroic runs? 30 minutes? 40? Less?

I'm getting very excited about Cata watching these videos so thank you for taking the time to post them Psi and Towelliee.
thatguy

Postby theckhd » Thu Sep 23, 2010 7:07 am

All Your Parse Are Belong To Us.

I'm requesting that anyone doing testing on the beta or PTR sign up for a WoL account and upload parses. If you guys doing tanking videos would do the same, I'd appreciate it. That would give us a wealth of data we can dig through if we want to double check mechanics issues.
"Theck, Bringer of Numbers and Pounding Headaches," courtesy of Grehn|Skipjack.
MATLAB 5.x, Simcraft 6.x, Call to Arms 6.0, Talent Spec & Glyph Guide 5.x, Blog: Sacred Duty
theckhd

Postby Sabindeus » Thu Sep 23, 2010 7:20 am

Because X-Perl doesn't have one yet, I actually extracted Blizzard's FrameXML code for the default Holy Power Bar, and made my own addon out of it.
Turn In, an NPC interaction automator - http://wow.curse.com/downloads/wow-addo ... rn-in.aspx
Sabindeus

Postby Balanus » Thu Sep 23, 2010 7:50 am

can anyone help me pls?
i dont really like icehud and i cant make addons myself :(
Balanus

Postby Shathus » Thu Sep 23, 2010 8:23 am

In towellie's original thread, he mentioned NugComboBar for the holy power points, that combined with Blessed to track important buffs has helped me a lot! The version of Blessed that I had wasn't tracking Sacred Duty, but it was pretty easy to go into the .lua file and add it to the tracked spell list.

I just need to get a unit frame to move myself and target/target of target to the same area and I should be all set for now
Shathus
Maintankadonor

Postby Bastien » Thu Sep 23, 2010 8:40 am

alsache wrote:IceHUD also works fine on PTR and uses the default holy power "bar" graphic.

IceHUD is still giving me a bunch of errors. Do you have LUA errors turned off?
ImageImage
Bastien

Postby Chasey » Thu Sep 23, 2010 8:53 am

I really want to thank you guys for posting this up. Its nice to see some of the mobs we encounter and it looks like we might actually have tanks that are capable of tanking again instead of the insta que gues who are ret w/pvp-tank gear.

Towellie- thanks for sticking with it. That last threat was kind of ugly and you handled it pretty well.

Just putting these up and seeing that not everyone hates pally tanking so far is nice to hear.

How hard is the adjustment to the new rotation? I'm going to miss HoR in my regular rotation...its my crutch.
Chasey

Postby Arcand » Thu Sep 23, 2010 9:49 am

Chasey wrote:How hard is the adjustment to the new rotation? I'm going to miss HoR in my regular rotation...its my crutch.

2-3 instances and you're mostly used to it. You could do some of that learning by killing
quest mobs but (as you probably know) you don't develop a real sense of how strong your
threat moves are until you have people trying to pull things off you.

The major adjustment for me was, when I had an empty GCD, to

a) not freak out about it, and
b) use that time to scan the bar, check HP (I'm using default UI so this is harder than one would prefer) and determine what the next series is going to be.

Now that I'm pretty much past that stage, I'm working on monitoring Holy Shield more carefully
and trying to have Sacred Duty up more often before I hit Shield of the Slam.

As soon as this stuff goes live I'll be setting up TellMeWhen so I don't have to scan three
different corners of the screen. That'll be nice.
Arcand

Postby theckhd » Thu Sep 23, 2010 10:11 am

Yeah, I was playing around on a dummy with a premade for a little bit last night, and it wasn't too bad. The biggest problem in my mind is that the cooldowns on Holy Wrath and Consecration (and AS if it doesn't proc early) are so long that it's hard to get into a nice rhythm for those abilities.

Once I have some sort of UI element to track those conveniently, I'm sure it will feel a lot more comfortable.
"Theck, Bringer of Numbers and Pounding Headaches," courtesy of Grehn|Skipjack.
MATLAB 5.x, Simcraft 6.x, Call to Arms 6.0, Talent Spec & Glyph Guide 5.x, Blog: Sacred Duty
theckhd

Postby Mert » Thu Sep 23, 2010 11:45 am

towelliee wrote:I couldn't get a group on the PTR for the life of me so I got on Beta did a run of Vortex Pinnacle. Last Boss had 2.58 Million HP which isn't bad for single target tanking rotation reference. Enjoy! Also sorry I didn't see your parse statement until after I recorded :(

Well a part of me was secretly hoping you'd get a group for Hodir where jumping around and moving the boss are essential but I guess this will have to do :P

Just kidding, that's really helpful and thanks a lot for trying to get a PTR group together, it's much appreciated. And don't worry about the parse, I'm hoping Theck's rallying call will provide me with sufficient geeky stats to oooh and aaah at over the next month or so :)
Mert

Postby Mert » Thu Sep 23, 2010 11:48 am

theckhd wrote:Once I have some sort of UI element to track those conveniently, I'm sure it will feel a lot more comfortable.

I heard NeedToKnow and ThisJustHappened work relatively well on the PTR/Beta client - I know it's probably not exactly the kind of thing you're looking for but it might help for the interim at least.

I suspect that the guys behind clc_ret are working on a more visual addon for Prot rotation purposes too.
Mert

Postby Sabindeus » Thu Sep 23, 2010 11:51 am

Mert wrote:
theckhd wrote:Once I have some sort of UI element to track those conveniently, I'm sure it will feel a lot more comfortable.

I heard NeedToKnow and ThisJustHappened work relatively well on the PTR/Beta client - I know it's probably not exactly the kind of thing you're looking for but it might help for the interim at least.

I suspect that the guys behind clc_ret are working on a more visual addon for Prot rotation purposes too.

NeedToKnow looks pretty cool, but I wish I had a working Quartz
Turn In, an NPC interaction automator - http://wow.curse.com/downloads/wow-addo ... rn-in.aspx
Sabindeus

Postby Bastien » Thu Sep 23, 2010 12:46 pm

Mert wrote:

I haven't configured any alerts yet, so I don't know if it actually works, but Power Auras is reported to work, and does this type of thing.

clc_ret already works for prot (sort of). It shows your next spell, and seems to have 969 down fairly well. It would just be a matter of setting up the right priority queues. That said, I haven't tested it on Beta yet.
ImageImage
Bastien

PreviousNext

Return to Cataclysm